The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Every 15 years

Every team should get a chance to play in the Stanley cup final once every 15 years. This is the way the salary cap NHL is designed to work and it works. Most teams at some point will be forced into a rebuild and will fall in the standing and will get quality first round picks for 2-4 years and build around these players like we did with the sedins. eventually these Crosby/Gretzky/Sedin/Getzlaf/Mcdavid/Kane like players will need to be traded for prospects and picks when going into the rebuild mode thus leaving their teams less skilled and tanking to a better draft pick. Some teams like Detroit will get lucky and not participate but I think even their day of not making the playoff is coming soon. If we don't participate then our best hopes will be to continue sliding into the playoffs and getting beats by teams like Calgary and Edmonton whos teams like us have also been both in the Stanley cup finals in the last 8 years but they also have already participated in the rebuild and now are both on their way up to competing in the playoffs not just sliding in.If we would have started a rebuild one season after our 2011 cup appearance maybe it would be the canucks drafting Mcdavid instead of us getting beat by a much younger flames team. A GM in todays NHL must know that a rebuild is a great possibility while he is in charge. Knowing this and knowing that trading away players just past their prime will be something he might have to do. Knowing this, a GM can no longer sign a NO TRADE CLAUSE contract with players anymore not in this salary capped NHL.It handcuffs the GM and takes his ability to move players for the better of the team away from him eg. Lu,kesler,sedins and so on. Not that the are doing well but the Oilers 1st overall draft pick contracts have NO trading clauses in them thus leaving their GM in charge. Even the team that draft Mcdavid will not be sighning him to a trade clause contract the GMs are getting away from that. Its been 5 seasons since our staney cup run and im hoping we get another chance with in the next ten years but the moves our GM make today will determin our future.

2014 LA wins cup/ picks #5 in 2009

2013 CHI #1 in2007

2012 LA #2 in 2008

2011 BOS #5 2006 and #8 in 2007

2010 CHI #3 in 2006

2009PITTS #1 2005

2picked008 DET

2007 ANA #2 in 2007 and #9 in 2004

2006 CAR #4 in 2004 and #1 in 2003

2004 TB #3 in 2001 and #8 in 2000

All the cup winning teams had top 5 picks 2-4 years before winning the cup with only 1 exception. when the canucks picked #2 and #3 in 1999 it was the reason we had future success. I hope we don't fight for 8th place for the next 5 years I would hope we go into full rebuild mode

2013 CHI #1 in2007

2012 LA #2 in 2008

2010 CHI #3 in 2006

2009PITTS #1 2005

2picked008 DET

All the cup winning teams had top 5 picks 2-4 years before winning the cup with only 1 exception. when the canucks picked #2 and #3 in 1999 it was the reason we had future success. I hope we don't fight for 8th place for the next 5 years I would hope we go into full rebuild mode

How about our 6th overall pick?

Like I said only one team just one had success and that didn't have a top 5 pick. those teams that had a top 5 pick went through a rebuild and went on to win a cup. I hope we start trading some of our assets for top picks/prospects before their worthless and we lose them for nothing.

very true so I hope the canucks can focus on getting some top 5 draft picks in the next 2 to 4 seasons and start a successful rebuild. A couple of number 1 picks would be even better to go along with some prospect via trades.

2013 CHI #1 in2007

2012 LA #2 in 2008

2010 CHI #3 in 2006

2009PITTS #1 2005

2picked008 DET

Sorry to say but this team can't even start a rebuild until the Sedins are gone & they will F*** this team for at least 3 years before that day. So we have about 8 years before we contend again. Which will keep our average to every 14-15 years :)

Sorry to say but this team can't even start a rebuild until the Sedins are gone & they will F*** this team for at least 3 years before that day. So we have about 8 years before we contend again. Which will keep our average to every 14-15 years :)

8 + 4 = 14-15 now apperently

Wow. Classy comment. Way to show respect for our best players.

I too wish the sedins were gone. They only provide regular season wins which helps us barely squeak into the playoffs only to get tossed out by teams that finished lower in the regular season standings again. Only if some other team could find use for them and then maybe we could start an actual rebuild. The flames are drafting 8 picks before us btw.

Hey its a business and if we started a rebuild in the summer of 2012 those best players would have been traded already for prospects and picks and we would be climbing up the standings getting ready to take another run at the cup in 2017. we might be picking Mcdavid next month. rebuilding is part of the game now and timing is everything but now we have the sedins for 3 more full seasons at 7 million each and burrows at 5 million for the next 2.

