The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] A look at depth contracts, UFA (VI), and O'Connor

Ossi Vaananen

For those that don't know, there's a new resource out there for hockey geeks, it's called generalfanager.com. In the Canucks section, it shows our non-roster active contracts at the bottom of the page ( http://www.generalfanager.com/teams/28 ). From the list we can see which are expiring this summer, and which qualify for UFA or UFA (VI).

Now, as I understand it, UFA (VI) is comprised of players 25 or older who have 3+ professional seasons, but have not played more than 80 NHL games or 28 games in the case of a goaltender. What is notable in this distinction is that players that qualify for UFA (VI) may not have the requirements of a regular UFA, that being age 26 or 8 seasons with a team. In this category we have Archibald, DeFazio, Cannata and Eriksson. All of these guys are relevant to Utica's success, and without them Utica would surely be a team full of professional rookies.

In addition to the UFA (VI) expiring contracts, regular UFAs from Utica include - Cal O'Reilly, Bobby Sanguinetti, and Alex Biega. Once again, these guys are crucial to Utica's success and by extension the creation of a winning environment for Canucks prospects.

What was lost on many from the O'Connor thread is the fact that the Canucks could lose both Eriksson and Cannata to free agency. The Canucks also have 3 goaltenders on one-way contracts eligible for waivers in Lack, Miller and Markstrom; so their hand will be forced come the fall as to which 2 make the Canucks roster, and which one will be waived or traded. With this current fiasco, O'Connor could move right to 3rd string goaltender if all things go terribly wrong. This could also be the reason he considers the Canucks among his shortlist.

I digress. Anyway, this has been the comets roster as of late:

Shinkaruk - O'Reilly* - Grenier^

Baertschi^(Canuck bound) - Friesen^ - Conacher^ (rumored to Europe)

Archibald* - Zalewski - DeFazio*

Gaunce - Bancks" - Hamilton"

Jensen, LaBate, Blomstrand

Corrado - Sanguinetti

Huskins" - Clendenning

Erhardt" - Biega*

Pedan(IR), Andersson^ (IR), Hutton, Sautner

Markstrom^

Eriksson*

Cannata*

* - denotes UFA or VI

^ - denotes RFA

" - Comets contract

Contracts coming:

F: Cassels

D: McEneny, Sautner, Hutton, Subban?, Cederholm

As you can see, the Comets roster would be decimated next season without these guys. I think it's safe to say that some guys will re-sign, but the roster as a whole will be less experienced.

This brings up questions not only in regards to the comets but as to depth contracts as a whole. NHL teams can max out at 50 active contracts, with those players eligible for junior sliding for each season they play in junior. For next season, the Canucks currently have 17 signed on to the main roster (10 F, 5 D, 2 G). Depth contracts sit at 13 signed for next season (this excludes junior bound players). So with only 30 contracts, the question then arises which of the 14 RFAs will be kept?

The RFA list includes: Vey, Kenins, McMillan, Weber, Clendenning, Stanton, Markstrom, Zalewski, Baertschi, Grenier, Andersson, Corrado, Conacher, and Friesen. I feel the likely signings would include Vey, Kenins, Baertschi, Corrado, Zalewski and hopefully Weber. This puts the Canucks at 36 contracts, without UFAs.

As per individual player signings, there appears to be room to sign on guys like Subban and O'Connor, guys which were previously argued to not have an opportunity within this organization.

---

This has been for the most part thinking out loud, but I hope I brought attention to the fact that sitting guys in the AHL can still make them UFAs, and earlier. Depth could be an issue next year if some of these guys aren't kept, and if a winning environment is something Benning stresses, then experienced players in the AHL are needed.

Nice OP. Thanks for the information about Fan Manager. This will fill some of the gap left after CapGeek shut down (due to the tragic loss of Matt Wuest, who founded and ran CapGeek).

Also nice analysis of the Comets. It raises a point which I have been thinking about -- the relative role of veterans and prospects in the Comets' success. All good AHL teams need some veteran presence. The veteran presence is limited by the veteran rule. Of the 18 skaters dressed for any game at most 6 can be "veterans". The definition of a veteran is someone who has played 260 regular season professional games or more.

