The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who will AV go after from Canucks?

grandmaster

Generally, a team that wins the President's Trophy and gets bumped in round 2 has been out-coached, not out-played. Those players should have been good enough to secure a Finals appearance - at the very least. I'd be surprised if AV had any say in the matter. If anything I'd blame him for the exit.

It's my understanding that Sather is a pretty old school GM, I think the best AV can do is ask for more help. I find it highly unlikely that he will make specific player recommendations. Beside why would AV want players from a team that let him go, and he couldn't get any more production from? If anything you'd think he'd want younger players.

I wasn't saying that had zero input, just not as much as some people seem to think. I don't think a coach goes to the GM and says I need player X from team Z which is what the OP is implying.

A coach is ultimatel responsible for the play of the team. He is the one who says a player plays or does not play. It is his neck on the line and he is the one who gets fired first if things go south. Having said that, you bet a coach has a lot of input into the players that are marked for his team. A GM idefinitely consults with his coach about trades and changes on his team and what is needed.

It is all about Linden, Benning and Desjardins working in close harmony with each other.. If it is not done that way, it is nothing but a recipe for disaster. No coach would sign with a team that was managed by the GM alone

So if they lose why would he want anyone from this team?

Change of scenery. Players play better or worse depending on their roles in the team, system, coaching style, fans, city, etc.

Same goes for Canuck players going elsewhere

What? Why would he ask for another Canuck considering we did no better than them? Lol.

Off season, need to yammer about something.

Next thread: Was tanner Glass happy as a Canuck?

AV looks like he's in the same predicament in NY as he was here. He's a great coach no doubt but he eventually looses the room.

In Vancouver, he got the best out of the team for 4-5 years before the collapse near the end where we were good but just couldn't get it done. If I remember correctly, we were a top team but come playoffs, we couldn't score anymore and registering shots was difficult - this was the last 2 years where things were coming to an end. Look at NY now, seem thing is happening. Great coach, regular season players are performing great but likewise, the Rangers are finding it hard to score and get shots on net. I'm sure that's not a coincidence. Now I know he took them to the finals last year but may have lucked out now. Players have gotten comfortable with him and seems the Rangers players are fragile mentally like ours were the last 2 years. It starts with the coach and players catch on.

Whether or not this is true or complete bs speculation on my part, just what I'm seeing lol.

Archived