The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

one does not simply feel feels

Twilight Sparkle

so like, i had a pretty sucky couple of days at work, for personal reasons, so my coworkers all noticed that my head isn't in the game and all urged me to stay behind after my shift to have a drink

at first i didn't really want to. i just wanted to come home and browse facebook and cdc like a loser, liking a couple funny things by mrtechnicaldifficult, and dudeholdmybeer, and commenting-giving encouraging words to a friend who's one of THOSE PEOPLE who constantly fish for attention, and liking AJ's 5,000th photo of her cat, then giving my two cents on airmchair gming... jk, i suck at being an armchair gm

so i decide to stay after my shift, then, lo and behold, i'm sitting at the bar, alone, while everyone's conversing with regulars and i'm left looking up at the tv's and watching some kind of bike race. i finish my beer, and leave, without anyone even noticing that i was even there

TLDR: friends invite you to party. come, they said, it'll be fun, they said. you're ignored and just wasted your time

2q3ot2h.jpg

share your feels. we've all been there

My ex broke up with me two weeks before last Christmas, three weeks before our third year together. Had already bought and wrapped her Christmas and anniversary presents, and luckily didn't book the vacation I was surprise planning for us. A week before I happened, we were looking at places to move out together, and nearly signed before she suddenly had a change of heart..

Worst part is, I got over her after a couple months, but still not over losing her family...was really good friends with her brothers, and her grandparents were more like mine then my own :(

I never really understood the appeal of bars. It always really loud so it's hard to have a conversation, the drinks are ridiculously expensive, and the waiting to pay/get served is always annoying. I can see it being okay in groups of 3-4.

People say it's a great place to pick up and mingle, but I rarely see this happen. Usually people go in groups and just stick to their groups.

Sorry you've had a rough day.

As far as being alone at the bar - that's up to you (IMHO) to go an mingle, or chat with your co-workers.

Reach out and take it.

+1; also how was your mood at the bar, OP?

As well-meaning as your friends were, I think the reality of those situations is that, unless it's just the 2 or 3 of you there and that it was established as a venting session between close friends (which it doesn't seem like since they were happy to chat with other regulars), people generally head to Ye Olde Waterin' Hole to have a good time themselves and they would've hoped that you would join so that in their conversation it would've taken your mind off of things and you would've been open to having a good time with them.

Thing is, when they see that you're not ready to have fun with them in their banter or whatever and it's a Friday or Saturday night, their attention would eventually migrate to others who are like-minded and open to that revelry, and having had experiences like that and learned from them, I wouldn't say it's entirely their fault to have done what they did. Beer is a relaxant, and there's a reason why the both stereotypical party people and booze are in the same place, it's so that the two can mix and the customers can let loose.

I'm sometimes still guilty of being overly reserved at bars myself, but hope you'd also learn to leave the baggage (physical and otherwise) at the door and relax with them for a night. You'd hopefully feel better and your friends would appreciate it.

$0.02

My ex broke up with me two weeks before last Christmas, three weeks before our third year together. Had already bought and wrapped her Christmas and anniversary presents, and luckily didn't book the vacation I was surprise planning for us. A week before I happened, we were looking at places to move out together, and nearly signed before she suddenly had a change of heart..

Worst part is, I got over her after a couple months, but still not over losing her family...was really good friends with her brothers, and her grandparents were more like mine then my own :(

that's the worst homie, once you're in with the family, you'd think you guys are pretty set

f0f2e7fb7a7788a426d4076fe4e75cc84d877cb7

I never really understood the appeal of bars. It always really loud so it's hard to have a conversation, the drinks are ridiculously expensive, and the waiting to pay/get served is always annoying. I can see it being okay in groups of 3-4.

People say it's a great place to pick up and mingle, but I rarely see this happen. Usually people go in groups and just stick to their groups.

i kinda sorta work in one xD my coworkers are all cool, but trying to sit and chat with server staff is almost impossible, unless you're a drunk pretty girl. i'm drunk and pretty but no girl D:

+1; also how was your mood at the bar, OP?

As well-meaning as your friends were, I think the reality of those situations is that, unless it's just the 2 or 3 of you there and that it was established as a venting session between close friends (which it doesn't seem like since they were happy to chat with other regulars), people generally head to Ye Olde Waterin' Hole to have a good time themselves and they would've hoped that you would join so that in their conversation it would've taken your mind off of things and you would've been open to having a good time with them.

Thing is, when they see that you're not ready to have fun with them in their banter or whatever and it's a Friday or Saturday night, their attention would eventually migrate to others who are like-minded and open to that revelry, and having had experiences like that and learned from them, I wouldn't say it's entirely their fault to have done what they did. Beer is a relaxant, and there's a reason why the both stereotypical party people and booze are in the same place, it's so that the two can mix and the customers can let loose.

I'm sometimes still guilty of being overly reserved at bars myself, but hope you'd also learn to leave the baggage (physical and otherwise) at the door and relax with them for a night. You'd hopefully feel better and your friends would appreciate it.

$0.02

my mood at the bar was, i kinda wanted to go home but once you start your beer, you've reached the point of no return.

i'll stay and converse with my coworkers after hours on like friday/saturday but i dont like being there too long after my shift, especially at 3 am when they finally start their cash out. i'll even help put away cups at the bar and wipe down their tables, just to help them out so they arent there until 4 in the morning. i can't exactly mingle with everyone else because i can't stand our clientele, because it's mostly industry people. i don't have a whole lot in common with stuck up servers D: i mostly ended up staying for the beer anyways, because staff discount

generally, once my shift ends, i'm gone

It's okay, TS. I'll be your friend.

yay!

my mood at the bar was, i kinda wanted to go home but once you start your beer, you've reached the point of no return.

i'll stay and converse with my coworkers after hours on like friday/saturday but i dont like being there too long after my shift, especially at 3 am when they finally start their cash out. i'll even help put away cups at the bar and wipe down their tables, just to help them out so they aren't there until 4 in the morning. i can't exactly mingle with everyone else because i can't stand our clientele, because it's mostly industry people. i don't have a whole lot in common with stuck up servers D: i mostly ended up staying for the beer anyways, because staff discount

generally, once my shift ends, i'm gone

Hmm, if I were you I think I would've just asked if they wanted to go for drinks after work after the following shift (hopefully one that ends earlier, at another location (don't like to hang out where I work). Also, good on you for sticking it out and staying around to help, hope they'd appreciate it and be open to spending time with you outside work.

Also, 3 AM is pretty darn late to be honest, and (were you tired?) if you were tired I think it'd be reasonable to want to head home. Part of the problem seems to be that you don't like the crowd where you work (lemme guess, some place like The Keg or Earls'?). Maybe try to get another job where you can serve people who you would be happy to talk to, say in a more homey restaurant? It'd be easier to talk with people when things are slow and chill and those kinds of business people wouldn't show up for drinks to a place like Denny's. Besides, not everyone's a mingler, and if you're not one don't force yourself, and even if you are one feel free to take breaks from that once in awhile, even the social animal needs a breather sometimes.

Hope things work out for ya!

Trying out Tinder. Didn't get any matches for weeks. Met a qt3.14 there, my first match. I sent her a few messages asking about her life, aspirations. She was perfect. Agreed to go out and watch Avengers with me.

My hands were so sweaty the whole time. I wanted to hold her hand. I tried and my hand slipped right off. She was disgusted. She didn't say anything to me afterwards. I really wanted to kiss her, man...

Haven't spoken to her since but I can't stop thinking about her. Got a few more matches but none compare to her.

Archived