The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Just a question, not a suggestion (Discussion)

In NHL 15, I traded them to Tampa for NYR's 2015 1st, Jon Drouin, and Brayden Point. I'd rather do that (if possible) than the one you mentioned. They're top 20 players, they could at least get a 1st and a really good player, or two 1sts (depending on the team)

In NHL 15, I traded them to Tampa for NYR's 2015 1st, Jon Drouin, and Brayden Point. I'd rather do that (if possible) than the one you mentioned. They're top 20 players, they could at least get a 1st and a really good player, or two 1sts (depending on the team)

He's suggesting on the last year, so not right now. I'm also assuming he's assuming that they won't be as good as they are now.

What contending team would have the cap space to take them both on?

It wouldn't necessarily matter if they were sending cap back.

I wouldn't trade them unless they asked. They've been model players for our franchise throughout their careers. If they wanted to leave for a shot at the cup it would be completely up to them.

So on the last year of the Sedin's contract, would you consider trading them at the deadline to a contending team, for 2 -2nds and 2-3rds, to allow them a run at a Stanley Cup

Aka: Ray Bourque

Would you even consider it?

Well, Bourque asked to be traded off of a Boston team that was likely not going to make the playoffs. Maybe he lied to the fans in order to allow the Bruins to save face in trading him, but I've not seen anything to suggest that this was the case.

The Sedins are giving every impression that they want to do a Mats Sundin and stay with their team, regardless of their chances for personal success in the playoffs. Good for them. (EDIT: Sundin was supposedly okay with a trade at the start of a season, but not at the deadline. He wanted to win a Cup with a team for which he had played the entire season).

If the Sedins did come forward and ask to be traded, then the team should try to accommodate them, assuming that doing so did not screw up a potential chance for the Canucks to advance to the playoffs (insert pillock comment: "LOLZattheCanucksmakingtheplayovsandtheSedinsbeingimportanttotheCanucksplayovchances" and so on).

The team would be crazy to not seek to trade them if a request was put forward. The problem is that there would have to be a lot of cap to be accommodated on both sides of the trade (even if it were the last year of the Sedins' deals). It wouldn't just be "We'll give you two high picks for the Sedins!"

regards,

G.

Depends. Would we get something worth their absence in return, and more importantly, would they want to leave?

Well, most folks who want to see the Sedins gone don't really think that far ahead. They just want to see the Sedins gone and there is an assumption that it will all work out.

regards,

G.

It wouldn't necessarily matter if they were sending cap back.

I wouldn't trade them unless they asked. They've been model players for our franchise throughout their careers. If they wanted to leave for a shot at the cup it would be completely up to them.

Yet in the example there's no cap dump coming back. And I'd certainly want more than the picks stated if there was.

Calgary.

So we'd trade them within our division? And would Calgary have cap space still in the last year of their deals, or would they have re-signed some players and/or signed UFAs to further help their roster?

I think the cap issue is overstated. We could retain %50 of each of their contracts. So essentially, we would be trading one 7.1 million dollar player, which is much more feasible.

Take a cap dump back (which could be flipped to another team if it has any value) and we could be a in position of strength.

That said, I think it's a highly unlikely scenario that we are ever in that position. I assume the Sedins will stay for the duration of their current contracts (and possibly beyond).

We could, but then I'd want much more in return since we'd be taking a camp dump on. I'd likely want more in return as is, never mind salary retention or camp dumps.

And not every team who'd fit the bill of where we'd look to trade them has a cap dump who also happens to be an expiring deal we could drop in the offseason (or re-sign for a fraction if they're actually useful).

Two 2nds and two 3rds? I'd deal them right now for that price and get the rebuild started for real.

Glad you are not the GM then. Dealing two top 20 scorers for 2nd round picks, that's just insane. Seriously why are the Sedins so undervalued here?

If the Canucks aren't playoff bound and it's their wish to do so, I'd fully support it and them wherever they landed.

Even if we had to retain cap to make it work, it would just mean we should get that much more in return :towel: Nab some nice prospects and/or picks and then re-sign them that summer on a 1-2 year deal B)

The thing is people, it is not really meant to acquire picks, although I did add picks, but really wanted to make it cheap for the other team, and only if Hank and Dank want to go........I would even consider paying some of their salary, and only if it is their last year.

It is not a punishment, it is a gift to them, and again, only if they wanted to go......personally, I would trade them to Ottawa, just to have them win the cup there and pi....ss Toronto off!

That's a different question though. You're thinking more along the lines of, "if the Sedins asked to be moved, would you move them?" We'd want the return to be good, but they'd likely pick teams and we might be extremely limited on what we can do to accommodate them.

Archived