The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ownership and Fans Disconnect.

badassian9

The disconnect is the Fans want a championship and the Owner wants to earn a profit every year. Its that simple

If that was really the case, I don't believe Linden would have signed up. He would have waited for an owner that wanted to win it all, which is what I believe we have.

It has become quite evident that the Canucks fans and especially ownership are on different paths when it comes to thinking what is best for the Canucks.

The majority of the fan base seems quite accepting of a heavy youth movement, a few non playoff years and some short term pain in order to grow and hope for the future.

Meanwhile ownership and management seems hell bent on making an ill advised playoff push each year just to cash in on the home game ravenue. I get it, money rules all but it is such a short sighted approach. It's quite evident that being able to draft well in today's NHL is the most prudent way to build a successful franchise (Sorry Edmonton...wait where is McDavid going?) getting eliminated in the first or second round and picking in the 18-23 range each year is going to make that success harder to achieve.

When your playoff games are barely selling out, even after you reduced the prices it speaks volumes to the faith the fans have in your product and what direction they truly want. In a division that has a powerhouse like Anaheim (Yes, we all still hate Kes), a consistent cup contender like LA and 3 teams filled with incredible youthful talent in Edm, Cal and Phx on the rise, its only going to get harder, so why keep this irrational dream alive?

Let the young players learn from the Sedins while they still can.

I hope the youth movement starts soon and the ownership can see the bigger picture.

LOL. That's because for the owners, it's their money. It's easy for the fans to say,

"You stupid greedy owner! Can't you see? We have to suck so bad that we pick first overall and win Stanley cup for the next 20 years!!! Why you care so much about money?"

To that the owner might say,

"OK. You give me all your money, your parent's money, and your grandparent's money including all of their real estate and etc. Then, I will gladly trade everyone over 23, which would ensure sucking."

I bet the OP wont' give a dime to the owner.

If that was really the case, I don't believe Linden would have signed up. He would have waited for an owner that wanted to win it all, which is what I believe we have.

Maybe but we'll find out soon enough. The Oilers are going to be flat out dominant in 2-3 years forcing the Canucks to be in a position to draft a franchise generational talent type of player to compete. Their core will be...

McDavid

Hall

Nuge

Eberle

Nurse

Yak

Draisatl

Schultz

And if they ever get a goalie they will be impossible to beat in the playoffs

It pains me whenever people point to Edmonton as why you shouldn't rebuild.

reason 1. The most dominant teams that have won the cups recently (Chicago, LA) have gone thru full rebuilds to get there.

reason 2. Edmonton just got Mcdavid. so don't write off their rebuild. The biggest problem with their rebuild was incompetent management. With chiarelli in, things should improve.

reason 3. Has anyone who uses the Edmonton example ever been to Edmonton?? I mean seriously.... Im from BC, and I can tell you BC is superior to Alberta. But currently living in alberta, I can tell you that even Calgary beats the hell out of Edmonton.. Edmonton is just a miserable place.. a cold depressing place, where unlike calgarys occasional Chinook it stays cold thoughout the winter. It's downtown is dead, a craphole and a good place to get assaulted/mugged. did I mention its depressing?? Its literally just blue collar jobs, The oilers, and the west Edmonton mall. There is a reason why Edmonton always makes the list of players' no trade lists...

Extremely difficult to build a team in such an environment when nobody wants to come there, and you have to grossly overpay AHL calibre garbage like nikitin 2 year 10 million dollar deals to sign. extremely difficult to build a team in such a environment.

Vancouver is an extremely beautiful/desirable city. vastly superior to anything in alberta and on a different universe then Edmonton.

Winnipeg will face this same problem as soon as the whole new team scent goes away. Winnipeg is a like a smaller, crappier version of Edmonton.

Maybe it's better to have a competitive and winning culture so your prospect, regardless of draft position, can learn from the veterans with a ton of character (such as the Sedins)?

