The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

was jensen not good enough last preseason?

hateleafs

Never been a fan of Jensen.

I just don't think he has what it takes to be an NHL player on a consistent basis. I expect him to end up in Europe in a couple of years which by all means there is no shame in but sometimes these things don't work out. Like any other Canuck fan I want to see our prospects do well but ever since he was drafted I have never been excited about him.

He has done absolutely nothing that shows any sign of him playing in the NHL. Obviously I hope he proves me wrong but I don't think that is going to happen and I could have told you that when he was drafted as well.

look at sam bennet... perfect example of what it takes to make the nhl

Jensen sucks simple as that

A bit harsh. No player gets to the level he is at and "sucks" compared to most hockey players. He may not be able to make the transition to the NHL but really the ones that do are pretty special players.

I was never a huge fan of Jensen's so please excuse my slight biase but..... I think now it'll be even harder for him to make the Canucks roster. He's a right handed winger, which helps his case but with our prospect pool slowly growing more and more and the competition he has to face on the wing ( Shinkaruk, Virtanen, Baertschi and Conacher) I just can't see him getting a roster spot anytime soon. Even in a re-call situation I see him having to stand in line, but thats just me.

I was never a huge fan of Jensen's so please excuse my slight biase but..... I think now it'll be even harder for him to make the Canucks roster. He's a right handed winger, which helps his case but with our prospect pool slowly growing more and more and the competition he has to face on the wing ( Shinkaruk, Virtanen, Baertschi and Conacher) I just can't see him getting a roster spot anytime soon. Even in a re-call situation I see him having to stand in line, but thats just me.

I'm pretty sure that he's actually a left-hand shot mecomaker54.

For what it's worth, last year near the end of the season (torts) when he played 8-9 games with the team, he didn't look out of place.

I expect him to battle for a roster spot this coming training camp and if sent down, will have a break out season in the AHL topping 40 points. He's still quite young, and being a bigger player it takes some time to come into their own. I don't think he has to focus on being a "solid bottom 6 player" I think he has more than enough offensive chops to play in the T6.

That being said, a line of Baertschi - Horvat - Kassian/Jensen would be pretty sweet imo.

So long as he can shore up his defensive game to the point where he's not a liability, I think we see him on the team come opening night. Or perhaps he's traded as part of a package at the draft, who knows.

I actually thought that Jensen would step into the League last year. Apparently he is having an issue with consistency and attention to detail. He seems to be one of those who thinks that offensive production is enough. He's finding out the hard way that it is not. He needs to do the small things that successful players are willing to do. If he does that, then he has a chance still.

In Iain McIntyre's Q@A with Benning in The Sun,JB conceded that Jensen is not going to be in a top 6 role with the Canucks..He has to learn how to play a bottom 6 role ...

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/hockey/vancouver-canucks/Iain+MacIntyre+Questions+Canucks+Benning/11072968/story.html

Kinda reminds me of the Louis LeBlanc situation in Montreal. Drafted 18th overall (2009). Lots of skill and potential but never able to put it all together. I think the Habs ended up dumping Leblanc for a conditional 5th last summer.

He also said needed to be more like Hansen. Essentially doesn't have a consistent enough offensive talent to play top 6 and so needs to learn to use speed as a bottom six player. Shame that he is looking to peak as a Hansen type player, though looks like not even going to get there.

For what it's worth, last year near the end of the season (torts) when he played 8-9 games with the team, he didn't look out of place.

I expect him to battle for a roster spot this coming training camp and if sent down, will have a break out season in the AHL topping 40 points. He's still quite young, and being a bigger player it takes some time to come into their own. I don't think he has to focus on being a "solid bottom 6 player" I think he has more than enough offensive chops to play in the T6.

That being said, a line of Baertschi - Horvat - Kassian/Jensen would be pretty sweet imo.

So long as he can shore up his defensive game to the point where he's not a liability, I think we see him on the team come opening night. Or perhaps he's traded as part of a package at the draft, who knows.

At the moment, Jensen is having a hard time making the Comets, so I doubt he suddenly jumps onto the Nucks 2nd line next year. JB doesn't see him as a top 6 player, so it looks like he has another year in Utica to prove he can be a more complete player.

Time is running out for Jensen as a Canuck prospect. If he doesn't improve and become more consistent, he will be traded. If he can't be traded, I suspect he goes to Europe to play.

It's really too bad, as it looked like he had so much talent.

He also said needed to be more like Hansen. Essentially doesn't have a consistent enough offensive talent to play top 6 and so needs to learn to use speed as a bottom six player. Shame that he is looking to peak as a Hansen type player, though looks like not even going to get there.

Fans sure underestimate the value of Hansen around here. I would be over the moon if Jensen could step into Hansen's role on the team, but he doesn't have near the skills (other than the speed). He has no grit, no defence and I doubt he would pot 16g in a season either.

Not only was he not good enough last preseason, but every preseason before that.

He was good in his first preseason.

Second preseason he dominated in the youngstars tourney but was underwhelming in main camp. Got hurt in a game against the Oilers.

I honestly dont remember much about his preseason this year.

Jensen reminds me of Naslund early in his career. All the tools are there, but his confidence is lacking.

When he's playing with confidence, he keeps it simple and he's very effective. That's when you see him go on 7 or 8 game goal streaks.

When he's playing without it, he's trying to do too much and be everything to everyone. That's when he's not involved in the play and turning over the puck.

People just need to keep being patient with him. Naslund didn't figure it out until 22 either.

We've been through this for a while now these come the beginning of these last couple seasons. Eventually we're just going to have to take a leap of faith and put this guy on the team and see what he can do. Whether he has something to contribute to the team down the line or he is a bust. Hopefully that time is this upcoming season.

Jensen reminds me of Naslund early in his career. All the tools are there, but his confidence is lacking.

When he's playing with confidence, he keeps it simple and he's very effective. That's when you see him go on 7 or 8 game goal streaks.

When he's playing without it, he's trying to do too much and be everything to everyone. That's when he's not involved in the play and turning over the puck.

People just need to keep being patient with him. Naslund didn't figure it out until 22 either.

Interesting comparison, and a good cautionary tale about not giving up too soon on guys like this. But was it just a matter of confidence with Naslund, or did he actually round out his game a bit too? I don't remember Naslund as a tenacious defensive player but he did get back into his own end, support the D on breakouts, and carried the puck through the neutral zone quite a bit. Short of becoming another Hansen, this is something that Jensen could do to make himself more useful to the team, and more involved in the play, which would probably help him as a would-be scorer as well.

Archived