The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Conservatives to Possibly Introduce Laws Charging Those who Speak out Against Israel or Boycott them with Hate Charges

Warhippy

My parent company boycotts Israel. Are they going to jail? Thinking probably not, as they're a huge corporation. I think these laws would only apply to commoners of the troublesome variety. Or perhaps troublemakers of the common variety.

Your parent company can stand up for the rest of Canada and exercise our rights as Canadians by vocally supporting boycotting Israel.

I have never really been active in not buying stuff made from Israel as they don't actually make much stuff, but from now on I will pursue this course of action more diligently.

Your parent company can stand up for the rest of Canada and exercise our rights as Canadians by vocally supporting boycotting Israel.

I have never really been active in not buying stuff made from Israel as they don't actually make much stuff, but from now on I will pursue this course of action more diligently.

Also doubtful. While they boycott Israel, plenty of Harper's other policies make more profit for them.

Also doubtful. While they boycott Israel, plenty of Harper's other policies make more profit for them.

Is Rogers your parent company? You work for Fido? LOL!

Hell doesn't matter I'm sure Harper will keep sucking your parent company's junk no matter what they do.

i really hope our young adults are paying attention to the legislation being tabled by the government recently and then go out and vote in october.

A lot of the older generation (including mine) is now so stuck in party politics and vote their party no matter what. It really is up to the youth of this country to speak their minds and vote for what they want this country to become.

counting on you guys!

There are plenty of countries worse than Israel. Luckily, they aren't placated as the closest ally. If Israel was just another crap stain on the map, these boycotts wouldn't happen. It's only because that sham of a democracy gets so much unequivocal support from many western governments that they do.

so because its closer to our ideals we treat it worse? Why does that make any sense?

For what it's worth there has been a sharp rebuke from the Harper Government tm; stating that it is an outright lie.

Except that the legislation that supports this bill was in fact enacted by the Harper Government last year and we've no reason to believe otherwise.

If this idea; as per this report, was being spoken of. It is in fact an idea on the table for Harper.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/tories-deny-plan-to-use-hate-crime-laws-against-israel-boycotters-1.3069723

=====================================================

The federal Conservatives are denying there's any basis to a CBC News story saying the government is signalling its intention to use hate crime laws against Canadian advocacy groups that encourage boycotts of Israel.

But the response from the Tories appears to contradict the email comments by a public safety ministry spokeswoman, who cited Canada's hate crime laws when asked specifically by CBC News about the government's "zero tolerance" for Israel boycotters.

Following the publication of the story on Monday, Jeremy Laurin, a spokesman for Public Safety Minister Steven Blaney, said that "this story is inaccurate and ridiculous. These laws have been on the books for many years and have not changed."

Jean-Christophe de Le Rue, director of communications for Public Safety, added that "politicians cannot lay charges — the independent police and public prosecution service do."

But de Le Rue amended Laurin's response, saying the "substance [of the law] has not changed in any relevant way."

De Le Rue's clarification most likely was in reference to Bill C-13, the so-called cyberbullying bill that received royal assent on Dec. 9, 2014. In that bill, Canada's hate laws were amended to include "national origin," along with race and religion, as criteria for groups that could be targets of hate speech.

Boycott movement concerned it may be targeted

That amendment has sparked concerns among those who support the global Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions movement, which began in 2006 at the request of Palestinian non-governmental organizations. The movement claims that Israel is violating the rights of Palestinians and has called for sanctions against Israel while seeking to target Israeli products and companies.

A number of organizations, including labour and student unions, the United Church of Canada and the Canadian Quakers, have endorsed such action.

Those who support BDS fear that the change in the law could lump in people who speak against Israel with those who are anti-Semitic.

In January, Canada's then foreign affairs minister, John Baird, signed a "memorandum of understanding" with Israeli authorities in Jerusalem, pledging to combat BDS, describing the movement as "the new face of anti-Semitism."

'Zero-tolerance approach'

Also in January, Blaney delivered a speech at the UN General Assembly stating that Canada has taken a "zero-tolerance approach to anti-Semitism and all forms of discrimination including in rhetoric towards Israel, and attempts to delegitimize Israel such as the Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions movement."

The CBC story was sparked by an email exchange between Josée Sirois, a spokeswoman for Public Safety Canada, and the CBC's Neil Macdonald, who had asked for clarification about Blaney's speech.

Macdonald asked what Blaney meant when he said Canada is adopting "zero tolerance" toward BDS," whether the memorandum of understanding has any force in Canadian law and if the authorities who work for Blaney are doing anything about the BDS movement.

Sirois responded that Foreign Affairs would be addressing his questions "regarding the work being done with Israel regarding BDS."

She then cited Canada's hate crime laws under the Criminal Code, saying that Canada has "one of the most comprehensive sets of laws against hate crime anywhere in the world."

She also highlighted the "hate propaganda" provisions in the Criminal Code criminalizing the promotion of hatred against an identifiable group and referred to Criminal Code provisions requiring that a judge consider hate, bias or prejudice when sentencing an offender.

What do Canadians gains from supporting Israel? Protection?

Historically, the Israelis have had a pretty decent army despite not being a large nation, and have been invincible when they followed God, so I'd say "Sure, why not?".

I had something, but it probably wouldn't be taken seriously on here, so... no point in trying to explain it.

If Canada was truly the peace-loving philanthropist nation it once claimed to be, I can't understand how the government can be in favour of Israel's policy to occupy and annex Palestine. I think it's a cruel irony that a people that once suffered under the Holocaust can willingly detain another group of people under forced annexation. Their government has endorsed the attack of hospitals and residences via rockets, and they have the blood of tens of thousands of innocent bystanders on their hands.

I digress...

To make any speech illegal is to lose our freedoms. I don't even believe in 'hate speech' laws. There are laws already in place to protect people and groups against harrassment, there is no reason to lock someone up because they might not like a certain group of people/ideology/etc no matter how unpopular the idea is.

Hypothetical example:

As a Westerner, I may develop a certain distaste for 'Eastern' Canadians. I might go as far as to say I don't like their mannerisms, attitude, 'People from Toronto suck' etc.

You might think this is ignorant and rude, and you may be right.

However, it is not illegal.

Even if your opinion is not educated and researched and makes no bloody sense at all, you should have a right to have it and express it (non-violently) without the fear of losing your freedom.

so because its closer to our ideals we treat it worse? Why does that make any sense?

Germany and France are closer to our ideals but our politicians don't suck their junks.

What do Canadians gains from supporting Israel? Protection?

Politicians want Jewish political contributions, influence and vote. Every government in Canada and US does. It's very understandable. But Harper literarily gets on his hands and knees with his month wide opened and panties down to his ankles and takes it til his pocket is full, and then some.

Harper is truly one of those ass-f%$kers who wholeheartedly obeys the marketing believe that 80% of your income will come from 20% of your customer base, so he focuses his ass-kissing on those 20%. People like that have no business being politicians of democratic countries.

From the looks of it, it seems as though the Conservatives have completely backtracked from this. The entire plan has backfired and now they'll be trying to cover their tracks.

What else was the plan going to do? Couldn't they have seen this coming?

Archived