The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning could look at trading Eddie Lack - Article

Hope we can get a good return for him. Not sure who would give us one.

Here's some ideas...

Eddie and Hunter to Florida for Jimmy hayes and Dylan Olsen

Miller Sbisa for Burns

Miller for big Joe

Eddie and Sven for hertl

Eddie + Sven for girgensons

Eddie + Sven for yakupov

Eddie to Blues for something... Iono what

Don't see any other fits team to team wise.

himym.gif

Edmonton, Winnipeg, Buffalo, Toronto, Arizona and Carolina could all be argued to need a goalie upgrade as well.

Arizona has one, Winnipeg and Carolina have two and goaltending is not the issue in Edmonton and Toronto. I don't think Buffalo wants one lol.

SJS has no number 1 come this off-season.

I can't believe most of you guys think Miller is worthless on the open market. You have got to be joking.

Have you looked at the UFA lists? For goalies it is practically one name long if you want a legit starter - Niemi.

After that its: Neuvirth (a whole 7 wins last season), Ramo (who has never played more than 40 games in a season and had a cap hit of 2.75M) Enroth (50 GP, 9.04 Sv%, and small) Gustavsson? Emery? Nabokov?

Lets look at the teams in a position to deal a goaltender who could potentially be a number one starter:

New York Rangers (Cam Talbot looked good when Lunqvist was down, is cheap but will need a raise, started 40 games)

Minnesota (If you think Dubnyk will be extended and they keep Keumper as relief, moving Backstrom - but who wants him?)

Ottawa (Lehner or Anderson will likely be moved to make room for the Hamburgler - probably the only legit goalie source)

Lets count the teams that legitimately need a real #1 (or where Miller would be an undeniable upgrade):

Buffalo

Carolina (arguably Ward could be bought out - his last year and he has been BAD - but they will ride his contract out)

Edmonton

San Jose

and less so:

Toronto

Winnipeg (aside from this season Pavalec has been the worst regular season starter over the last few years)

There are many, many teams riding one strong goaltender without a legitimate backup as well. They are an injury away from being out of playoff contention - see Columbus last year. That team would have made the playoffs easily but for a goalie injury.

The way I see it is there is maybe one legit starter available as a UFA (Niemi), and one legit starter available via trade from Ottawa (probably Lehner). Miller is arguably better than both of those players. For many of the teams seeking legit starters, even Lack is a likely improvement.

There is no way we are giving Miller away for a second rounder, much less buying him out for cap space. If Carolina, Edmonton and Buffalo want to keep losing for another season they may not be interested in Miller. But can Edmonton really afford another losing season and burn even more years off of their young players ELCs? Does Buffalo really tank again in a non-generational player year after already acquiring Eichel and Reinhart?

Miller can be moved for significant return. And if you don't like the return for him, no question Lack can be moved for high value.

Said it in a previous thread many top notch goalies are availble.

Riemer, Jimmy Howard, Gibson might be if ducks win the cup. why not? Hiller from calgary list goes on many goalies are on the market

Riemer - What has he shown compared to Miller? Top notch, absolutely not.

Howard - Is only being mentioned because he has played himself out of a starter job in Detroit. And the Market for 5M/year goalies who lose their starter jobs is what?

Hiller - in the first year of a very reasonable three year contract and has been part of an early Flames resurgence. Ramo is a UFA. Hiller gets traded why? And if he did, Calgary goes from two decent goalies to zero and are in the market for Miller.

Gibson - Career NHL starts = 26. Looks good for sure - on a team with deep defense favoured to win the cup. He is an RFA that Anaheim could re-sign for a very reasonable price and stabilize their goaltending for years to come. They trade him why? Are teams looking to add a legit starter going to gamble on a young goalie with 26 starts?

If I am San Jose, Miller has a short term contract with a reasonable cap hit and they can turn around and re-deal him if Stalock emerges or their core crashes again next season. Miller absolutely has trade value.

There's no market for Miller. There might be for Lack on the other hand.

There could be some interest in Miller you never know, Luongo was traded.

Keep Lack, trade Miller at all costs, moving Miller & our first for a higher pick would be a dream scenario (And I don't necessarily mean a high pick, just any pick higher than 23) but realistically just get rid of Miller however we can is the way to go.

Waiving him would still leave ~$5.1m on our cap...so not really much help. We'd be better of retaining $1-$2m.

the assumption is that a team would claim him if they didn't have to give up an asset to get him.

additionally, even the threat of waivers would likely be enough to open up his list of ntc teams.

There could be some interest in Miller you never know, Luongo was traded.

