The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Drafting the 1st Round Picks 1986-2015: 1st Overall

104 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just something I thought would be interesting. If you were to have all of the last 29 years' (and 2015's) 1st round picks put into a draft, how would the draft order go down?

We'll use this season's draft order as of the draft lottery. Who goes first? McDavid? Ovechkin? Stamkos? Lindros?

Edmonton -

Buffalo -
Arizona -
Toronto -
Carolina -
New Jersey -
Philadelphia -
Columbus -
San Jose -
Colorado -
Florida -
Dallas -
Los Angeles -
Boston -
Calgary -
Edmonton -
Winnipeg -
Ottawa -
Detroit -
Minnesota -
Buffalo -
Washington -
Vancouver -
Arizona -
Toronto -
Philadelphia -
Winnipeg -
Anaheim -
Montreal -
Tampa Bay -

Owen Nolan, Mats Sundin, and Ed Jovanovski all played for the Canucks.

Lindros, Sundin or Crosby

Sundin NEVER had a decent winger. Think on that. One of if not the greatest swedish centerman of all time and he never had a winger worth the name to play with.

Lindros...well he was a damned game changer. Had he not run into Stevens and concussion issues his PPG pace was astronomical. The kid was worth the hype

Crosby. We've all seen what Crosby can do. Also what he cannot do. The guy IS a game changer, but not a stand alone cup winner.

The most important take away from this is the following. There are not many cup winners in that list of superstars and Daigles. There are also not many Crosby type players either.

While the 1st overall pick can define and change the fortunes of a franchise. It in no way shape or form comes close to helping a team win a cup. There are more players on that list that have or will retire without a cup than will win one. And Pitts has 2 of those players on that list. As well, a few of those guys won cups much later in to their careers Modano being the largest standout 10 years or so after his draft.

While a 1st overall is great. It is not a key to a cup. Edm shows that. While youth serves well in a cup run. It in no way needs to be a young team to win it.

Just something to think about

Lindros, Sundin or Crosby

Sundin NEVER had a decent winger. Think on that. One of if not the greatest swedish centerman of all time and he never had a winger worth the name to play with.

Lindros...well he was a damned game changer. Had he not run into Stevens and concussion issues his PPG pace was astronomical. The kid was worth the hype

Crosby. We've all seen what Crosby can do. Also what he cannot do. The guy IS a game changer, but not a stand alone cup winner.

The most important take away from this is the following. There are not many cup winners in that list of superstars and Daigles. There are also not many Crosby type players either.

While the 1st overall pick can define and change the fortunes of a franchise. It in no way shape or form comes close to helping a team win a cup. There are more players on that list that have or will retire without a cup than will win one. And Pitts has 2 of those players on that list. As well, a few of those guys won cups much later in to their careers Modano being the largest standout 10 years or so after his draft.

While a 1st overall is great. It is not a key to a cup. Edm shows that. While youth serves well in a cup run. It in no way needs to be a young team to win it.

Just something to think about

He had Kesler for half a season. Mind you, Sundin was completely out of shape and useless for the first month, but after that, they were solid together.

He had Kesler for half a season. Mind you, Sundin was completely out of shape and useless for the first month, but after that, they were solid together.

Kesler at age 40 for 2 months is not the same as having Kesler at age 29 in your prime feasting on a weak eastern conference.

Sundin had he had a solid winger would have been lights out. Much like people now mention Crosby needing. A bona fide 1st line winger.

No supporting cast means no cups and heaps of questions about ones career

Knowing what we now now, Crosby. Knowing what we knew before the draft only, Lindros. Just a beast in junior and world competitions and such an amazing physical specimen, too bad personal issues and concussion kept him from becoming what he should have been.

Right now I'd say Stamkos because he's only 25 and is over a point per game in his career, he has had multiple 90+ point seasons, amazing skater, and the best pure goal scorer I've seen other than Ovi. I think he is going to win a couple more rocket richards and maybe a hart.

You're missing a few years.

I voted for Crosby. Lindros was legendary, but do we consider his shortened career? I feel like Thornton should be in the top 5 for sure, maybe the top 3, but I suspect the respect he's lost will hurt his ranking on here.

Sundin gets my vote.

Big, strong, all-round, consistent center and captain, pretty much a Ryan Getzlaf, is someone I'd very much like to have on my team since you can't shut him down easily and his game's so versatile (can pass, can snipe, can take slap shots, can drive the net with that 6'5" frame).

Guys who are skill-based like McDavid can thrive in looser checking and with bigger line-mates, but there's no such weakness for Mats, and essentially I think he'd be a poor man's Mario (you didn't give that option, or I'd choose Super Mario).

Archived