Look at the current Ducks roster. A dangerous team their core is made up of Perry (28th overall), Kesler (23rd overall), Getzlaf (19 overall), Folwer (12 overall), among others. They didn't need to tank to get this competitive.

Bruins 2011 Cup Team. Horton and Seguin were 2nd and 3rd respectively but even without them the team was still competative with Chara, Thomas, Rask, Marchand, Krejci, Recchi, Lucic, Seidenberg, Ference, and Bergeron from that group the only 1st round pick was Rask and he was the back up in their 2011 run.

Red Wings 2008 - Osgood and Hasek were late draft picks. And the rest only Brad Stuart and Dan Cleary were 1st rounders. Granted Stuart was 3rd overall but he wasn't exactly the best D-Man of that group. And the team wasn't exactly youthful.

From those three the common thread is that the team has always been competitive and has a chance to make it to the playoffs developing their prospects and other players down the line.

Entertaining hockey? This season was so boring I cancelled my season tickets. It was far from entertaining it was pathetic.

To each their own I guess..I enjoyed the reg season..good bounce back for a lot of players and the emergence of new ones....Torts hockey was unwatchable IMO..

Maybe but we'll find out soon enough. The Oilers are going to be flat out dominant in 2-3 years forcing the Canucks to be in a position to draft a franchise generational talent type of player to compete. Their core will be...

McDavid

Hall

Nuge

Eberle

Nurse

Yak

Draisatl

Schultz

And if they ever get a goalie they will be impossible to beat in the playoffs

That wont be their core. This is the salary cap era. 25% of those guys wont be there in in their prime

Are you serious? of course you have to build your franchise with good prospects. But haven't you watched anything the management have done this year?

We've been getting younger. Getting players like Clendenning, Pedan and Bearcheese are all a part of getting younger(I know we traded picks and Forsling), and I bet this will continue, some players for example Higgins could be traded this off season for a pick. And same could be said about many other players.

fact remains, we got younger and made the playoffs. If we can continue on this path we might reach the ultimate goal some day. But "intentially" loosing is not the way to go.

Tanking is not the answer. I'm with Benning's plan to not add youth until they are ready. I think the fans want to see some more of the vets moved that have being with the team a while. They have had their chance at the playoffs. Trade vets for picks or trade for other vets that bring something different to the team. Sign another Vrbata in free agency...etc. Try to add skill (high picks that have been in unsuccessful situations or have fallen out of favor! Like Turris, Niedderieder, Baertchi, Seguin. The Oilers are likely going to move one of their high picks for defensive help. If you can't draft high pick, attempt to acquire them!

Gagner, Plante, Nash, Eberle, Paajarvi, Hall, Nuge, Klefbom, Yakupov = all 1st round picks during 8 years of no playoffs.

It's not about getting low picks, it's about making the right picks.

Plus, it's easy for "majority" of fans to say they'd be fine with a few years of sucking when it's the summer time and the off season, but after a couple no playoffs seasons this fan base would begin to revolt.

Its about making the right picks and developing them properly. Vancouver is taking the right approach to developing talent. They aren't rushing kids into the league, they are giving them time to mature and get stronger.

How many of the kids that Edmonton has drafted have suffered some pretty bad injuries in their first year?

Personal opinion, kids should be required to pass a certain strength test before being allowed to play in the NHL before they turn 20. There aren't many of them that are physically mature enough to handle seasoned veterans hammering on them.

Horvat has been an exception, but he is also an incredibly strong player. Even with that, Vancouver didn't just throw him into top 6 service as Edmonton would have done. They gave him 4th line minutes and let him learn and adjust and gain confidence from his success. The end result, by the end of the season, he was arguably our 2nd best center behind Henrik. Another off season of training and working on his first couple of step speed (was really impressed by how his higher end cruising speed has developed), he could really be our #2 center, starting to fill in for what we lost when we traded Kesler.

I don't believe the method of going all youth works. They need established players to mentor them and help them build success.

Archived