Keep Lack, trade Miller at all costs, moving Miller & our first for a higher pick would be a dream scenario (And I don't necessarily mean a high pick, just any pick higher than 23) but realistically just get rid of Miller however we can is the way to go.

Luongo wanted to be moved lol.

Miller has a NTC and the only team that has goaltending as a major issue is SJS who if I were would rather re-sign Niemi that trade anything of significance for a by then 35 year old goaltender with two years left at a 6M cap hit. Not good for a team that's probably looking to get back into a playoff picture.

Lack could entice them considering his cap and the fact that he could be a starter for them for a while.

I'd rather keep both Lack and Miller though unless we can get a deal done like Lack+our 1st for SJS's 9th overall.

Miller has a NTC and the only team that has goaltending as a major issue is SJS who if I were would rather re-sign Niemi that trade anything of significance for a by then 35 year old goaltender with two years left at a 6M cap hit. Not good for a team that's probably looking to get back into a playoff picture.

lack could entice them considering his cap and the fact that he could be a starter for them for a while.

On the contrary, Niemi is the only starter UFA and may be looking for 6M+ and term and possibly a NTC. His underlying numbers are good and he is durable and as you say younger than Miller. If San Jose is worried that their window is closing, why pile so much money into him as their starter, particularly if they are uncertain about him?

Lack could entice them considering his cap and the fact that he could be a starter for them for a while.

I'd rather keep both Lack and Miller though unless we can get a deal done like Lack+our 1st for SJS's 9th overall.

The point was Luongo was the same age and had a way worse contract than Miller.

Plus Luongo only wanted to go to 1 team, if he could be traded so can Miller.

I'm sure there are plenty of teams that wouldn't mind picking up a veteran goaltender like Miller for a low price.

The only way trading Lack makes sense if its for a high pick, although we should still try to trade Miller at all costs, our focus has to be getting younger plus Lack is the better goalie.

On the contrary, Niemi is the only starter UFA and may be looking for 6M+ and term and possibly a NTC. His underlying numbers are good and he is durable and as you say younger than Miller. If San Jose is worried that their window is closing, why pile so much money into him as their starter, particularly if they are uncertain about him?

If they wanted Miller they are not going to offer anything of significance. They want to get back into a playoff picture.

Getting Lack at his cheap cap hit could solve that considering they can get a good player out of FA. Getting Miller prevents SJS of getting anything good out of FA.

Miller isn't much of an upgrade over Niemi and is aging so why should they trade anything significant for him?

If they wanted Miller they are not going to offer anything of significance. They want to get back into a playoff picture.

Getting Lack at his cheap cap hit could solve that considering they can get a good player out of FA. Getting Miller prevents SJS of getting anything good out of FA.

Miller isn't much of an upgrade over Niemi and is aging so why should they trade anything significant for him?

Thats fine, its not like Miller is a valuable asset with the contract Benning gave him, this should just be about fixing the mistake of signing him to that contract & moving forward with Lack.

I've been trying to search why I have so much nostalgia for Lack. When I break down my feelings, I'm struggling to separate the personality from either goalie's abilities to stop the puck.

Here's what I have come up with.

Lack is such a funny character that I can overlook him not being noticeably better than Miller. Lack is certainly more cost effective. When all is said and done, I have to accept that nostalgia is a part of the way I choose my preferred team. I'm pretty sure I would make a terrible GM.

I choose Lack....a decision heavily influenced by the fist pump/leg lift and interview smirk.

The point was Luongo was the same age and had a way worse contract than Miller.

Plus Luongo only wanted to go to 1 team, if he could be traded so can Miller.

I'm sure there are plenty of teams that wouldn't mind picking up a veteran goaltender like Miller for a low price.

The only way trading Lack makes sense if its for a high pick, although we should still try to trade Miller at all costs, our focus has to be getting younger plus Lack is the better goalie.

Nobody will give up anything significant for Miller considering his NTC, the fact that he is an aging goaltender and his 6M cap hit.

The only team that truly needs a goaltender is SJS and Miller is not much of an upgrade over Niemi who could be had at a cheaper cap hit. If SJS wants to make the playoffs again then they need to address their D and goaltending. A goalie at a 6M would prevent them from finding a solid defenseman come FA.

That's why I think Lack would be better for SJS. His cheap cap hit would give them enough cap to address other issues in FA and the fact that he is an upcoming goaltender is hard to pass up.

IMO I think we should keep both goalies but if we are able to do something like Lack, Stanton and our 1st for SJS's 9th then i'd be happy.

Archived