The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Boston Marathon bomber Sentenced to Death

NucksPatsFan

Nope but when it comes to 4-life criminals there's 2 options: help them or kill them. But don't waste tax payer's money keeping these guys in prison or risking the general population if they should happen to get out again. I believe a mam has to answer for the wicked things he's done.

You are aware that executing a prisoner is more expensive than keeping him in prison for life, right? So are you in favor or executing without appeal? And what do you say to the families of executed people who were exonerated of their crimes too late?

Blood thirst sickens me. :sick:

The problem with capital punishment in my eyes is that you can't just say that it should only be used in certain cases where guilt is 100% proven, or the crime is especially heinous...

In such cases, a human being has to make the decision on whether the crime meets one, or both of those criteria, but in the case of the United States, they have shown themselves to be very poor judges of this.

Tory Davis and Damien Echols of the West Memphis Three were both thought to have met the second criterion. Both were sentenced to die and both were innocent.

Echols was "lucky". He's still alive, although he spent most of his adult life in prison. Davis is dead. Killed to assuage the "blood thirst" that LC mentioned.

You are aware that executing a prisoner is more expensive than keeping him in prison for life, right? So are you in favor or executing without appeal? And what do you say to the families of executed people who were exonerated of their crimes too late?

Blood thirst sickens me. :sick:

In the 21st century how often would you get it wrong though? You catch someone on tape, match DNA, have many credible witnesses for a horrible crime. Give them 1 year to appeal.

How can it be cheaper to keep someone alive for 30-50 years then to kill them??? I don't buy that bs...what's a .308 slug? 2-3 bucks? What's a good chunk of rope? $30??? I can't figure out how to keep someone alive for a buck a year.

In the 21st century how often would you get it wrong though? You catch someone on tape, match DNA, have many credible witnesses for a horrible crime. Give them 1 year to appeal.

How can it be cheaper to keep someone alive for 30-50 years then to kill them??? I don't buy that bs...what's a .308 slug? 2-3 bucks? What's a good chunk of rope? $30??? I can't figure out how to keep someone alive for a buck a year.

Wow, you must live under some sort of impenetrable rock in fantasy land. Did you miss this story, perhaps?

FBI admits flaws in hair analysis over decades

It's been gotten wrong plenty of times, and will continue to be so. Human error? Check. Cops falsifying evidence? Check. Witness erring? Check. So much can go wrong, yet you're happy to save a buck at the price of human lives. Says a lot.

Wow, you must live under some sort of impenetrable rock in fantasy land. Did you miss this story, perhaps?

It's been gotten wrong plenty of times, and will continue to be so. Human error? Check. Cops falsifying evidence? Check. Witness erring? Check. So much can go wrong, yet you're happy to save a buck at the price of human lives. Says a lot.

Hypothetically lets say, someone breaks into your house ties you up. Rapes your children, then beats everyone to death with say a hammer or other type of blunt object that makes them suffer horribly or maybe even ties them up and stabs them repeatedly. You survive, the sickos who perform these violent acts get apprehended. You're saying you'd be okay with your tax dollars keeping these/this guy(s) alive for 20-30 years? You'd be happy with letting them live (and relatively well in this country(x-box, pool tables, in some cases driving range,etc) all in the name of human compassion that some criminals clearly don't have?

Hypothetically lets say, someone breaks into your house ties you up. Rapes your children, then beats everyone to death with say a hammer or other type of blunt object that makes them suffer horribly or maybe even ties them up and stabs them repeatedly. You survive, the sickos who perform these violent acts get apprehended. You're saying you'd be okay with your tax dollars keeping these/this guy(s) alive for 20-30 years? You'd be happy with letting them live (and relatively well in this country(x-box, pool tables, in some cases driving range,etc) all in the name of human compassion that some criminals clearly don't have?

As a victim, what I want is irrelevant. Unlike you, I don't subscribe to the eye for an eye way of thinking. While my emotional state would be thirsty for blood, why should the worst possible mental state for a person be used as basis for support of capital punishment? Why not take what I think now, as a rational, unaffected individual?

