The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

AV, Hartley, Predators Coach Jack Adams Finalists

In an earlier thread in Oct/Nov here on CDC "Who will be the first NHL coach to get fired..?"....My guess was Bob Hartley because he wasn't Burkes hire (he was Feasters),but I bet he was on very thin ice when Calgary got off to an unspectacular start....The Flames were expected to be close to the bottom of the Western Conference,..and they're still playing ......So he's my vote.

that is a terrible analogy.

Richard trophy is objective. Jack Adams nominations are subjective. If AV was a runaway candidate then he should get a nomination no question. But there were lots of other great options they could have given the nod to, and considering AV has already won the award twice, it would be nice to give another coach recognition for a great season.

He's won it once and completely deserves the nod this year, give it a rest.

Hartley has certainly done a great job, and his development of the youth is fantastic, as more prospects come on line over the next few years he's exactly the type of coach we need to bring all our great prospects up to an NHL level of play. On that note Laviolette did a fantastic job this year too. AV I'm not sold on, he has a pretty deep roster to work with, although, I will give it to him, the way he picks his matchups is pretty methodical. He does have a tendancy to snap under pressure, big games and down a goal or two he juggles his lines so often I think it winds up hurting his team more then anything. How can anyone play when they don't know whose on their line from one shift to the next.

I think Dave Cameron is the most deserving for what Ottawa did, even moreso than what Hartley did with the Flames.

I agree, Dave Cameron should've been nominated. He did an amazing job with Senators this year, pretty crazy if you see the turnaround that the team made.

He's won it once and completely deserves the nod this year, give it a rest.

Its his fourth nomination, i stand corrected on my claim he won it twice. As for giving it a rest... Im entitled to my opinion. I am not commenting in this thread for the sake of trolling. I think Dave Cameron, Jon Cooper, Willie Desjardins, Mike Yeo and Paul Maurice (most of whom have never been nominated) were all better options for the final spot.

that is a terrible analogy.

Richard trophy is objective. Jack Adams nominations are subjective. If AV was a runaway candidate then he should get a nomination no question. But there were lots of other great options they could have given the nod to, and considering AV has already won the award twice, it would be nice to give another coach recognition for a great season.

But the issue then is what you are awarding the award for. Are we awarding to award to someone who needs recognition or are we awarding it according to the trophy's actual description? Do we give the Jack Adams to someone who needs recognition or do we give it to the coach who was actually the best of the year, as the description says?

NEW YORK -- Bob Hartley of the Calgary Flames, Peter Laviolette of the Nashville Predators and Alain Vigneault of the New York Rangers are the three finalists for the 2014-15 Jack Adams Award, presented to the head coach who has "contributed the most to his team's success," the National Hockey League announced today.

Members of the NHL Broadcasters' Association submitted ballots for the Jack Adams Award at the conclusion of the regular season, with the top three vote-getters designated as finalists. The winner will be announced Wednesday, June 24, during the 2015 NHL Awards from the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.

widget.png

2015 NHL AWARDS
awards061513_325.jpg
Following are the finalists for the Jack Adams Award, in alphabetical order:

Bob Hartley, Calgary Flames

Hartley led the Flames (45-30-7, 97 points) to a 20-point gain in standings points over 2013-14, the highest jump among Western Conference teams and third-highest in the League overall, in capturing their first playoff berth since 2009. Calgary was among the NHL's best late-game teams, tying for first place in overtime wins (nine), ranking second in third-period goal differential (+31), third in wins when trailing after two periods (10) and fifth in points percentage when leading after 40 minutes (.923, 24-1-1). The Flames also recorded 1,557 blocked shots, tops in the League and the highest single-season total since the statistic was introduced. Hartley is a first-time Jack Adams Award finalist.

Peter Laviolette, Nashville Predators

The Predators showed gains across the board in Laviolette's first season in Nashville. The team’s 47 wins and 104 points were up nine and 16, respectively, over the corresponding figures from 2013-14 as the club qualified for the Stanley Cup Playoffs for the first time since 2012. The Predators were dramatically improved on home ice, posting a 28-9-4 mark at Bridgestone Arena after going 19-17-5 there in 2013-14. The team’s goal differential at 5-on-5 went from -21 to +35 and their performance inside the Central Division improved from 12-13-4 to 15-9-5. Laviolette is a Jack Adams Award finalist for the second time, having finished second in voting with Carolina in 2005-06.

Alain Vigneault, New York Rangers

Vigneault guided the Rangers (53-22-7, 113 points) to the Presidents' Trophy as the NHL's top regular-season club, establishing franchise records for wins and points. The Rangers also led the NHL and set club records for road wins (28) and points (58) – only the 2005-06 Red Wings have won more games as visitors in a season. New York was dominant at both ends of the ice, ranking third League-wide in both offense (3.02 goals scored per game) and defense (2.28 goals allowed per game). Vigneault is a Jack Adams Award finalist for the fourth time, tying St. Louis' Ken Hitchcock for the most among active head coaches. He won the trophy in 2006-07 with Vancouver and finished runner-up with Montreal in 1999-2000 and Vancouver in 2010-11.

History

The award was presented by the NHL Broadcasters' Association in 1974 in honor of the late Jack Adams, longtime coach and general manager of the Detroit Red Wings.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=766736

What makes him better?

Well, let's start with his experience and knowledge of the league.

Willy has very little.

He has a way of getting the best out of his team and pushing his players to give all they have.

Willy, take a look at our effort in most of the playoff games. We came out flat as a board.

Agree or disagree. That is on willy.

In game coaching ability. Line matches, player matches. Etc....

Hartley made Willy look like a complete amatuer the whole series.

Need I go on?

I like Willy and I'm happy he is our coach. But don't try to act like he is a great coach.

He got out coached by Hartley hands down.

Well, let's start with his experience and knowledge of the league.

Willy has very little.

He has a way of getting the best out of his team and pushing his players to give all they have.

Willy, take a look at our effort in most of the playoff games. We came out flat as a board.

Agree or disagree. That is on willy.

In game coaching ability. Line matches, player matches. Etc....

Hartley made Willy look like a complete amatuer the whole series.

Need I go on?

Obviously we're talking about the regular season here and what makes Hartley better. Both had teams that didn't make the playoffs, both had teams finish the season above expectations. I don't see much justification for picking one over the other here..

Obviously we're talking about the regular season here and what makes Hartley better. Both had teams that didn't make the playoffs, both had teams finish the season above expectations. I don't see much justification for picking one over the other here..

Not a Hartley fan at all but I think its fair to say the Flames expectations at the start of the season were even lower than the Canucks were.

Archived