The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Paying for transit

41 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I was taking a workshop in burnaby last week so had to take transit for the first time in... awhile. Maybe it was just the crowd on this stretch of street, but do I ever feel sorry for transit drivers for what they have to deal with.

On my bus, there were 5+ people (I seriously lost count) asking not to pay for their ride. The 1st one came onto the bus and pleaded with the driver, saying, "It's just a couple of stops. Please." He let her on with a few words of a disapproving tone.

The second was a man in his mid twenties who came on with an attitude, asking for a free ride. The bus driver refused him and the man proceeded to make a spectacle of himself. He said, "Here's 2 bucks. See? I'm paying." He threw the toonie onto the dash and walked a couple of steps down the bus and the driver again refused him a ride and said that it wasn't even in the coin collector. After depositing the toonie in the collector and calling him a fat bald ahole, he walked down the length of the bus. I told him he was being disrepectful and he gave me the finger.

The driver stood up and did not drive the bus. The man then pleaded and apologized and said he wouldn't be causing a fuss any longer and still the bus driver refused to move the bus. Eventually the driver gave him a ticket and told him to take another bus and he left still calling out profanities. Geez. He didn't even have the excuse of youth for his bad behaviour.

Does anyone know if bus drivers have or are allowed cellphones? If they were allowed to make that call, the freebies might stop.

They make money policing the skytrain seeing as it's an honour system. They make no money policing the bus and it's up to the poor bus drivers to take the abuse.

And they want to tax us even more so they can get bigger bonuses.. Get real....

Wait, would you support the tax if it was to fund police on the bus?

Also name me one transit system in the entire world that you've been on where police ride on the bus. It would be a colossal waste of money since 99% of bus routes don't regularly have any problems, not to mention people would be up in arms about the constant police presence.

The logical solution is to install plastic barriers on "problematic" routes such as the 20 and the 145, and they're already rolling out a pilot program to do just that.

I like how people complain about wasted money and then propose things that would be enormous wastes of money.

Slightly off topic but last time we had municipal election, there was this Meena Wong lady who advocated bus passes at $30/mth for everyone. Now that might be a bit too cheap but she has a point. A monthly pass now is $91/mth (1 zone), $124 (2 zone). $170 (3 zones). Don't you think if Translink dropped it to $50-75/mth range, ridership dramatically goes up, hopefully more profit = more buses, don't have to wait as long, more routes, less cars on the road ...

I guess so.

This topic made me think that in 8 years of taking transit, I've never seen transit police on a bus. I've seen bus drivers abused and people regularly ride for free. I think zero enforcement and no visible authority definitely have an effect.

I have seen one officer on a bus before (49th toward UBC). I was at Metrotown, and I think she was guarding the bus for the driver who had to pee or something because she was the only one on there and asked to see my uPass and student ID (and stopped checking as soon as the driver was back).

Archived