The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Coveted Blue Jackets draft prospect Mike Reilly to test free agency

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on-hockey/25187789

As has become a more common occurrence of late among NHL prospects, one of the top drafted players in college hockey has decided to test unrestricted free agency instead of signing with the team that currently holds his rights.

Defenseman Mike Reilly, a fourth-round pick by the Columbus Blue Jackets in 2011, has officially left the University of Minnesota, forgoing his senior season. However, instead of signing with the Jackets, Reilly has notified the team he will explore the market as an unrestricted free agent according to Bob McKenzie of TSN.

Reilly is taking advantage of a provision in the collective bargaining agreement that gives NHL teams a window to sign their drafted prospects within a four years. As long as that player remains a college student, the team that drafted him retains his rights. When that player either graduates from college or files the paperwork to leave the university before graduation, that team has 30 days from the date they graduate or leave school to exclusively negotiate with the player.

Reilly's 30-day clock has started according to McKenzie, but having already notified the Blue Jackets hes going the free agent route, it appears the negotiating window is irrelevant. Other teams cannot sign Reilly until August, however.

This situation has popped up on several occasions. Just last year, Kevin Hayes decided not to sign with the Chicago Blackhawks after wrapping up his collegiate career with Boston College. He had several teams interested, but ultimately signed with the New York Rangers, a team that could offer him more immediate playing time.

The players that make these decisions aren't doing it for money. They are still held to the entry-level system, meaning the maximum contract a team can offer these players is the same. No one can outbid anyone else.

So why do something like this? The opportunity to pick where you want to go is awfully attractive. It all comes down to fit. The best fit for Reilly still could be Columbus, but he won't know for sure until he sees what other teams are able to offer in terms of playing time and personal comfort. It's pretty much a sure thing that wherever Reilly ends up, he's getting a max ELC, which was the offer he had on the table from Columbus.

Reilly had a brilliant collegiate career with Minnesota. He notched 89 points from the blue line in 117 career games. As a junior, he put up 42 points in 39 games en route to All-America honors and a top-10 finish in Hobey Baker voting. He also was a top-four defenseman on the U.S. team that won the gold medal at the 2013 World Junior Championship.

Reilly is currently representing the United States at the IIHF World Championship, where he has averaged nearly 17 minutes a game and has played on Team USA's power play. He has one assist in nine games as the U.S. is competing for the bronze medal Sunday alongside frequent D partner Seth Jones of the Nashville Predators.

Oddly enough, Reilly's head coach at the World Championship is Blue Jackets coach Todd Richards. Even though Reilly is probably going to spurn his team, Richards has given the kid serious ice time and an important role ahead of some defensemen that played in the NHL last year. Unfortunately, that extra recruiting time apparently didn't work. Maybe it helps later, though.

The 6-foot-1, 182 pound blueliner is certainly valued more for his offense than his defense. His production in college and junior hockey has been at an elite level for those age groups. He also is a product of Shattuck-St. Mary's, the school that has been a developmental stop for NHLers like Sidney Crosby, Jonathan Toews and Nathan MacKinnon.

With Reilly's availability as a free agent known, it should be expected that he will have substantial interest from teams around the league. At just 21, he still has some development time left and probably needs to get stronger to be a more effective NHL player, but he should be viewed as NHL ready by teams with holes on its defense.

One of the teams that really could use another defenseman is actually Columbus, which is why they're probably still in the mix to sign Reilly, even though he's spurning them for now. Teams rumored to have interest in Reilly include the Blackhawks and Minnesota Wild. Reilly's father, Michael Reilly, holds a minority stake in the Wild's ownership group and the defenseman is a native of Chanhassen, Minnesota. Expect more teams to be thrown into the mix, though.

It should be a competitive field as Reilly explores the market, but we won't know where he's going to end up until August.

Expect a lot of interest in dman Mike Reilly. He's just 21, has great offensive ability, and NHL ready. The chance to get a player of his calibre on an ELC is the best value you can get.

