The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Article] The Swift Decline of Hockey Night in Canada

Being 51 yrs old I think I have a better grasp on the fundamental underlying reason why all these hockey broadcasts have gone down the tube.

You all criticize this person and that person and so on and so on.

I find it disturbing that none of you realize that the real reason the broadcasts aren't what they used to be is because they got rid of

PETER PUCK

amateur article

Absolutely. Lines like this: "A man with a bellowing voice, narrating using the cheesiest, most cringeworthy script ever?"

Completely amateur.

Now, to the substance of the article. Yes, the nostalgia of HNIC is gone, but HNIC died long before Rogers got their grubby mitts on it, now we're seeing a transition into something different. There will always be resistance.

Please get rid of Don Cherry and his xenophobic comments entirely, he offers no value to a modern broadcast. Cut Ron McLean and his unprofessional personal agenda driven broadcasts out entirely. These guys should have been gone a long time ago and have no place moving forward to a more all inclusive broadcast.

Hey I don't know why anyone is surprised at the state of HNIC as the liberals and cons have cut funding to the CBC for the last 25+ years. It is our tax dollars that pay for ,so we get what we pay for like it or not. This is only the first year of the Sports Net contract and as usual they are a joke as they have always been. So get ready for 11 more years of Sportsnet/ CBC hockey coverage......God Help Us.

Keep:

Cherry = Because he is atleast honest; - AGREE

Friedman = Intelligent and knows how to stir the pot with red faced Healy and numpty boy Stock. - AGREE

Stromboli = Not the best guy for the job but atleast he is entertaining. - ENTERTAINING??, maybe he was on Much Music, but I care nothing for his opinion or charade in my hockey broadcast.

Fire:

Maclean: Idiot and an arrogant douche; - AGREE

Hughson: Personal opinion and own reasons. He is too arrogant. Voice is good though; - DISAGREE - he is a great voice for broadcasting, unfortunate he is the TO guy now instead of doing the late games for Canucks.

Simpson: Mediocre defencemen when he played, mediocre announcer/analysts now lol. Add the fact that he is too bias against the Canucks when he is commentating; - Simpson was never a Defensemen, he was a defensive center (pretty damn good too)... He does provide excellent insight, IMO and he recognizes small things casual hockey fans don't. I don't always agree with him, but he is an extremely intelligent hockey guy.

Healy: Pompous A$$ lol. He should just wear a Laffs jersey every time he opens his douchebag mouth; - AGREE - Pompous ass. He does sometimes provide excellent insight, but he enjoys talking about negative things and attacking players or teams for any mistake. I don't dig his constant negative feelings.

Stock: Still wet behind the ears and still speaks like a dumb jock lol; - AGREE, He is a complete jack ass and plays favorites with his old teams

Oake: Has the personality of an accountant (no offence too all you accountants lol). - AGREE, but I don't mind him. His interviewing I think is good for casual fans, and he asks questions casual fans might be interested in, and sometimes an off the wall question that catches my attention. I don't mind him, for whatever reason, maybe because he's been there so long he has grown on me.

Who I would like to see as an analysts? Denis Potvin. Articulate and well thought out. And an amazing defencemen when he played for the Islanders. - AGREE, he is great, but he does Islander broadcasts, lives in NY, and I think he is happy where he's at. If he wanted to join the CBC or Sprtsnet team, it would be great but I don't think he wants to move back north.

Recommendations to fire: Strombo.....

Being 51 yrs old I think I have a better grasp on the fundamental underlying reason why all these hockey broadcasts have gone down the tube.

You all criticize this person and that person and so on and so on.

I find it disturbing that none of you realize that the real reason the broadcasts aren't what they used to be is because they got rid of

PETER PUCK

I also remember watching Peter Puck,also Howie Meeker when my dad would let me say up to watch games....grew up on the east coast, so games didn't start until 8:30 and 9:00 PM,Canucks games 11:30 PM and sometimes 12 AM depending on who they played.This was way before CBC showed 2 games on Saturdays and most of the kids i knew growing up were Leafs,Habs or Bruins fans. i don't think i even got to see the Canucks play until 1982 when they were in the Stanley Cup final.

Good:

Cherry: Old, kinda crazy, always entertaining, but sure knows hockey.

Friedman: Only knowledgable panel guy, unbiased as well. Tell it like it is.

