The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

First a Pizzeria, then a Baker, now a Jeweller except ...

Neversummer

Good idea. You weren't building a convincing, or even a coherent argument.

I can agree with your bottom line, but not the rest of the post.

The wrecking of the livelihood is due to the owner publicizing his beliefs, and not due to the couple aiding him in spreading his message by calling CBC. How do you not grasp this? If he didn't put up that stupid sign, none of this would have happened.

So...a gay pride parade is not publicizing their beliefs?

The sign isn't stupid.

Consumers can shop where ever they want - if you don't like a sign a business has - go somewhere else - that's your prerogative.

Yes, you are refusing to see the other side, your true colours are shining through - and it has absolutely nothing to do with this thread - other than the irony.

So...a gay pride parade is not publicizing their beliefs?

The sign isn't stupid.

Consumers can shop where ever they want - if you don't like a sign a business has - go somewhere else - that's your prerogative.

Yes, you are refusing to see the other side, your true colours are shining through - and it has absolutely nothing to do with this thread - other than the irony.

What the hell are you talking about?

The issue isn't publicizing one's beliefs, anyone can do it. The issue is blaming the gay couple for the fallout. Like I said at least a dozen times in this thread - NOBODY IS BEING PREVENTED FROM DOING ANYTHING.

Of course gay pride parades publicize their beliefs, and you know what? If one were to be held in Mississippi, and someone was taking part with a sign "Shop at Gay Jewelers-r-Us", I wouldn't be surprised if their business went down, due to the anti-gay environment there. The public can make up its own collective mind.

I'm not refusing to see the other side. The issue is, either you two are incapable of actually articulating a point that makes sense, or I'm right. Either way, the failure is not mine.

As for my "true colors", I don't think I've ever tried to hide them.

And as for the sign, it is stupid. It is driving away business by being displayed.

Why is this even a thing? It is so trivial and non relevant to the real issues in the world today. So two lesbians didn't like something they saw in a heterosexuals store after they ordered some product from him. Sounds like the perfect basis to be mad and try to get a refund.

Maybe they are rip off artists.

Good for them.

He's letting his views known with that sign, now they're letting their views known by exposing him. The jeweler decided to go public, correct? So he has to live with what ever comes his way now. It doesn't matter if they get a refund or not. This guy wanted his religous views known, well, you got it buddy. Everyone knows now, lol

Exactly this. Regardless of his views he chose to express them. In this day and age of social media you have to tread very lightly on huge issues like this.

That being said asking for a refund based on the shop keeps political/religious views is quite pathetic.

That is like me waltzing into Sony buying a PS4 and finding out a week later the guy supports the PC party and i ask for a refund. The PC party is one of the most offensive things to me but I cannot demand a refund because I do not share the shop owners view.

Exactly this. Regardless of his views he chose to express them. In this day and age of social media you have to tread very lightly on huge issues like this.

That being said asking for a refund based on the shop keeps political/religious views is quite pathetic.

That is like me waltzing into Sony buying a PS4 and finding out a week later the guy supports the PC party and i ask for a refund. The PC party is one of the most offensive things to me but I cannot demand a refund because I do not share the shop owners view.

I have to agree. If the shop owner didn't care if you were gay and supplied you with your items shouldn't you pay for services rendered and not care that he is heterosexual.

Did you miss the thread? It's about EQUALITY! If you can't be pro-gay and face backlash, it's not equality for an anti-gay person to face it!

Sorry, I guess I'm taking out frustration in this reply. :angry:

By the way, you can request a refund (but you can't demand one, you're not entitled to one), but the owner can refuse. There's no harm in trying, is there?

Did you miss the thread? It's about EQUALITY! If you can't be pro-gay and face backlash, it's not equality for an anti-gay person to face it!

Sorry, I guess I'm taking out frustration in this reply. :angry:

By the way, you can request a refund (but you can't demand one, you're not entitled to one), but the owner can refuse. There's no harm in trying, is there?

Your concept of equality is so twisted it is laughable

If the jewler made the rings and provided them a service, regardless of his personal beliefs, then there is no reason to get a refund.

His views may be outdated and without any real merit or facts.......but he didn't refuse service because of those beliefs.

I'm on the jeweler's side. Nothing on that sign suggested he was anti-gay marriage, and he provided service despite what that sign says. I don't see a reason for the couple to get a refund.

To me, that is like asking for a refund on everything you buy because there is no harm in trying.

Looking at most people's comments towards you, it appears not many do in here.

I'll get over it.

To me, that is like asking for a refund on everything you buy because there is no harm in trying.

Why would you ask for a refund on everything? Do you never buy stuff you actually want to keep? Asking for a refund doesn't make them good people, but it sure as hell doesn't make them bad.

Why would you ask for a refund on everything? Do you never buy stuff you actually want to keep? Asking for a refund doesn't make them good people, but it sure as hell doesn't make them bad.

No, but it is a bit... weird...

Archived