The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Red Wings allow Babcock to speak with other teams

The Detroit Red Wings have granted permission to head coach Mike Babcock to speak with other NHL teams about potential job opportunities, general manager Ken Holland told beat writers Friday.

The Red Wings were eliminated from the playoffs in the first round by Tampa Bay, and Babcock's contract expires on June 30. The possibility of his leaving Detroit, where he has coached for the last 10 seasons, has been a hot topic for months as he's highly respected around the league.

Holland said he hopes to have a decision from Babcock by the end of May, and that the Red Wings would be due a third-round pick as compensation from the team that signs him.

Holland said both he and Babcock are headed this weekend to the world hockey championship in the

Czech Republic, where officials from many NHL teams are gathered.

TSN's Darren Dreger reported that new Edmonton Oilers GM Peter Chiarelli will reach out to Babcock.

Perhaps eyeing a potential replacement for Babcock, Holland said he would not grant permission to other teams to talk to assistant coach Jeff Blashill.

Babcock, 52, guided the Red Wings to a Stanley Cup win in 2008, and this year helped the team extend its streak of consecutive playoff appearances to 24.

He was also the head coach of the Canadian Olympic teams that won gold in 2010 and 2014.

One year too late for us I suppose. Babcock would have been amazing but I'm happy with Willie.

Wow. This sounds more like Babcock looking to see if certain teams are willing to make him an offer he can't refuse -- say $5 Million per maybe -- then going back to Holland to negotiate his deal. Then again, maybe he feels he just needs a change and the idea of actually teaching and molding a young team like the Oilers or Sabres really does appeal to him. Like a blank canvas waiting to be painted.

Is Pittsburgh allowed to talk to him even though they have a coach?

I could see them firing him and hiring Babcock.

Of course, any team is allowed and I read a while back ago that Babcock is interested in Pitts. I also read that any team that approaches Detroit for permission has to sign a compensation agreement. If interested team lands him, they have to give Det a 3rd round pick. Kind of like a UFA before UFA deadline.

He's overrated.

He only won his gold in 2010 because of luongo + the canucks fans at the games and then in 2014 he only won because luongo was the most calming back up of all time, along with Dan Hamhuis teaching n00bs like doughty who can't even make the playoffs, what hockey is.

Not to mention he's lucky in 2014 Henrik wasn't at the gold medal game or it would have been game over. Also Miller should have play instead of quick in the US Canada game.

What I'm saying is... Canucks > the universe.

I would totally kick those tires. Nothing wrong with demoting WD as an assistant learning form a guy like Babcock.

yes, a pipe dream anyways but if the Canucks had a chance and didn't even try I would be pissed. (they have no chance...)

I said / speculated on another thread that the real issue was Babcock wanted more control over player personnel.

At the beginning of the year he was pissed because Holland demoted Ouellet whom he had making his squad. Holland had of course done so to avoid losing guys on waivers.

He was also quoted as suggesting they lost in the playoffs because they had been winning too much. It had not let them accumulate the horses "you need" on defence.

The money will come and so it should. I believe what he really wants is power.

Still thinking Philly. Not afraid to spend cash and still in an alright position to do something in terms of winning.

Highly doubt Edmonton or TO is high on Babs' list, but you never know.

Sabres will end up with MacLellan.

Oilers Ted Nolan.

Sharks Hitch.

Devils Bylsma.

TO Eakins?

Still thinking Philly. Not afraid to spend cash and still in an alright position to do something in terms of winning.

Oilers Ted Nolan.

Sharks Hitch.

Devils Bylsma.

TO Eakins?

I predict none of these predictions come true. There is no way Ted Nolan ends up coaching in Edmonton.

Edmonton might be a good fit for Babcock. Problem is that he says he is taking his family's opinion before he decides. I seriously doubt his family would pick to live in Edmonton over the other destinations (i.e. San Jose, Philadelphia).

Oilers Ted Nolan.

Sharks Hitch.

Devils Bylsma.

TO Eakins?

This is a good list. And each has logic behind it. Only one I do not see is Eakins. I know his Marlies background. But he had little success in the NHL. I believe he should go back to junior, the AHL, become an assistant, college, somewhere and re-prove himself. Similarly Nolan should take a step back.

Musical chairs could play its hand. But yes a good list.

Here's my own take, not necessarily based on reality;

Hitch should recognize that he needs to reinvent himself. Go back to a teaching and developing scenario as he no longer has been able to push good veteran teams through based on tactics and structure. But Edmonton needs exactly those things?

Babcock to St Louis. He's got the studs on the backend and a wealth of talent. Both physically and in terms of skill dynamics.

McLellan back to Detroit, full circle...

Yes Blysma to Jersey.

Philly, will have been in on Babcock. Did Julien get fired? Claude Julien espouses the renewal of the broad street bullies.Otherwise a new candidate, say Luke Richardson or say Paul McLean?

Buffalo makes compensation to LA and John Stevens takes over.

Edit: SJ? No one wants to coach Joe Thornton. Toronto? Who cares!

Dbl edit > Maybe Nolan would be a good fit for the Sharks. He's happy to piss off players, and has a proven record driving guys out of town so you can bring in a new generation. Pst, Hey Ted, half mill bonus if you can drive Joe out... :P

Archived