The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Speculation) Shero may shop #6 pick for scoring help

Why do many people want to trade Shinkaruk? He has finally returned to form after being injured, and is having a terrific playoff.

Because some people are infatuated with magic beans, a.k.a. lotto tickets.

As mentioned though, I don't think moving Shinkaruk would be the wisest move on our part...

How would it look to trade a bunch of assets including Shinkaruk for a pick, then have Shinkaruk alone turn out better than that pick? Yeah, not too good.

We actually may be good trading partners with NJ though - but not for the pick. Rumour is they may trade one of their excellent young D-men (Larsson, Severson, Gelinas, Merrill) for scoring help. The first two are probably pretty expensive (and righties, so less of a need for us), but maybe there is a deal to be made for Gelinas or Merrill (both LDs), with 1/2 of our young forwards not named Horvat/Virtanen/McCann (i.e. Vey, Shinkaruk, Jensen, Cassels, etc.) going the other way.

Yup, much more likely.

2015 1st, 2016 1st, Bo Horvat, Jake Virtanen

for

2015 6th overall

Better?

I surely hope that was sarcasm.

Same way we did this season. Buy a free agent.

A free Agent like Green would go along way...

There's also the contributions from Baer, continued improvement from Horvat, Kassian etc. Those guys almost certainly will be on the team and would likely pot 30+ additional goals between them.

Same way we did this season. Buy a free agent.

I guess I'm looking for specifics...who? There's not really a lot of upcoming UFA's who are pure goal scorers like Vrbata...St. Louis ok, but he's turning 40.

I'd be shocked if Vrbata gets moved before next trade deadline, I just really don't see it happening. Of course, that's the same thing I said about losing to the Bruins in '11, so...

A free Agent like Green would go along way...

There's also the contributions from Baer, continued improvement from Horvat, Kassian etc. Those guys almost certainly will be on the team and would likely pot 30+ additional goals between them.

Green is expensive though, a lot more than Vrbata's cap hit...though his right hand shot on the D would be nice.

I guess I'm looking for specifics...who? There's not really a lot of upcoming UFA's who are pure goal scorers like Vrbata...St. Louis ok, but he's turning 40.

I'd be shocked if Vrbata gets moved before next trade deadline, I just really don't see it happening. Of course, that's the same thing I said about losing to the Bruins in '11, so...

Possibly Michael Frolik? Maybe Justin Williams? Sure, neither of those guys would score 30 like Vrbs did, but with the addition of some youth like Baertchi, other young guys like Horvat and Vey continuing to improve, and a puck moving Dman like Green, Franson or Ehrhoff on the blueline they should be able to make up the difference by committee.

ya im not sure if shinkaruk or virtanen can score 15 goals each thats like a goal ever four games not sure rookies could do that o ya what did teemu score his rookie yr o ya 76

Well, a better example would be Horvat scoring 13 in 68 games, but I digress...

Green is expensive though, a lot more than Vrbata's cap hit...though his right hand shot on the D would be nice.

You get what you pay for ;) Green fills a desperately vacant hole in our lineup. Green will likely be ~$1.5m more...that's really not "a lot more".

Besides, as I said, Baer, Horvat and Kassian can/likely will more than make up that 30 with or without Green.

That said, I still say we move Vrbata at the deadline. This NJ pick is a pipe dream.

ya im not sure if shinkaruk or virtanen can score 15 goals each thats like a goal ever four games not sure rookies could do that o ya what did teemu score his rookie yr o ya 76

Bahahahaha, oh wow, comparing Shink & Virtanen to Teemu Selanne is even funnier! Man, you've got me in stitches today! You should go on tour with that act.

So I see Vrbata, Higgins, and Bieksa is the new Mason Raymond, Keith Ballard, Hansen.

Stop making these awful proposals. When is the last time you have seen a team in the nhl trade 3-4 aging guys in one deal for a top pick or prospect in the cap era? Never ever will it happen.

To NJ: Eddie Lacks jock + Gregors house + Surrey

To Van: 6th overall pick + Lou Lamoriello's cranium

lol... its possible to draft Marner or Crouse at #6 who are probably NHL ready in 1-2 years based on Forsberg/Monahan/Lindholm's performance.

The game is getting younger and younger, prospects are making a huge impact.

lol... its possible to draft Marner or Crouse at #6 who are probably NHL ready in 1-2 years based on Forsberg/Monahan/Lindholm's performance.

The game is getting younger and younger, prospects are making a huge impact.

Marner ready in 1-2 years? At his size, you're dreaming.

Thank you.

And Larsson is a much more attractive option for some of the crap people are throwing out there. But sadly Hamhuis/Bieksa and Hansen are NOT going to get you a damned thing from NJ and Shero...they want offense. This forum sometimes.

Yeah. According to what I've heard, Severson is the guy they want to keep most. So if Larsson is conceivably available, I'd gladly take him off of their hands. IMO, he's exactly what is needed (top-4 now, top-2 potential later).

Perhaps a package centered on Shinkaruk and either Glendening, Corrado, or Weber's rights would be enough. Probably not, though.

Why do many people want to trade Shinkaruk? He has finally returned to form after being injured, and is having a terrific playoff.

Because you're not going to get a 6th overall pick by trading scrubs. With all the respect to Shinkaruk, if we can grab the 6th overall pick in the best draft in over a decade (judging by top-prospects) and grab one of the top-ranked defencemen (Provorov,Werenski), a center with 1st line potential like Barzal, or possibly even a guy like Mitch Marner (basically a better version of Shinkaruk), then i would sure as h*ll go for it.

Archived