As rumoured, the Hawks and Wild are supposed front runners. Sucks because if true, the rich continue to get richer. Also a possibility he tests the free agent waters but still decides to sign in Columbus. I'm sure Benning will make a pitch but would be surprised if we got serious consideration. Knowing the Canucks past, we usually ending up falling 2nd at the last moment anyways. Would be great if we got him though. Will be interesting seeing what happens. Reilly is last years Hayes.

He's going to Chicago without question. Pretty sure his brothers there no?

On a side note it means his value is in the basement right now. So yes the rights to Reilly are probably available but unless in a package deal he's almost without value

Columbus should have tried to sign him earlier. At least we got our 4th rounder signed.

I can see his right being traded at the draft. I would like to get him but we are kind of full on the back end all ready, and i'm sure he will be looking for NHL playing time right away

amazingly it's entirely possible isnt it?

Unfortunately, yes. Pegula would have a conniption fit about it and other owners would be spooked about their potential future superstars walking. I guarantee that the rule would change at the next CBA negotiation.

Unfortunately, yes. Pegula would have a conniption fit about it and other owners would be spooked about their potential future superstars walking. I guarantee that the rule would change at the next CBA negotiation.

I REALLY hate to ask this because I don't want to come across sounding thsi way

But after Murray all but came out gloating and salivating telling the hockey world that they were getting McDavid and that he was all but intentionally tanking...

Is there a part of you that is a hockey fan, not a Sabres fan; that would think serves you right ya bugger if that were to happen?

Not suggesting it hoping for it or anything but there is a certain amount of karmic justice involved if that were to happen no?

This rule is ridiculous. Columbus spends money sending guys out to watch you play. Then gives your childhood dreams a reality by calling your name on draft day only to have you turn around and say nope not playing for you.

Someone should sign him and bury him in the echl. Make the next entitled a-hole think twice about screwing his team over.

This rule is ridiculous. Columbus spends money sending guys out to watch you play. Then gives your childhood dreams a reality by calling your name on draft day only to have you turn around and say nope not playing for you.

Someone should sign him and bury him in the echl. Make the next entitled a-hole think twice about screwing his team over.

The last few guys who have done this have earned hue pay days and done less than nothing.

See Schultz

I REALLY hate to ask this because I don't want to come across sounding thsi way

But after Murray all but came out gloating and salivating telling the hockey world that they were getting McDavid and that he was all but intentionally tanking...

Is there a part of you that is a hockey fan, not a Sabres fan; that would think serves you right ya bugger if that were to happen?

Not suggesting it hoping for it or anything but there is a certain amount of karmic justice involved if that were to happen no?

It would suck, but after Murray's public sobbing it would be karmic if that were to happen. I think that's one of the reason's why Murray has signed a couple of Eichel's old teammates. Murray realizes that he put everybody in an awkward position. He wants to entice him out of college and into a contract.

Speaking of awkward and/or funny.... http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/jack-eichel-fitted-for-sabres-shirt--awkwardness-ensues--video-164328056.html

It would suck, but after Murray's public sobbing it would be karmic if that were to happen. I think that's one of the reason's why Murray has signed a couple of Eichel's old teammates. Murray realizes that he put everybody in an awkward position. He wants to entice him out of college and into a contract.

Speaking of awkward and/or funny.... http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/jack-eichel-fitted-for-sabres-shirt--awkwardness-ensues--video-164328056.html

Oh wow man.

I've seen a lot of bios and interviews with JE, I don't see him being that type of guy. He seems eager to hit the NHL running.

But yes, Karmic slap to the face indeed. Murray has done a lot of smart things though as you said grabbing his linemates and team mates.

Still, would rock the hockey world for sure

The last few guys who have done this have earned hue pay days and done less than nothing.

See Schultz

I know, it's just brutal that they're allowed to pull this crap. I hope he busts haha

As for Eichel. There's no way he waits 3 years to sign his elc. If he signs now he's making huge money after those 3 years. Wait it out and you're waiting 6 years for the payday

Archived