The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Get Your first look inside the nearly complete Quebec City arena

East-West is already unbalanced. To this day I still think the re-structuring of the divisions literally could have been as easy as 1-2-3.

First of all, only one of Detroit and Columbus should have been moved east.

Personally, this is what I would have done:

Scrap the wild card BS, stick with the old divisions.

Winnipeg would have been moved from the SE division to the NW division.

Nashville would be moved from C division to the SE division. (Winn goes west, Nash goes east, conf. are balanced)

Colorado is moved from the NW division to the C division.

Less travel for all 3 teams. I thought of this before the Jets' first season even began.

I'll say it now and I'll say it a million times over, the NHL and especially Bettman over-think and over-complicate everything they do.

But no now we can't expand into the east without either;

a. Relocating a team already in east (*cough* florida *cough*) or

b. Rearrange the divisions/conferences yet again.

What a joke the restructuring was. I hate it.

I think the plan all along with the uneven divisions was to expand in the west, the league is over heavy in the east and I don't see a problem with expanding in the west.

^

I proposed something back then that made more sense, but only a few people agreed...

If they had gone with my way, it would have looked something like this:

WEST

Pacific Division:

Anaheim

Arizona

Los Angeles

San Jose

Vancouver

Midwest Division:

Calgary

Colorado

Edmonton

Minnesota

Winnipeg

Central Division:

Chicago

Columbus

Detroit

Pittsburgh

St. Louis

EAST

Atlantic Division:

Boston

Buffalo

Montreal

Ottawa

Toronto

Metropolitan Division:

New Jersey

New York (I)

New York ®

Philadelphia

Washington

Gulf Division:

Carolina

Dallas

Florida

Nashville

Tampa Bay

It's geographically based, and you have to admit, a Gulf Division would have been pretty cool.

With this proposal, Vancouver is now in the (arguably) toughest division.

I think the plan all along with the uneven divisions was to expand in the west, the league is over heavy in the east and I don't see a problem with expanding in the west.

True, but this thread is about expanding into the east.

No way it's too small of a city. Most of us would like to see a major city like Houston or KC get a team before a tiny town like Quebec City gets one.

What? Pretty sure 99% of us here would rather have Quebec get a team. No one in the South cares about hockey. The Stars were doing great in the first half of the year and their arena was empty.

Quebec City will be waiting a long time for an NHL team with Bettman in control.

Kansas City, Seattle, Las Vegas, Houston, Milwaukee, Hartford, all potential cities a team could be relocated.

Greater Toronto is probably getting a team before Quebec City does.

Building a NHL facility means squat these days, Kansas City's Sprint Centre still has no tenant and it was built specifically for hockey, as was Sask Place in Saskatoon.

If you build it they will come does not apply to NHL hockey apparently.

Rink looks great! However, I believe the safe route will be for Quebec City to get an AHL club there first then see if the NHL will come. My gut says Quebec City will get a team but only via expansion. Could potentially come in at the same time as Seattle or Las Vegas?

About the successful franchise part, that was one of my many arguments used to show why the southern markets deserve a team before a guaranteed failure comes to Quebec City. And don't feed me the BS about the league being against Canadian or northern teams as the commissioner of the entire league not only gave a team to tiny town Winnipeg he also attended and enjoyed their first ever playoff game this year. He sure hates Canada!

And PS just because my last name happens to be Bettman has nothing to do with the league and their remarkably excellent expansion decisions over the past 25 years and certainly doesn't mean you can call me Jr.

1.Bettman attending the Winnipeg game is utterly meangingless. He may or may not hate Canada. Him attending the game shouldn't define anything.

2. Did he have a choice? To be fair, i think it was voted on.

Rink looks great! However, I believe the safe route will be for Quebec City to get an AHL club there first then see if the NHL will come. My gut says Quebec City will get a team but only via expansion. Could potentially come in at the same time as Seattle or Las Vegas?

AHL won't work in Quebec city. Trust me. We had the Montreal Canadians affiliate from 1999 to 2002. Just 4 years after the Nordiques left, we were supposed to cheer for the Habs, our former archenemy? Talk about a slap in the face!! It would be like putting the Flames affiliate in Vancouver. How would you feel?

Anyway, we already have the Remparts which is the most popular junior team in the entire country. It's NHL or nothing. I think we have nothing to prove. Everyone already know the building will be full night after night which is not a given for Las Vegas or Seattle.

Meanwhile, Seattle continues to drag its' feet. Why the league even bothers with it at this point is beyond me. No arena hang ups in Portland if the NHL really wants to add another club to the Western Conference.

seattle seems to be speeding up, espescially with this new Tukwilla arena proposal (which would honestly be the better option). It's looking like a near guarantee that Seattle will have a team by 2017-18 season

seattle seems to be speeding up, espescially with this new Tukwilla arena proposal (which would honestly be the better option). It's looking like a near guarantee that Seattle will have a team by 2017-18 season

Remember, the Tukwilla proposal is just that at this stage. Sure, its "proposed" to be entirely privately funded, but, has the land already been acquired? Have they submitted an EIS? These questions don't need to be asked regarding the SOG proposal. I'd love to see the Tukwilla group --- or any of the other group lurking --- join SOG and take the public money out of the SoDo proposal. It'd be the best and possibly only way to tame the Seattle City Council and get an arena built sooner than later. I can't see the Expansion Committe from either league not being impressed with that. Just as The Rog and BC Place are located in Vancouver rather than Kelowna, I cant see either the NBA nor NHL as excited about a proposed arena in the suburbs as they are about one in a stadium district in SoDo.

Archived