I too wish the sedins were gone. They only provide regular season wins which helps us barely squeak into the playoffs only to get tossed out by teams that finished lower in the regular season standings again. Only if some other team could find use for them and then maybe we could start an actual rebuild. The flames are drafting 8 picks before us btw.

Wow I don't even know where to start. If you hadn't noticed the Sedin's are still top players on the Canucks and in the NHL they are not the reason this team was eliminated first round. I am tired of this Sedin bashing bs.

Knowing this, a GM can no longer sign a NO TRADE CLAUSE contract with players anymore not in this salary capped NHL.It handcuffs the GM and takes his ability to move players for the better of the team away from him eg. Lu,kesler,sedins and so on. Not that the are doing well but the Oilers 1st overall draft pick contracts have NO trading clauses in them thus leaving their GM in charge. Even the team that draft Mcdavid will not be sighning him to a trade clause contract the GMs are getting away from that. Its been 5 seasons since our staney cup run and im hoping we get another chance with in the next ten years but the moves our GM make today will determin our future.

Curious, you talk about GMs being handcuffed with no trade clauses and not being able to move players. But you list 4 players as examples. Luongo, who is gone. Kesler, who is gone, and the Sedins, who aren't (and shouldn't) going anywhere, no trade clause or not.

Since you seem so adamant that you know what an NHL GM should be aware of going in and how they should operate, I'd also like to shed a bit of light on no trade clauses for you.

You note that none of the Oilers #1 picks have no trade clauses. Very true. Because they aren't eligible to receive them yet. To get a no trade clause in your deal, you have to have been in the league a certain length of time. The Oilers top picks haven't hit that mark, and so no, they don't have no trades, because they aren't allowed to.

From the CBA:

11.8 Individually Negotiated Limitations on Player Movement.
(a) The SPC of any Player who is a Group 3 Unrestricted Free Agent under Article
10.1(a) may contain a no-Trade or a no-move clause. SPCs containing a no-Trade or a no-move
clause may be entered into prior to the time that the Player is a Group 3 Unrestricted Free Agent
so long as the SPC containing the no-Trade or no-move clause extends through and does not
become effective until the time that the Player qualifies for Group 3 Unrestricted Free Agency.
If the Player is Traded or claimed on Waivers prior to the no-Trade or no-move clause taking
effect, the clause does not bind the acquiring Club. An acquiring Club may agree to continue to
be bound by the no-Trade or no-move clause, which agreement shall be evidenced in writing to
the Player, Central Registry and the NHLPA, in accordance with Exhibit 3 hereof.

Article 10.1(a)

Any Player who either has seven (7) Accrued Seasons or is 27 years of age or older as of June 30 of the end of a League Year, shall, if his most recent SPC has expired, with such expiry occuring either as of June 30 of such League Year or June 30 of any prior League Year, become an Unrestrited Free Agent. Such Player shall be completely free to negotiate and sign an SPC with any Club, and any Club shall be completely free to negotiate and sign an SPC with such Player, without penalty or restriction, or being subject to any Right of First Refusal, Draft Choice Compensation or any other compensation or equalization obligation of any kind.

So no, Connor McDavid won't be getting a no trade either. But that's not because the GM chose not to, it's because he's not allowed to. GM's are a strange breed. They'll cut off their nose to spite their face if they think it will give them an advantage. Rest assured that if those guys were eligible to get those clauses in their deal, they'd get them if they wanted them.

Stupid Sedins scoring at almost a point per game, seriously, who thought to pay them 7 million??? They only carry the offence on the team.

The Canucks went to the finals in 82-94-2011 so that averages out around every 13-14 years. We have a bit of a wait for the next one, sorry to bring this up but thats just the way it is with this club.

Have to be careful with "averages".

Took the Kings 25 years to reach it the first time, and lost.

Then 18 years after that they win their first, and 2 years later - another.

Kings have played 3 more seasons than the Canucks.

Canucks have missed the playoffs 17 times out of 44 seasons.

The Kings have missed the playoffs 19 times out of 47 seasons.

Both have 3 SCF appearances.

The problem for the Canucks as far as draft picks go, we have only missed the playoffs 3 times the last 15 seasons, whereas the Kings have missed 7.

Archived