The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ownership and Fans Disconnect.

badassian9

Couple things I have to reply to

1. Anaheim isn't a power house. League has helped them get most of their points. They're a pathetic team that would barely make the playoffs had they got canucks quality officiating.

2. Aquaman spends to the cap. This is what matters. Thanks aquaman.

You are delusional

Anaheim is a great team and the Canucks need more heart. Officials are inconsistent everywhere. Time to stop making excuses

Stacked teams like St. Louis were eliminated early. Very good teams like WPG and NSH did as well. Heck even LA and SJ didn't make the playoffs. NYR will probably go out early as well.

This logic that you have to tear it down to build it up is dumb. Canucks have a deep enough pool moving forward. Draft smart no matter where you pick and you can ice a competitive team.

I think I'll give JB/TL/WD a few years to show us what they can do rather than get all cranky after 1 year.

We had 3 rookies on the team this year. Next year we'll have Baertschi and Clendenning. Youth movement is happening it's just not happening overnight. We're just not going all hell for a basement.. even if there is a heaven in Alberta.

Good reference, now i want to pull out my Big Sugar CDs...

I'm guessing this thread was inspired by The Province article whose survey said the majority wanted a full blown rebuild with youth. What stood out most to me in that article was over 60% of respondents didn't attend any games. That's despite entertaining hockey and winning this season. It's definitely easy to tell the owner to lose money when it's not your money and you're not even spending a cent supporting the team. I'd rather see a season ticket holder survey on the subject after renewal for next season is done. Then at least it's people putting money into the team voicing the opinion Instead of a couple of thousand with the majority not spending a cent. History has shown when this team tanks VanFans disappear. That's not just playoff revenue lost, it's an entire season of lost revenue.

New faces made up a third of the team this season including three rookies (Horvat, Vey & Kenins) taking spots. So why are people whining about "the same old faces"? There will be more new faces on the team next year as well with several prospects being waiver eligible.

I'm guessing this thread was inspired by The Province article whose survey said the majority wanted a full blown rebuild with youth. What stood out most to me in that article was over 60% of respondents didn't attend any games. That's despite entertaining hockey and winning this season. It's definitely easy to tell the owner to lose money when it's not your money and you're not even spending a cent supporting the team. I'd rather see a season ticket holder survey on the subject after renewal for next season is done. Then at least it's people putting money into the team voicing the opinion Instead of a couple of thousand with the majority not spending a cent. History has shown when this team tanks VanFans disappear. That's not just playoff revenue lost, it's an entire season of lost revenue.

New faces made up a third of the team this season including three rookies (Horvat, Vey & Kenins) taking spots. So why are people whining about "the same old faces"? There will be more new faces on the team next year as well with several prospects being waiver eligible.

Entertaining hockey? This season was so boring I cancelled my season tickets. It was far from entertaining it was pathetic.

It has become quite evident that the Canucks fans and especially ownership are on different paths when it comes to thinking what is best for the Canucks.

The majority of the fan base seems quite accepting of a heavy youth movement, a few non playoff years and some short term pain in order to grow and hope for the future.

Meanwhile ownership and management seems hell bent on making an ill advised playoff push each year just to cash in on the home game ravenue. I get it, money rules all but it is such a short sighted approach. It's quite evident that being able to draft well in today's NHL is the most prudent way to build a successful franchise (Sorry Edmonton...wait where is McDavid going?) getting eliminated in the first or second round and picking in the 18-23 range each year is going to make that success harder to achieve.

When your playoff games are barely selling out, even after you reduced the prices it speaks volumes to the faith the fans have in your product and what direction they truly want. In a division that has a powerhouse like Anaheim (Yes, we all still hate Kes), a consistent cup contender like LA and 3 teams filled with incredible youthful talent in Edm, Cal and Phx on the rise, its only going to get harder, so why keep this irrational dream alive?

Let the young players learn from the Sedins while they still can.

I hope the youth movement starts soon and the ownership can see the bigger picture.

I doubt you speak for the majority of Canucks fans. I support what Jim Benning and Trevor are doing. Throwing youth onto the team without the experience and leadership of our vets is a recipe for disaster (a la Edmonton). We are in transition but I support the current path. Nobody said the transition would be easy.

There is no such thing as "the fans" or even "the majority of fans" - at least, not that can be spoken for by the OP.

There are a lot of different perspectives - thousands and thousands of fans with differing opinions - and moreover, the OP has generally oversimplified management's perspective regardless.

It's an ongoing debate, but it's not as simple as 'the fans want to tank and rebuild' while management wants to cash in on playoff revenue. It's an ongoing balancing act - an ongoing process, and an ongoing competition between youth and veterans to command roster spots.

Well said oldnews. Same for hlinkaswrister who said: "It's pretty easy to call for a tank when your only financial commitment to the team is the occasional jersey or hat purchase."

I don't know about you guys but I'm really excited to see players like Chris Higgins flourish in our top 6 providing big goals and Bieksa anchoring our D cause he's a mean, loyal SOB. Next year is our year!!

I'm fully on board with the plan.

I would prefer if the team continues to be competitive while infusing youth into the lineup. The change won't happen overnight, but it is better than building a team that is comfortable with losing.

Just like the San Jose sharks!

Yay!

Entertaining hockey? This season was so boring I cancelled my season tickets. It was far from entertaining it was pathetic.

yes, i can't recall a season like last. the winning season was merely a footnote to the decline of the 2011 runnerup team. most intelligible fans would have sensed this. our instincts would have implied to us that this team is going nowhere post season. trouble is, it looks like more of the same coming up. another limpy drive to squeak into the playoffs just to be ousted soundly by a better team. the claim can be made, it doesnt matter where you pick but how well you pick but that is just pure bullcrap. the quality of picks available wanes as the lower picks are made. it's a matter of pure physics. and it is too bad management cannot recognize the willingness of the fan base to rebuild. it should be the natural order of things.. change? please . . . and new uni's too!

Archived