The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

RIP BB KING

Orka

A guy like Clapton must feel the weight of so many contemporaries/influences passing, some of them so young(& long ago)...

BB

JJ Cale

was it Bruce or Baker, from Cream?

George Harrison

SRV

even Duane Allman(Derek & Dominoes)

The memories these guys must have shared! They were living Gods back in the hippie-heyday.

This is the first Off Topic "Death Thread" I've cared to post in ... Anyway, I copied his butterfly vibrato maneuver as a teenager and it has resulted in me thinking of him for a split second pretty much every single day for many many years. Huge impact on my playing.

And I'm sure as hell not the only one that this happens to.

Massive icon. And 89 years is fantastic, nothing to be sad about.

Prolific guitar riffs.

BB King was my main inspiration for learning guitar in my youth. I vividly remember begging my Mum for an electric guitar because I couldn't play blues chords on the nylon string classical POS guitar I started on. I had to struggle with that thing for a year before she would even consider an upgrade (probably helped me immensely in the long run). When it was finally time to upgrade, I desperately wanted a Epiphone ES-335 because of BB King, but it was too much money. I bought my first ES 335 from The Captain (aye aye and goodbye) in the early 90's and I still have it. I literally scrimped, saved and traded any worldly possession of value I had to The Captain as trade for it. I would tape myself playing 12 bar blues on my cassette recorder and mimic BB King solos repeatedly.

RIP BB King. One of the originators of Rock, the God Father of modern blues and proof people with stubby fingers (like me) can play with the best of them. You can keep your Steve Vai and Joe Satriani, BB King had more soul than those two freaky long fingers combined.

It's tough to be sad when someone lives to 89, but selfishly I am truly sad.

giphy.gif

Prolific guitar riffs.

BB King was my main inspiration for learning guitar in my youth. I vividly remember begging my Mum for an electric guitar because I couldn't play blues chords on the nylon string classical POS guitar I started on. I had to struggle with that thing for a year before she would even consider an upgrade (probably helped me immensely in the long run). When it was finally time to upgrade, I desperately wanted a Epiphone ES-335 because of BB King, but it was too much money. I bought my first ES 335 from The Captain (aye aye and goodbye) in the early 90's and I still have it. I literally scrimped, saved and traded any worldly possession of value I had to The Captain as trade for it. I would tape myself playing 12 bar blues on my cassette recorder and mimic BB King solos repeatedly.

RIP BB King. One of the originators of Rock, the God Father of modern blues and proof people with stubby fingers (like me) can play with the best of them. You can keep your Steve Vai and Joe Satriani, BB King had more soul than those two freaky long fingers combined.

It's tough to be sad when someone lives to 89, but selfishly I am truly sad.

giphy.gif

No question BB is one of the Godfathers of blues Guitar. Vai and Satriani are in a completely different spectrum and guitar God's in their own right.

Their technical mastery is mind blowing. No doubt they hold BB in the highest regard :)

I love my vintage Epiphone LPC. So much resonance and sustain :D

I saw him in Victoria a couple of years ago, the guy was old enough to talk of white water and black water fountains because he was there, man did the world change a lot during his life. Heck of a guitarist, also seemed like a truly good guy. he used to come up to the bridge of the ferries over to Victoria, never heard a crew man say a bad thing about him, true class.

Not many of the old blues guard left now, I'd say John Mayall maybe the oldest most famous/accomplished on the planet, I figure Clapton for being a bit younger.

Archived