The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Conservatives to Possibly Introduce Laws Charging Those who Speak out Against Israel or Boycott them with Hate Charges

Warhippy

No worries.

I had to spend a few minutes to wrap my head around it myself. And then look at 4 different definitions of the word. This bill and Bill C-51 are both literally right at the doorstep of the dictionary terms for fascism.

I wish I was fear mongering. Truly. But damn...this is scary.

Taking away a citizens right to speak their mind or conduct their business in a manner they see fit by dicating who they can or cannot sell items goods or services to (which is part of this alleged bill) is ridiculous.

October cannot come soon enough

OT but all bakers must sell cakes to same sex marriages?

I agree that the boycott as well as what Harper's government wants to pass are both ridiculous.

I guess Harper should send Obama a letter telling them to completely lift their embargo against Cuba. (I know, it's a process).

Because Israel's cool, man... they've got a cool flag, great location, and some cool scenery and places to visit... also, this kinda plays into it for me.

Those verses don't mean to support everything Israel does. Through the OT you can see that God does punish Israel when they are guilty of social injustice, the very sin they are accused of today against Gaza.

Those verses don't mean to support everything Israel does. Through the OT you can see that God does punish Israel when they are guilty of social injustice, the very sin they are accused of today against Gaza.

Very true. But no country is perfect. Except for Sweden, Switzerland, and Iceland. They're cool.

I like a lot of what the conversatives have done but Haprer has also done a bunch of unacceptable things including this and Bill C51 and that is enough for me to say that he will never have my vote.

I also openly voice my views about Israel and how I do not support their government or illegal occupation of Palestine.

Jail me already.

I support boycotts of Israel, not because I support and agree with Hamas (who are just as culpable and responsible), but because as a foreign power and leading nation, they (Israel) have in my opinion a moral responsibility to rise above petty back and forth skirmishes and eye for an eye retaliatory strikes. They also have a responsibility to honor cease fire terms, both sides (and it's extremely well documented) are guilty of assassinating key political figures on both sides of the fence during supposed times of cease fire.

Netanyahu is an ignorant fool, who says one thing then retracts and does the complete opposite. He conducts himself much like a 6 year old boy does on the playground when bullying a smaller 4 year old boy. Able enough to assert himself, but immature enough to claim he doesn't know any better.

For the record, Israel and Hamas are both at fault for allowing this bull$&!# dispute to continue, and the reasons for it to exist now have been warped and deformed from what the original issues were. Over simplifying the issue as Hamas being a terrorist organization, and claiming that Israel can do no wrong out of fear of anti Semitic claims is a cowardly excuse to draft and implement completely over reaching legislation that infringes upon our constitutional rights.

But, at the end of the day, that's just Harper's MO. Create blanketing legislation in such a vague manner and wording so as to allow the Government to charge individuals and organizations with whatever they want to suit the political agenda du jour.

I'll say it again, expecting someone to be held accountable for the things they do is not antisemitism, it's just the way things work. Harper's handling of foreign policy is so absurd that I don't even know where to begin.

2016 cannot come soon enough, and soon we will not have to deal with further BS from Harper, and in 10 years we will see what the fall out is as a result of all of the asinine legislation like C-51.

The political climate in this world is spinning so far out of control it's getting ridiculous.

</rant>

Perhaps this is sign that CJPAC has a bit too much influence? ie the website header features all 3 party leaders - http://cjpac.ca/

I have to assume not all Jewish Canadians support CJPAC, much like not all Jewish Americans support AIPAC or like not all smokers support big tobacco lobby groups. It's more about $ and politics.

Is there actually any evidence that these laws are going to be specifically directed against BDS? I see no issue with adding country of origin to anti-discrimination legislation. For example, if I were to deny someone a job solely based on the fact they were from Peru, that would be discrimination. The concept of race is such a made up term, and it often coincides with country of origin.

As far as the title concerning "hate speech", in Canada hate speech only involves call for genocide. So if I were to call for the genocide of people from a specific nation, I don't see how that's not hate speech. If there are members of the BDS movement calling for genocide of Israeli people, I don't see how that's not genocide. I also don't see how that prevents someone from boycotting an Israeli good.

As for the BDS campaign, I don't see any issue with many aspects of it. If you want to use private money to avoid buying goods from a country, that's your choice. However, the idea of boycotting academic works, research, arts, knowledge, etc...is just pure facism and no different than burning books. You cannot boycott ideas and knowledge.

