The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Report) Top 2016 NHL draft prospect MAY sign with ZSC Lions.

He's better than McDavid.

Was a pretty big standout at the U18s. I look forward to seeing him in a Pheonix jersey, it is after all where he's from.

His birthday is Sept 17th, 2 days after this year's cut off.

Love it when people say things like this, just to be edgy. He is not better than McDavid. Have you seen McDavid play? He's just as good as everyone says.

He's better than McDavid.

Was a pretty big standout at the U18s.

I look forward to seeing him in a Pheonix jersey, it is after all where he's from.

His birthday is Sept 17th, 2 days after this year's cut off.

Never seen him play but that's difficult to believe.

Sorry dudes but he is better. Beat out Kane's point totals in a single tournament. Beat Eichel's USDP totals by over 30 points. At 6'2" 195 he's already NHL ready.

I hope he comes out for the U20 next year, if his pro team will let him.

5 point game vs. Slovakia.

He wasn't even that good in the World jrs.. He's not better than McDavid, not even close dude....

Sorry dudes but he is better. Beat out Kane's point totals in a single tournament. Beat Eichel's USDP totals by over 30 points. At 6'2" 195 he's already NHL ready.

I hope he comes out for the U20 next year, if his pro team will let him.

5 point game vs. Slovakia.

So a guy I have never heard of is better than McDavid and Eichel? I may not be an nhl scout, but I will go out on a limb and say you are wrong.

I watched him in the WORLD Jrs, he wasn't even the best player on his line.

So a guy I have never heard of is better than McDavid and Eichel? I may not be an nhl scout, but I will go out on a limb and say you are wrong.

I watched him in the WORLD Jrs, he wasn't even the best player on his line.

He's underaged at the WJC. He played on the 4th line, as USDP used their presets from prior years on the first 3.

• 3 months later...

Crow coached Zurich to a championship two seasons ago, standout Roman Wick had a career year, and Kenins earned himself a NHL contract. Last year, Zurich placed first in the NLA regular season, and once again made the finals, but lost 4-1 in a 7 game series. Like the article suggests, Crawford has won a cup and has extensive NHL experience.

Before Crawford, Bob Hartley won a championship with Zurich which got him a job back in the NHL — oh, and a Jack Adams trophy.

Point being, Matthews is going to a super-winning enviroment, where lots of NHL-like players have gone to play (Tambellini, M-A Bergeron, Kenins, Fristche, Wick recently) and this could be pretty good for his development. Could be an interesting precedent.

It makes no difference where he plays. He's already on everyone's radar for 1st next draft.

Can someone confirm is playing in that league changes his contract status for the AHL/RFA eligible years?

I'm pretty sure that the rule states that if you are drafted out of the CHL you must go back. Seeing as Matthews will be drafted out of Zurich he should be able to play in the AHL. But it's irrelevant because with his size and skill he is ready for the NHL.

Archived