The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(NHL/NBA) Sodo Arena in Seattle environmental review is complete

GMJB

The FEIS set a new target date of 2018 to open the arena.

Seattle Mayor Ed Murray said the report was a victory for the project.

"The SODO arena project has just passed another major milestone. The City has met its commitment to complete the EIS process. No major findings stand in the way of arena construction. The City will continue to work with arena developers, the Stadium District and SODO interests on the impacts that were identified during the EIS process. The City can now begin looking ahead to the street vacation and other pieces necessary to move this project forward. We're one step closer to bringing NHL hockey and NBA basketball to Seattle."

notice the shift of vernacular where he said NHL before NBA? that never would have happened at the start of the project. but that new proposal for that tukwilla arena (which is a MUCH better option and timeline) clearly has the seattle mayor reeling.

LMAO, the impact study was to see the impact of removing a small portion of a street to fit the arena and these were the findings: "less than 10 trucks a day use the road and that the impact would be negligible.". 2.5 years and thousands of dollars later, it turns out the study was a giant waste of time/money. Frack the seattle stadium, Tukwilla is the better option. I'm throwing my hat in the tukwilla ring.

notice the shift of vernacular where he said NHL before NBA? that never would have happened at the start of the project. but that new proposal for that tukwilla arena (which is a MUCH better option and timeline) clearly has the seattle mayor reeling.

LMAO, the impact study was to see the impact of removing a small portion of a street to fit the arena and these were the findings: "less than 10 trucks a day use the road and that the impact would be negligible.". 2.5 years and thousands of dollars later, it turns out the study was a giant waste of time/money. Frack the seattle stadium, Tukwilla is the better option. I'm throwing my hat in the tukwilla ring.

You make excellent points. Now it sounds like next step is financing and it sounds like Tukwila is further along in that area

Florida, Carolina, NJ, or Arizona. If it's ARZ, CBJ should move back to the West.

Most likely Florida or Arizona, as you said.

Quebec should be a relocation. I'm all for a 32 team league, but no more after that.

I can't imagine a league with more than 32 teams, but then again, that's probably what fans during the Original Six era thought.

A 50 team league vould be vunderbar. Keep growing to Mexico City.

The teams?

Anaheim, Arizona,

Atlanta, Baltimore, Boston, Buffalo, Calgary, Carolina, Chicago, Colorado, Columbus, Dallas, Detroit, Edmonton, Florida, Hamilton, Halifax, Houston, Indianapolis, KC, LA, Las Vegas, Madison, Mexico City, Minnesota, Mississauga, Montreal, Nashville, NJ, NYI, NYR, Ottawa, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Portland, Quebec City, San Antonio, San Diego, San Jose, Seattle, Saskatoon, St. John's, St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Toronto, Vancouver, Victoria, Washington, Winnipeg, Yellowknife.

Here's how the divisions would fall out:

Anaheim

Arizona

Indianapolis

Kansas City

Los Angeles

Las Vegas

Mexico City

San Antonio

San Diego

San Jose

St. Louis

Calgary

Chicago

Colorado

Edmonton

Madison

Minnesota

Portland

Saskatoon

Vancouver

Victoria

Winnipeg

Yellowknife

Atlanta

Baltimore

Boston

Buffalo

Carolina

Columbus

Dallas

Detroit

Florida

Hamilton

Halifax

Houston

Mississauga

Montreal

Nashville

NJ

NYI

NYR

Ottawa

Philadelphia

Pittsburgh

Quebec City

Tampa Bay

Toronto

Washington

A 50 team league would be absolute gong show, a single season would be year-round, and it would an economic $&!#storm.

A 50 team league would be absolute gong show, a single season would be year-round, and it would an economic crapstorm.

You play one team, twice for divisions, that's 64 games. Take in the extended playoffs with 24 teams instead of 16, and it could work.

...Must every statement be interpreted seriously?

Yes. Yes it must.

I live close to downtown, and an arena in SODO would be much better. Easy access, either walk or hop on the train. Tukwila is out of Seattle, but more efficient to get to for everyone else, but overall, totally awesome if Seattle got an NHL team.

I live close to downtown, and an arena in SODO would be much better. Easy access, either walk or hop on the train. Tukwila is out of Seattle, but more efficient to get to for everyone else, but overall, totally awesome if Seattle got an NHL team.

the proposed tukwila stadium is literally directly beside a train station and the exit to 405, which is a 1 min drive to I-5 and 167. it would be WAY easier to get to/from the games for everyone in the region that isn't in the downtown core. it's also directly beside 3 hotels and a 5 min drive from the seatac airport, so it's way more convenient for teams flying in/out as well. plus it's 100% privately funded. i feel that it's the more likely option at this point, but i just want a team anywhere in seattle at this point.

Are you out of your mind? 50? I could see 45, 48 tops but I'd really like to hear how 50 could make any sense. :picard:

the proposed tukwila stadium is literally directly beside a train station and the exit to 405, which is a 1 min drive to I-5 and 167. it would be WAY easier to get to/from the games for everyone in the region that isn't in the downtown core. it's also directly beside 3 hotels and a 5 min drive from the seatac airport, so it's way more convenient for teams flying in/out as well. plus it's 100% privately funded. i feel that it's the more likely option at this point, but i just want a team anywhere in seattle at this point.

I think sodo is farther ahead and the privately funded arena is not such a big deal when the city of Seattle is fighting for the arena and has competition. Look to see Seattle push this along as fast as they can and have the NHL pick sodo because a downtown location is preferable to the NHL brass.

The fact that we have competition now is great and is forcing dimwit Hanson to go with the NHL first or walk away, something he would have been unwilling to do if he had an option I feel.

I think sodo is farther ahead and the privately funded arena is not such a big deal when the city of Seattle is fighting for the arena and has competition. Look to see Seattle push this along as fast as they can and have the NHL pick sodo because a downtown location is preferable to the NHL brass.

The fact that we have competition now is great and is forcing dimwit Hanson to go with the NHL first or walk away, something he would have been unwilling to do if he had an option I feel.

seattle arena has a lot of red tape to get through still, including a revised plan that has nhl first in it, and they need to find a prospective NHL owner willing to bring a team there. whereas the tukwila building has an owner who wants an nhl team and has been in constant contact with the league since failing to acquire phoenix, a clear plan in place, uses no public funds, and is in a city who is known to fast track projects like this because there is no in-fighting on their city council. tukwila seems like the most likely destination for the nhl right now, and it's still considered a seattle suburb.

either one is perfectly fine with me, to be honest, but i feel like the tukwila arena would be a better choice and is probably more likely at this point. but i guess it all depends on what the NHL wants. whether they want the team to be physically in seattle, or are they fine with the better location just outside of seattle.

Tukwila Totems....?

Archived