The other players are "developmental players" and this rule insures that the AHL will be primarily a developmental league. The count of games played is taken at the beginning of the season and players do not change status during the season. Developmental players basically get three full minor league season plus some other games here and there as developmental players before they become veterans.

Utica has some very good veterans, in part because the Canucks are willing to pay them much more than AHL players usually get. This is true, for example, of Sanguinetti, who is getting $250 K as his AHL payment on his two-way contract instead of the usually 90K or so that most AHL players get. I think O'Reilly has a similar deal.

Going forward, if the Canucks are willing to pay top dollar for AHL veterans and have a solid pipeline of prospects, the Comets should continue to be successful. But obviously the Utica operation is costing the Canucks some money.

What is encouraging is that this year some prospects have been an important part of the success story, with the most impressive prospects being Baertschi, Clendening, and Corrado. But it is nice to see Grenier and Shinkaruk and Gaunce all doing well also.

I thought I read somewhere Edmonton was no longer in the running for O'Connor.

I heard yesterday on Sportsnet that they were still in the running. My question is: With their current lack of quality goaltenders in the organization, why would they not try and sign him? Did you read that O'Connor does not want to play there?

I heard yesterday on Sportsnet that they were still in the running. My question is: With their current lack of quality goaltenders in the organization, why would they not try and sign him? Did you read that O'Connor does not want to play there?

He apparently wants to go somewhere where he can develop, and said he doesn't want to go anywhere desperate. Edmonton would be my last choice in that case.

He apparently wants to go somewhere where he can develop, and said he doesn't want to go anywhere desperate. Edmonton would be my last choice in that case.

If he wants to go somewhere he can develop, he shouldn't even think about Edmonton. Regardless, it's his choice.

With how many prospects Edmonton has ruined it should be an easy decision for O'Connor to say no to them.

I think it was Gene Principe ^ who lodged the story that Edmonton was in the running.

He is a legit media guy, and I would be surprised if there was not something factual about the claim acquired from some source. But its like asking John Garrett. Who is almost wholly employed to cover the Canucks. Garrett is a Canuck die hard. His information is factual. But clearly bent opportunistically to the Canucks needs. And his market is Canucks fans and what they want to hear. Gene Principe is equally, if not more bent to the Oilers and less so but similarly to Calgary. As he is an Alberta correspondent who works from Edmonton.

Its not unlike how Toronto based media markets routinely believe, Stamkos, Joe Thornton and Mike Babcock are high percentage options for the Leaf's market to fantasize over.

Is the assistant GM in Edmonton told Gene they were still in the running: it may mean nothing more than they have yet to receive a message to go pluck a duck.

I think it was Gene Principe ^ who lodged the story that Edmonton was in the running.

He is a legit media guy, and I would be surprised if there was not something factual about the claim acquired from some source. But its like asking John Garrett. Who is almost wholly employed to cover the Canucks. Garrett is a Canuck die hard. His information is factual. But clearly bent opportunistically to the Canucks needs. And his market is Canucks fans and what they want to hear. Gene Principe is equally, if not more bent to the Oilers and less so but similarly to Calgary. As he is an Alberta correspondent who works from Edmonton.

Its not unlike how Toronto based media markets routinely believe, Stamkos, Joe Thornton and Mike Babcock are high percentage options for the Leaf's market to fantasize over.

Is the assistant GM in Edmonton told Gene they were still in the running: it may mean nothing more than they have yet to receive a message to go pluck a duck.

I agree that media in any given city is biased towards that city's sports teams. That said, a great deal of change is happening in Edmonton and it is starting with upper management. It seems as though they are finally understanding that the Ex-Oilers were better players than managers. Combine this with the jackpot draft lottery win which will end up in them drafting McDavid and you can see a bright future in Edmonton.

Any truth to the rumors that Babcock ends up in Edmonton?

Archived