Perhaps this is sign that CJPAC has a bit too much influence? ie the website header features all 3 party leaders - http://cjpac.ca/

I have to assume not all Jewish Canadians support CJPAC, much like not all Jewish Americans support AIPAC or like not all smokers support big tobacco lobby groups. It's more about $ and politics.

Here's what really gets me.

"Activating the Jewish community in the political process."

I'm going to make a rather generalized observation, and say what industries have significant representation by the Jewish community? Banking, Finance, Medicine, Science, Law, and now Government.

I'm not saying that's bad, or I'm indifferent or anything of that sort. But why aren't these kinds of movements being given opportunity to flourish by other ethnic or religious groups? What happened to the concept of separation of church and state? (I use that term colloquially to mean religion and state).

The other thing that really gets me, is all of the disparate foreign policies being practiced by countries around the world, and the joke that is the United Nations.

Governments shouldn't have foreign policies to begin with. The UN was supposed to be a world wide body of representation to help govern the disputes between nations, assist in foreign aid during times of disaster, war and other crisis.

Harper et al and all those before him for the large part, have placed far too much focus, time, resources and effort on everything that doesn't actually help this nation get better. It's not our solemn responsibility to divert and provide critical resources and such to countries who cannot help themselves, but it IS our responsibility, civilly and federally to instead use those resources to help those in need here at home first.

As a first world nation, there is absolutely no justification for allowing poverty, homelessness, starvation and significant abuses to continue. The social fabric in this country when it comes to support and resources for people in need is woefully nonexistent in any appreciable and quantifiable amount; especially for those with mental illness and substance abuse.

It's shocking that we've allowed our political landscape to erode to the point where we as the citizens, whom the Government works for is allowed to do things that we do not agree with. Where is the democracy in that? Politically, all levels of government have adopted the perception that we the citizens are beholden to them.

Sure many of us voice this dissent to our MPs, but it seemingly gets swept under the rug, and shrugged off with a laugh and a sip of bourbon like a parent, amused by their child's innocence. It's funny, the large scandal that was the robocall inquiry and nothing came of it, despite it having a decisive affect on the results of the last election by sowing confusion among the non conservative voting population.

Sometimes I almost wish that the dystopian fiction and fantasy of Cyberpunk became reality, at least I could get on board with corporations doing things for their own self interest instead of claiming to be doing them in the interest of the public. At least then people would have an actual choice as to how they live and conduct themselves and the rules they want to abide by.

Damnit it's a slow day in the office... never shoulda opened this page :)

Is there actually any evidence that these laws are going to be specifically directed against BDS? I see no issue with adding country of origin to anti-discrimination legislation. For example, if I were to deny someone a job solely based on the fact they were from Peru, that would be discrimination. The concept of race is such a made up term, and it often coincides with country of origin.

As far as the title concerning "hate speech", in Canada hate speech only involves call for genocide. So if I were to call for the genocide of people from a specific nation, I don't see how that's not hate speech. If there are members of the BDS movement calling for genocide of Israeli people, I don't see how that's not genocide. I also don't see how that prevents someone from boycotting an Israeli good.

As for the BDS campaign, I don't see any issue with many aspects of it. If you want to use private money to avoid buying goods from a country, that's your choice. However, the idea of boycotting academic works, research, arts, knowledge, etc...is just pure facism and no different than burning books. You cannot boycott ideas and knowledge.

I just want to point out the irony of this statement

Especially when weighed against and to the actions and legislation suggested and enacted by Harper over the last 2 months.

obama-franklin-security-privacy-quote.jp

What a politician said in the 1700's doesn't mean it makes sense for eternity.

Only thing your post proves is 2 American Presidents made conflicting statements more than 200 years apart. Which is hardly worth noting.

I just want to point out the irony of this statement

Especially when weighed against and to the actions and legislation suggested and enacted by Harper over the last 2 months.

Please explain the irony? Hate laws are directed at "breaches of the peace" or "genocide". Breaches of the peace being actual or threatened harm. In what part of the world is that part of knowledge or debate?

From the article:

A few days later, at the UN, Canadian Public Security Minister Steven Blaney went much further.
He conflated boycotts of Israel with anti-Semitic hate speech and violence, including the deadly attacks that had just taken place in Paris on the Charlie Hebdo magazine and a kosher supermarket.
Blaney then said the government is taking a "zero tolerance" approach to BDS.

What a politician said in the 1700's doesn't mean it makes sense for eternity.

Only thing your post proves is 2 American Presidents made conflicting statements more than 200 years apart. Which is hardly worth noting.

My though, one must be amazed when they look and see America has done a full 180 on the principles it was founded on. The same could be said for Canada as well but to a lesser extent.

Archived