The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] CBC HNIC: Todd Mclellan To Oilers, Sather Stepping Down?

More like the Oil are afraid Babcock will say no-thanks to Edmonton, therefore will attempt to entice McLellan to coach the Oilers.

He is currently coaching Eberle and Hall at the Worlds.

This.

Oiler's will be this years Calgary Flames next year. Connor Mcdavid is too good, along with a handful of offensive players. They are going to be a tough team to beat next year.

not with that defense.

calgary built strongly with a good system and a good top four.

unless edmonton can bring in two or more top fours who can provide a steady presence, i don't think so.

People forget about Nurse and Klefbom. They're really good defencemen. If they keep using plugs like Fayne and Aulie they will go nowhere but they have some future on the back end. Also Marincin was thrown under the bus. They need to give that kid a chance or he's gonna bust.

Oiler's will be this years Calgary Flames next year. Connor Mcdavid is too good, along with a handful of offensive players. They are going to be a tough team to beat next year.

Cole Cassels has some thing to say:

Through 2 games

Cassels +4, 1goal, 3 points, gens lead 2-0

Mcdavid, -3, 1 assist, team down 2-0

And who's playing goal for the Oilers next season? Is it Scrivens and his 3.24 GAA and .89SV%, or Viktor Fasth and his 3.41 GAA and .88SV%?

The oilers need to trade at least a couple of their plethora of skilled forwards for steady help on the backend and in net. Before they do that they're not going anywhere. They can get crosby and they might still not make the playoffs until they shore up the back. When you're building you start from the ground up.

not with that defense.

unless edmonton can bring in two or more top fours who can provide a steady presence, i don't think so.

True, but it will be exciting hockey, scores like 7-5 will be the norm for them.

Imagine if they had a goalie like, Schneider?

not with that defense.

i now could see a trade involving the oilers second 1 round pick and hamius happening...

And who's playing goal for the Oilers next season? Is it Scrivens and his 3.24 GAA and .89SV%, or Viktor Fasth and his 3.41 GAA and .88SV%?

I honestly can't believe that Scrivens of all goalies playing for Edmonton of all teams holds the 56-save shutout record.

Hilarious.

I honestly can't believe that Scrivens of all goalies playing for Edmonton of all teams holds the 56-save shutout record.

Hilarious.

Even a blind squirrel gets a nut once and a while...

Having said that, I think it's important to mention that Edmonton hasn't had a bonafide coach in several years. With all due respect to Pat Quinn, his best years were behind him at that point, Tom Renney and Krueger, Eakins, etc aren't exactly coveted coaches in this league.

I know the Oilers roster can play better than they have, they just need a coach who can get them there...and they will get one this season.

Take a look at the Hawks before Quenneville arrived. They had talent, but couldn't make the playoffs until they stopped messing around with guys like Yawney and Savard and hired Coach Q. Within 2 seasons they had a Stanley Cup.

I'm not saying they will win championships right away, but I bet you that a good coach will make that team much more competitive and harder to beat.

This year they have more Grade A coaches available to them than any other year I can remember recently. It's a cornucopia of choices, and one of them will land in Edmonton.

It would be a mistake to underestimate them.

Archived