The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Jordan Subban

Nail

5'9" DEFENSEMAN is a recipe for constant concussions......... Or was he signed to play midget Hockey?

We are hoping and praying that he undergoes a growth spurt before he is NHL ready, his apparent skill set would be nice,

but I do not think we need more guys that cannot clear the crease.

So among the things he does well;

- Pretty sure we have no one shy of Baer who is as explosive in quickness in our system. And Jordi adds strength. I can see him dancing guys who come to attack him at the point to jump into lanes and create chances. How good is his dangle? (honest question) His athleticism is through the roof!

- He has an absolutely wicked shot.

Flame away.

He will most likely never be an NHL defender.

I personally hate small d-men in the playoffs, they get worn down pretty quickly and get ragdolled in front of the net.

Hope he proves me wrong.

That's a chance!

But the boy is strong as an ox. And will have a low center of gravity. I'm not too worried about him being abused physically. LOL, with his feet planted I can see him shoulder checking Lucic in the arse and Looches eyes popping out.

To me its more about line of vision. Seeing around big bodies... And whether he can get through a maze of arms to push on a forward in the crease.

5'9" DEFENSEMAN is a recipe for constant concussions......... Or was he signed to play midget Hockey?

We are hoping and praying that he undergoes a growth spurt before he is NHL ready, his apparent skill set would be nice,

but I do not think we need more guys that cannot clear the crease.

Ignorant posts like these remind me why I no longer post here. Kris Russell is only 5'10, I don't think there is anyone on here that wouldn't want him on our team.

Ignorant posts like these remind me why I no longer post here. Kris Russell is only 5'10, I don't think there is anyone on here that wouldn't want him on our team.

Someone else has pictures of Rafalski up on the last page.

He was only 5'10'' as well, 191 lbs according to Wilki... That looks to me like the weight Jordan will play at in a year or so.

Torey Krug is listed on the B's site as 5'9'' and 181 lbs.

I don't think anyone is saying he is going to be the next PK. But he may bring something that this team has been lacking for a while now and that is offence from the D.

Yes, but we also need defence from the D. And small size is a big issue given the importance of reach (to clog passing lanes, etc.) in the defensive zone.

But, no argument from me. He has done well in the OHL for a 4th round pick. At this stage he is a lottery ticket and does better than most guys below the 2nd round. Not as well as Cassels, who now looks like a lot more than a lottery ticket, but worth signing.

Who cares whether he makes the team or not, can we just be happy we have a guy who can potentially become a good player instead of saying "who cares hes to small". Lets just be happy we have him.

Why don't these. " short " guys just use a taller blade????? Seriously what's two inches, c'mon !

Still wouldn't surprise me to see Subban traded to Montreal. In general "sign and trade" deals are for some reason thought to be kind of "tacky", but not if that is what the player wants. And I would guess that Subban would like to go to Montreal.

But, if not, he will get a chance to show what he can do at the pro level in Utica next year. Elite Prospects is as up-to-date as any source on player size and they still have him at 5-9. At age 20 he is not likely to get any taller, but it could happen. Hard to see a 5-9 D-man making it in the NHL. Not impossible, but hard.

5'9 isn't really the issue at this point,its his weight...PK is only an inch taller, but at 218lbs,pretty solidly built...Jordan is listed at 185lbs....Having an older brother to mentor him could only be good..imo.

PK is 3 inches taller.

Jordan doesn't have to pan out to be as good as his brother or Rafalski to be a valuable player for us. If he can end up like Krug - help our PP, and transition the puck fast enough to not be too much of a liability - that's outstanding for a 4th round pick.

As for 5'9" D-men in the NHL playoffs, Jared Spurgeon didn't look too bad for Minny. Third in icetime in the Minny D-core, and tied for most points among them with Dumba.

Archived