The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[ Proposal ] Veteran for Youth

Trade away Sedins, Vrbata, Bieksa, Edler, Richardson, Matthias, Vey, Bonino . Give Hamhuis the C for a couple years until a youth moves into the position.

With those assets traded we can hopefully acquire a top 5 pick in the coming draft . And also acquire a high talent franchise young player and more talented young players . Then we have a young skilled team full of hope . We have to trade our assets before they become liabilities.

Benning should get on this idea before other GMs read this proposal and do the same. Quickly mods close this up and send a message to Benning to follow the steps outlined by this proposal. Fast!

Trade away Sedins, Vrbata, Bieksa, Edler, Richardson, Matthias, Vey, Bonino . Give Hamhuis the C for a couple years until a youth moves into the position.

With those assets traded we can hopefully acquire a top 5 pick in the coming draft . And also acquire a high talent franchise young player and more talented young players . Then we have a young skilled team full of hope . We have to trade our assets before they become liabilities.

Oh my, just to be twelve again. :huh:

Some nice outside of the box thinking I like it! We could risk becoming the oilers, but if we held onto the right components maybe we could avoid that. Keep up the good work man! Really loving the new ideas and enthusiasm you are bringing to CDC!

So the obvious has been pointed out...we'd instantly become a bottom feeder (how many fans enjoyed last season?).

But what about the league salary cap minimum? We'd have to pull an Oilers/Horcoff and give Baertschi / Kenins / Clendening 6.0mil a year just to hit the floor.

We seem to be caught in a catch-22 here folks...same as we've been for over half a decade. Too many veterans and no room for youth. If we sacrifice some vets to gain youth we run the risk of losing ground in the standings. If we continue to keep 90% mediocre veterans (Sedin's excepted of course) and leave no room for youth then we run the risk of continuing to be a middle dweller.

I think the right course is a combination of the 2 methods. We stay the current course but dump 2 veterans per year (I nominate Higgins and Miller this summer). We then introduce the youth slowly under the mentorship of the remaining vets (this summer would be Baertschi and Markstrom or as I proposed...go sign Neuvirth as Lack's backup). Then summer 2016 we say bye bye to Juice and Vrbata...in comes Corrado and Virtainen. Following year is Hamhuis and Burrows, in come Subban and McCann or whoever. etc. etc.

So by say 2018, most all of the vets named by the OP are gone and our "youth" have various amounts of experience under their belts (some with 200+ games...imagine Horvat 2 seasons from now!).

Archived