And your post doesn't address the points made in my previous post.

You're welcome to push this emotional narrative, but you're just exposing your argument's weakness. Hey, since we're already here, how would you feel if your son or daughter was sentenced to death for a crime he or she didn't commit? Let's even pretend it was the crime committed against me in your hypothetical.

Why do you still trust a government institution with the investigation of criminal offense after that revelation?

Why do you still trust a government institution with the investigation of criminal offense after that revelation?

:rolleyes:

You're right. Let's have a society without cops, judges, forensic scientists, et al. Maybe we can just put those who wrong us on an ice float. Just hope nobody points their finger at you.

:rolleyes:

You're right. Let's have a society without cops, judges, forensic scientists, et al. Maybe we can just put those who wrong us on an ice float. Just hope nobody points their finger at you.

The premier law enforcement agency of the United States was caught fabricating evidence leading to the criminal convictions of accused suspects...what if it was you being accused?

The premier law enforcement agency of the United States was caught fabricating evidence leading to the criminal convictions of accused suspects...what if it was you being accused?

Why don't you, instead of pointing out the problems that many people see as obvious, offer some feasible alternatives?

So, the premier LE agency caught fabricating evidence. What's your answer to that? Do we just not have LE agencies from now on?

They blow themselves up not because they like death, but because of their twisted views, etc..

I am sure they wouldn't blow themselves if there was no apparent cause behind it.

Just like any other extremist group they have a set goal in mind and will do anything to achieve it..

For them it's sacrificing oneself for the good of everyone.

in the case of martyrdom it's like a appreciation for them depending on how big the kill is/damage is..

This sort of mentality is common in many non-islamic movements like IRA, Japanese imperial army, etc..

IRA weren't about suicide bombings/martars, Catholics aren't hot on suicide after all.

Why don't you, instead of pointing out the problems that many people see as obvious, offer some feasible alternatives?

So, the premier LE agency caught fabricating evidence. What's your answer to that? Do we just not have LE agencies from now on?

So long as the statist government model on having a monopoly on power persists, nothing will change.

If you are open-minded enough, The Market for Liberty has a solution.

So long as the statist government model on having a monopoly on power persists, nothing will change.

If you are open-minded enough, The Market for Liberty has a solution.

Is this a joke? Weren't you just claiming to school me or something? You continue to struggle to answer simple questions. all you're able to do is ask the same rhetorical questions and post the same silly pictures. There's not

an intelligent thread throughout your posting history.

In my life, I've noticed the only people say "if you're open minded enough" are ones who are about to push something so absurdly moronic one would have to have an empty cranium, not just an open mind.

If you want to be taken seriously, I suggest actually answering my question. Otherwise you're just a joke, but the humour is running out now.

Is this a joke? Weren't you just claiming to school me or something? You continue to struggle to answer simple questions. all you're able to do is ask the same rhetorical questions and post the same silly pictures. There's not

an intelligent thread throughout your posting history.

In my life, I've noticed the only people say "if you're open minded enough" are ones who are about to push something so absurdly moronic one would have to have an empty cranium, not just an open mind.

If you want to be taken seriously, I suggest actually answering my question. Otherwise you're just a joke, but the humour is running out now.

You think that central bank actions of ZIRP and inflating the money supply doesn't lead to price inflation of housing yet kept insisting that overseas buyers are responsible at the expense of locals...once you expressed that thought I realized that you hit a wall that logic cannot resolve.

You think that central bank actions of ZIRP and inflating the money supply doesn't lead to price inflation of housing yet kept insisting that overseas buyers are responsible at the expense of locals...once you expressed that thought I realized that you hit a wall that logic cannot resolve.

That doesn't read like an answer to my question of what to do about LE agencies. :huh:

For the record, not only did you not understand my answer, you're now putting words in my mouth that I never said. I take it you're talking about this post:

No, what's being written off are the three charts that, in unison, are supposed to mean cheap credit increases prices. There is no implication of causation to be taken from the charts. The point you're making may very well be right, but it's not even remotely supported in that post. You're welcome to support your point, so far I don't see anything to make me lean either way.

