The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Coveted Blue Jackets draft prospect Mike Reilly to test free agency

As much as i like free prospects I think getting Mike Reilly would be extremely redundant. Hutton, Subban, McNally (i'll include him until he is traded/not signed) Clendening and Reilly. Thats 5 defenceman who are "offensive first" type players I don't think any team has won a cup with 5 offensive defence man, but then again we may be trend setters

As much as i like free prospects I think getting Mike Reilly would be extremely redundant. Hutton, Subban, McNally (i'll include him until he is traded/not signed) Clendening and Reilly. Thats 5 defenceman who are "offensive first" type players I don't think any team has won a cup with 5 offensive defence man, but then again we may be trend setters

However considering that we need more of these offensive style defenceman he'd be a great addition. Reilly shoots left so that puts him in the spots of McNally and Hutton both who are likely 2-4 years off from debuting in the NHL. Reilly theoretically would slot right in and with Bieksa / Hamhuis entering their last year he could take their spot.

Anyways, redundancy is necessary in a prospect pool but in this case he's probably closer to making the NHL

Fortunately it won't happen, but I'm still going to give you the evil face.... :angry:^_^

Teams that tank and fans that embrace it deserve for things like that to happen. Unfortunately it doesnt always work out like that. Hopefully the NHL implements some more rules to prevent tanking from being a viable option.

Your avatar is pretty gross btw

Teams that tank and fans that embrace it deserve for things like that to happen. Unfortunately it doesnt always work out like that. Hopefully the NHL implements some more rules to prevent tanking from being a viable option.

CRY_SOME_MORE_by_Digicaek.png

• 2 weeks later...
UFA D Mike Reilly will meet with approx 8 teams at combine, agent Pat Brisson confirms. Won't say who, but suspect CHI, LA, MIN among them.

I wonder who the other teams are

I would say

Buffalo

Columbus

LA

Minnesota

Chicago

Tampa

Toronto

Sigh while I don't condone "tanking" for any organization, it is still arrogant and disrespectful to chastise an entire fan base. Even more so when some fans here on CDC are begging for the Canucks to do the same kind of thing (maybe to a lesser extent).

Seabrook traded, Chicago signs Reilly, saves $3m in cap space plus gets the assets for Seabrook (1st rounder +). If anything other than this happens I'll be shocked.

Drafting / acquiring prospects is often a crapshoot except at the top of the first round. And even then for whatever reason we have not even drafted a D man in the first round since Bourdon.

We need to try and try again until we land a D man who can dance most guys who try to guard him when he has the puck.

Sigh while I don't condone "tanking" for any organization, it is still arrogant and disrespectful to chastise an entire fan base. Even more so when some fans here on CDC are begging for the Canucks to do the same kind of thing (maybe to a lesser extent).

While i personally do want the Canucks to rebuild, it doesn't necessarily involve "blowing the whole ship up so we can get high draft picks for being sh*t", it's rather getting valuable pieces (draft picks) for players that isn't going to help the team in the foreseeable future, then you keep some veterans that can mentor the youth that's coming in. When you look at Buffalo, they basically traded every single one of their players that was "too good" for peanuts, it wasn't about getting something valuable back, it was rather about getting a really high draft pick in the end (1st overall, worst case scenario 2nd overall). They even traded some of their best players for an injured one, that wasn't going to play for the rest of the year. Looking at Arizona and Edmonton, i don't think they ended up where they were because they wanted to end up there, they were simply bad teams. While i'm not saying that Buffalo was a good team, again, they did everything they could to become even worse. Meanwhile, Arizona got a really good return for Yandle. That's the type of trade you should do if you're truly "rebuilding".

The sight of Tim Murray pisses me off, and i will probably never respect Sabres as an organization after this, sorry. Well at least not as long as he's in control.

But to not go too off-topic, it's really a shame that the Canucks are not in on Reilly, even though i never held my breath. We really lack young defencemen with his offensive upside. Will get pissed off if LA gets him.

• 2 weeks later...

Seabrook traded, Chicago signs Reilly, saves $3m in cap space plus gets the assets for Seabrook (1st rounder +). If anything other than this happens I'll be shocked.

Seabrook for Corrado and a 2017 3rd??

Some folks find RJ's comments 'childish' - I have no problem with his comment personally.

I think he should flip that player the bird in these circumstances. He's had his own differences with CBJ management, but he used this as an opportunity to state his identity/loyalty at the expense of a player who snubbed the team that drafted him in favour of shopping himself to contenders. It's a fairly natural response imo.

It's Reilly's right to shop himself - it's also the CBJ's right to consider him a selfish opportunist.

I think the solution is to balance his (premature?) free agency rights with an amendment the CBA so that teams looking to sign him must compensate the team they're poaching from. I find it odd that the loophole remains open.

Hope this loser busts hard. Also, some have taken exception to RyJo's comment due to him holding out for a better contract last season. However, iirc, he was never planning on leaving Columbus. I appreciate that tweet.

Archived