The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Speculation) Shero may shop #6 pick for scoring help

Shero must add boost Devils scoring.

NORTHJERSEY.COM: Tom Gulitti lists upgrading scoring via trades or free agency will be among the priorities this summer for Ray Shero, the New Jersey Devils new general manager.

SPECTORS NOTE: That was a priority his predecessor, Lou Lamoriello, also acknowledged. Sheros already said boosting the Devils offense was a key issue. Im curious if hell consider shopping the Devils first-round pick this summer. Lamoriello hinted he was willing to do that prior to stepping down as GM.

Got this from Spectors yesterday

What what we offer....i mean SERIOUSLY offer?

Vrbata

Shinkaruk

Our 1st #23

Add Hamhuis if they add Gelinas?

Last thing the devils should do is trade this pick. They need a rebuild.

But if they are willing to trade it I wonder if Vrbata+Higgins would be something they are interested in?

One could hope they'd be that stupid :lol:

If Trader Jim is serious about moving Vrbata, I hope we could Radim some value through trades like this.

As mentioned though, I don't think moving Shinkaruk would be the wisest move on our part... maybe Vrbata + one of Linden Vey OR Nicklas Jensen? Could also add a 2nd that we could get by moving a vet. Either way, they'd get a star and a good, young forward with scoring potential (24 points isn't bad for a rookie, in Linden's case).

Don't want to lose TOO much of the future prospects that the team has finally begun to stockpile (Bo, Jared, Hunter, Jake), and Vrbata can still bring the Devils a nice return should they decide to sell him at the deadline (he'll become UFA after next year). Vey or arguably Jensen would be able to fill top-9, if not top-6 roles with them (they'd beat Bernier and Tootoo for Top-6 right-wing roles easily).

Some of you guys are completely out to lunch.

If Devils do move this pick, it won't be for a return centered on a 34 year-old with one year left until UFA status.

We actually may be good trading partners with NJ though - but not for the pick. Rumour is they may trade one of their excellent young D-men (Larsson, Severson, Gelinas, Merrill) for scoring help. The first two are probably pretty expensive (and righties, so less of a need for us), but maybe there is a deal to be made for Gelinas or Merrill (both LDs), with 1/2 of our young forwards not named Horvat/Virtanen/McCann (i.e. Vey, Shinkaruk, Jensen, Cassels, etc.) going the other way.

This pick is exactly what they need right now, I just don't see them giving it up for anything

I could see them moving it to fast track their rebuild and get a few solid 20-somethings right now.

But I doubt we'll give up what they want.

If Devils do move this pick, it won't be for a return centered on a 34 year-old with one year left until UFA status.

We actually may be good trading partners with NJ though - but not for the pick. Rumour is they may trade one of their excellent young D-men (Larsson, Severson, Gelinas, Merrill) for scoring help. The first two are probably pretty expensive (and righties, so less of a need for us), but maybe there is a deal to be made for Gelinas or Merrill (both LDs), with 1/2 of our young forwards not named Horvat/Virtanen/McCann (i.e. Vey, Shinkaruk, Jensen, Cassels, etc.) going the other way.

I'd be more than willing to listen around what they'd want for Larsson (although the chance to get him was last year if at all).

We do need RD, not LD IMO

Archived