As you can see (or can't, I'm not sure), I'm not saying you're wrong. What I'm saying is that the evidence provided by you does not support the argument. Correlation does not imply causation, ergo there is no causative link implied by your posting a few charts.

Strange, that in lieu of answering a simple question, one with an answer presumably somewhere in a PDF you linked, you instead choose to bring up something from a completely unrelated thread.

• 1 month later...

Boston (CNN)[breaking news update, posted at 2:23 p.m. ET]

A judge formally sentenced Boston Marathon bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev to death on Wednesday.

"Whenever your name is mentioned, what will be remembered is the evil you did," Judge George O'Toole told him. "What will be remembered is you murdered and maimed innocent people."

Addressing the court during his federal sentencing hearing, Tsarnaev acknowledged Ramadan and expressed gratitude to Allah, asking Allah to help the victims and their families. "If there is any lingering doubt, I did it along with my brother," he said, referring to the bombing. "I ask Allah to have mercy on me, my brother and my family."

Tsarnaev apologized during his federal sentencing hearing. "I would like to now apologize to the victims and the survivors," he said. "I am sorry for the lives that I have taken."

Earlier, families of the victims and survivors made victim impact statements, leaving some jurors in attendance in tears.

150515165434-lead-sot-boston-globe-repor

Dzhokhar Tsarnaev apologizes, says he is guilty 01:52

[Previous story, posted at 2:06 p.m. ET]

It's the day of final reckoning for Boston Marathon bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, a day set aside for emotional victim impact statements and stern words from the judge.

The outcome of Wednesday morning's federal sentencing hearing is a foregone conclusion. Thedecision to impose the death penalty belonged to the jury, so the proceedings are a formality. Few surprises are expected in the hearing that started at 9:30 a.m. ET.

Tsarnaev, a 21-year-old former college student, is the first person to be handed a death sentence in a federal terrorism case since the attacks of September 11, 2001. He and his older brother, Tamerlan, who died while fleeing police, set off two bombs at the finish line of theBoston Marathon on April 15, 2013.

Two women and an 8-year-old boy were killed and more than 260 other people were injured. The blasts left 17 people -- all active, outdoorsy people -- amputees. A fourth person, an MIT police officer, was killed during the hunt for the Tsarnaevs.

Timeline: A look at Tamerlan Tsarnaev's past

The only lingering question is whether Tsarnaev might talk. And if he does, what could he possibly say?

At least for now, the families of the victims, the survivors did all the talking at Wednesday's hearing, leaving some jurors in attendance in tears.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/06/24/us/tsarnaev-boston-marathon-bombing-death-sentencing/index.html

I feel nothing.

I am against the Death Penalty, even for people who commit heinous acts such as this. The fact that he is going to die (likely several years from now) for his actions gives me zero comfort. It won't bring young Martin, or any of the other victims back. It won't give Jeff Bauman his legs back.

I would have preferred that Tsarnaev spend many, many years behind bars. Hopefully, the families of the victims feel differently and gain some comfort from this sentence.

I feel nothing.

I am against the Death Penalty, even for people who commit heinous acts such as this. The fact that he is going to die (likely several years from now) for his actions gives me zero comfort. It won't bring young Martin, or any of the other victims back. It won't give Jeff Bauman his legs back.

I would have preferred that Tsarnaev spend many, many years behind bars. Hopefully, the families of the victims feel differently and gain some comfort from this sentence.

In a way, his brother got off easy.

I used to be against the death penalty - but that was before the likes of Clifford Olsen came around...

Martin Richard, 8 years young, rip, is best known for a school project in which he made a poster with a peace sign and the words "No more hurting people."

Nothing like killing people to demonstrate how killing people is bad.

I don't like the death penalty myself, but I don't see it as a tool for deterrent, that is to teach people what can be done to them if they do something terrible. I see it as a way of discarding someone that is beyond help. Justice should be restorative. Jail should not be a punishment. Neither should we view the death penalty this way.

Archived