The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Thought] Canucks should target the 7th and/or 8th picks

This draft year is deep and reminds me a lot of the 2003 draft year in some ways. Assuming the top 6 draft picks go in the order of ranked North American skaters (which I believe they will), then available at the 7th and 8th picks are:

7th - Ivan Provorov

8th - Mikko Rantanen

Provorov looks borderline NHL ready, and Mikko Rantanen looks like an unreal prospect. In other draft years both of these guys would go in the top 5. The Canucks should target these guys.

I guess the question I have is what would it take to get these picks? Both the Flyers (7th pick) and CBJ (8th pick) need to improve their blue lines. But what do we have that they would want? Chris Tanev is untouchable. Elder would certainly be trade bait, but we couldn't trade him straight up for a 1st.

What would it take to get one these picks?

I would trade Jake Virtanen for Ivan Provorov no questions asked

inb4 the critics..

I'd very much like Provorov. But not for Virtanen straight up. We'd be better off to package other players such as Jensen/2015 1st round pick/Zack Kassian. Ha, I don't think even that will be enough but it's a start.

I'd jump off a tree if we get either Provorov/Rantanen.

I agree about trading Jensen + 2015 1st + kassian (something liek that). But CBJ and the Flyers both have hard needs on defense...

I wonder if the Flyers would do 2015 1st + 2nd + prospect for Alex Edler? We'd likely need to trade now, before the draft. That way we could pick Rantanen at 7th if Provorov goes earlier (which he may). Provorov isn't guaranteed to be there at 7th, so the Flyers may make that trade now?

Edler is a top pairing D-man, and should command a Kesler-esque price. High end 1st pick + roster player + prospect. In this case, I'd rather skip the Luca Sbisa filler and get 1st + decent prospect + 2nd.

I like these ideas but I think you're over valuing Alex Edler. He's a good d man but I don't know if I'd call him top paring. I think he's a strong #3 on average who can play like a weak #1 at times.

I'm not sure he's worth a #7 or #8 pick straight up, not to mention an additional pick and prospect.

If we could get that kind of package for him, and have him waive his no trade, I'd dance like no one has ever danced before.

Philly is in need of help on the Blue line and would love edler.

I dont think that Edler straight up will get the pick but i also think our First+Edler is too much

My Idea would be Edler, Kassian 2015 first round pick for Phillys 2015 1st round pick + Luke Schenn

Edler>>Schenn

Phillys 1st > Kassian+Vans First

Van looses some Cap Space and moves up in the draft

Only way i deal Edler is if we are using the pick to Draft Provarov, Schenn also adds some grit to our back end

Philly is in need of help on the Blue line and would love edler.

I dont think that Edler straight up will get the pick but i also think our First+Edler is too much

My Idea would be Edler, Kassian 2015 first round pick for Phillys 2015 1st round pick + Luke Schenn

Edler>>Schenn

Phillys 1st > Kassian+Vans First

Van looses some Cap Space and moves up in the draft

Only way i deal Edler is if we are using the pick to Draft Provarov, Schenn also adds some grit to our back end

I dont know if Philly wants to trade that pick for Edler. They dont want to win now they need to rebuild. Edler will be far down the line into his decline by the time Philly is any good whatsoever.

To be honest I'd rather make a MONSTER trade with Arizona for the 3rd overall pick and revamp this team, focussing on defence:

TO VAN: 3rd overall pick + Oliver Ekmann-Larsson

TO ARI: 23rd overall pick + Virtanen + Clendening + McCann + Sbisa + 2nd round pick (which we acquire for Higgins somewhere else)

Essentially, its the 3rd overall for the 23rd overall + Virtanen + McCann, and OEL for Clendening + Sbisa + 2nd. Personally, I think we overpay a tiny bit but we'd have to in order to snag such quality.

With the 3rd overall pick, we could make our team very interesting. We could either draft Strome and solidify our center position, or Hanifin and have arguably the best defence in the future NHL all of a sudden.

With Cassels playing brilliantly right now, McCann is slightly expendable.

With Subban re-signed, Hanifin and OEL coming in, Sbisa and Clendening are definately move-able.

You have to give up quantity/quality to get premium quality, and that's what this trade does.

Say we draft Hanifin.

2015-2016 Defence:

Ekman-Larsson - Tanev

Edler - Bieksa

Hamhuis - Corrado

Stanton

2016-2017 Defence:

OEL - Tanev

Edler - Corrado

Hanifin - Hamhuis

Subban

Scary depth on the blueline. Of course, if we go with Strome, we still have OEL and Edler to log big minutes in the future (OEL being only 23), but would really be stacked down the middle physically and talent-wise, with Strome - Horvat - Cassels - Gaunce as a very good two-way, physical, playoff-ready center core.