Bad:

Hughson. What happened Jim? Used to be one of the best! Maybe he's paid to be a Leaf homer. But he's almost turned anti-Canuck. Hard to believe he was on EA Sports with Don Taylor (Honestly that was one of the best pairings I've ever heard).

Cuthbert: He also has a slightly anti-Canuck bias, not obvious, but you'll notice he doesn't praise Canucks as much as the other teams. Once again along with Jim he's one of the better play-by-play guys.

Strombo: He's better than McLean but that doesn't say much. I'd rather have Greg Sansone, a pro and a guy who knows hockey.

Ugly:

Healy, Kyp.

How to fix. Bring back After Hours. Do that NHL Showdown, for $50,000 for the favourite charity and a brand new car.

Have the NHL Showdown in various Canadian Cities. It would be awesome.

Get rid of the panel except for Elliot. Have Greg Sansone host. Bring in smart ex-NHL'ers like Auld, Ferraro, etc.

Have more Canadian player profiles. Updates on AHL, and other leagues so not only are games discussed. Have previews of

prospects for Canadian hockey teams.

Bring someone else to work with Cherry, and give Cherry more airtime.

• 3 weeks later...

Good:

Cherry: Old, kinda crazy, always entertaining, but sure knows hockey.

Friedman: Only knowledgable panel guy, unbiased as well. Tell it like it is.

Bad:

Hughson. What happened Jim? Used to be one of the best! Maybe he's paid to be a Leaf homer. But he's almost turned anti-Canuck. Hard to believe he was on EA Sports with Don Taylor (Honestly that was one of the best pairings I've ever heard).

Cuthbert: He also has a slightly anti-Canuck bias, not obvious, but you'll notice he doesn't praise Canucks as much as the other teams. Once again along with Jim he's one of the better play-by-play guys.

Strombo: He's better than McLean but that doesn't say much. I'd rather have Greg Sansone, a pro and a guy who knows hockey.

Ugly:

Healy, Kyp.

How to fix. Bring back After Hours. Do that NHL Showdown, for $50,000 for the favourite charity and a brand new car.

Have the NHL Showdown in various Canadian Cities. It would be awesome.

Get rid of the panel except for Elliot. Have Greg Sansone host. Bring in smart ex-NHL'ers like Auld, Ferraro, etc.

Have more Canadian player profiles. Updates on AHL, and other leagues so not only are games discussed. Have previews of

prospects for Canadian hockey teams.

Bring someone else to work with Cherry, and give Cherry more airtime.

the fanbase out east (Mostly) Toronto disliked him for being too much of a homer towards Vancouver. So he felt pressured to better start slamming the Canucks whenever he broadcasts Vancouver. Pretty much, "to be liked you have to hate Vancouver Canucks" which in the end, he was forced to do what he wasn't use to do.

CBC is just a mess right now. I stopped caring about them since 2004 actually, the way the casted the Canucks as the enemy against Calgary.

Yes HNIC is certainly dropping off these days. Its too bad, I know everyone has beefs with different commentators, play by play guys or alalysts, but I mean its a Canadian tradition. I've been watching with my dad since I was 3 years old in 1988. Its too bad it likely won't be around by the time my two boys are into hockey. Like I said they've had some crappy analyists, Healy, Torts, Strombo lol, terrible. But I still always enjoyed Don Cherrys ever more meaningless rants each week, the old hot stove lounge. Saturday hockey used to be the best, tune in for the early game and watch the Leafs get pounded before the real hockey starts at 8(7 for you British Columbians).

HNIC on CBC was a professional and excellent broadcast, Glenn Healy is the worst tho.. I wish that CBC had retained the rights to the show, but Sportsnet is much more inclusive, WE NEED A FULLY DEDICATED CANUCKS BROADCAST FOR TV AND RADIO !!

Yes HNIC is certainly dropping off these days. Its too bad, I know everyone has beefs with different commentators, play by play guys or alalysts, but I mean its a Canadian tradition. I've been watching with my dad since I was 3 years old in 1988. Its too bad it likely won't be around by the time my two boys are into hockey. Like I said they've had some crappy analyists, Healy, Torts, Strombo lol, terrible. But I still always enjoyed Don Cherrys ever more meaningless rants each week, the old hot stove lounge. Saturday hockey used to be the best, tune in for the early game and watch the Leafs get pounded before the real hockey starts at 8(7 for you British Columbians).

Sums it up.

And skinny jeans have no place in hockey. Truth.

Archived