To be honest I'd rather make a MONSTER trade with Arizona for the 3rd overall pick and revamp this team, focussing on defence:

TO ARI: 23rd overall pick + Virtanen + Clendening + McCann + Sbisa + 2nd round pick (which we acquire for Higgins somewhere else)

Essentially, its the 3rd overall for the 23rd overall + Virtanen + McCann, and OEL for Clendening + Sbisa + 2nd. Personally, I think we overpay a tiny bit but we'd have to in order to snag such quality.

With the 3rd overall pick, we could make our team very interesting. We could either draft Strome and solidify our center position, or Hanifin and have arguably the best defence in the future NHL all of a sudden.

With Subban re-signed, Hanifin and OEL coming in, Sbisa and Clendening are definately move-able.

You have to give up quantity/quality to get premium quality, and that's what this trade does.

Say we draft Hanifin.

2015-2016 Defence:

Ekman-Larsson - Tanev

Edler - Bieksa

Hamhuis - Corrado

Stanton

2016-2017 Defence:

OEL - Tanev

Edler - Corrado

Hanifin - Hamhuis

Subban

Scary depth on the blueline. Of course, if we go with Strome, we still have OEL and Edler to log big minutes in the future (OEL being only 23), but would really be stacked down the middle physically and talent-wise, with Strome - Horvat - Cassels - Gaunce as a very good two-way, physical, playoff-ready center core.

I know it seams like to give up a lot, but why does Arizona trade their 2 greatest assets to downgrade everywhere?

I doubt that Arizona takes that package for either of those assets, much less both.

Clendening and Sbisa have little value. Virtanen is a decent project who's stock has fallen slighty since he was drafted. Neither him or McCann look like elite prospects, and neither looks like a #1 line player.

In a cap world, elite players have exceptional value, and fungible players have little value, as they can usually be obtain easily as teams cannot protect all of their complimentary players. It's why a guy like Clendening was available in the first place.

Say we draft Hanifin.

2015-2016 Defence:

Ekman-Larsson - Tanev

Edler - Bieksa

Hamhuis - Corrado

Stanton

2016-2017 Defence:

OEL - Tanev

Edler - Corrado

Hanifin - Hamhuis

Subban

No way you are touching OEL or their 3rd round pick without the name Horvat in there.

The Canucks also have a severe need for defensmen. It really doesnt make sense to trade any of Hamhuis, Edler, or, Tanev. Perhaps moving Bieksa, being that theres going to be 3 RHDs in Weber, Corrado, and Clendenning that could likely fill in the right side behind Tanev.

Deal Hammer or Edler and your left with Sbisa and Stanton filling out the left side... :sadno:

If theres a deal for one of those picks, I suspect it'd have to involve KB3 to waive his NTC, Lack, and our 1st round pick. Honestly I just dont see those teams trading those picks unless they were able to find an asset like Tanev +.

CBJ also has #34, #38, #68, and #69... Id say those are far more likely trade targets for us, and far easier to pry, though I keep hearing how fond of the 2016 draft Benning is and wouldnt be surprised if he chased a couple of those picks as they may be more attainable being a year off.

One name that may create some interest is Vrbata. There will be teams searching for a scoring RW and free agency isnt looking all that spectacular with Williams, Ward, Ryder and Upshall heading up this years RW class. Not that the Canucks could really afford to lose Vrbata, but seeing how therell certainly be very few available via trade, and if a win now team like Mtl, Was, Pitts were willing to pay the price for the 30/30 scorer, Benning and co would be wise to make that happen without taking a salary dump beyond this season as next years UFA list is off the charts loaded with home town game changers like Seabrook and Ladd. Hold onto ZK and Burr for a top 6RW role, and move the asset whom almost certainly will not be re-signing with Vancouver....

Say we draft Hanifin.

2015-2016 Defence:

Ekman-Larsson - Tanev

Edler - Bieksa

Hamhuis - Corrado

Stanton

2016-2017 Defence:

OEL - Tanev

Edler - Corrado

Hanifin - Hamhuis

Subban

OEL is considered a god out in the desert, I don't see them parting ways with him. They are trying to build a D around him there.

Jacob Larsson is a young swedish defender that could turn out just like OEL (he models his game after him) and also plays a lot like Edler with his smooth skating and heavy shot. Won't help the Canucks now but could be a good prospect to get for down the road. Probably go in mid-late 20's?

If Canucks get anyone from ARZ I'd like it to be Henrik Samuelsson. If even a deal involving Kassian for Henrik + pick I would do it.

Archived