The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Russians to face disciplinary action from anthem snub

-AJ-

*note - not sure if this deserved it's own thread, but I thought it might generate enough discussion on it's own to merit one. If not, feel free to merge.

http://thechronicleherald.ca/sports/1287523-russians-under-fire-for-leaving-ice-before-o-canada-at-worlds

IIHF ponders sanctions after gold medal game anthem snub

B97458374Z.120150518145433000GFN9JGTK.21

PRAGUE, Czech Republic — Russia’s hockey team may end up paying for its Canadian anthem snub.

Russian news agency TASS reported the Russian team is facing sanctions after players left the ice before O Canada. The Canadians crushed Russia 6-1 in Sunday’s gold-medal game, and most of the Russians quickly departed for the dressing room, a breach of the sport’s etiquette.

“Once we arrive back home after the world championships we will look into this question and we will get in touch with those in charge at the Russian Ice Hockey Federation,” IIHF president Rene Fasel said in the statement to TASS.

“The IIHF has its own protocol and some sort of punishment will be handed down.”

According to TASS, Alexander Ovechkin, Yevgeny Malkin, Viktor Tikhonov and Dmitry Kulikov were among the few players who remained on the ice for the anthem.

Russia’s general manager Andrey Safronov called the incident “a shame.”

“Nothing forced our team to leave the ice and it was simply an organizational mistake and it was our mistake and not the one of the organizers,” Safronov told TASS.

“We are feeling very ashamed and uncomfortable now and on the behalf of the national team I bow to the Canadians,” Safronov said. “I am lost for words and can say only that there was nothing of a premeditated nature in the incident.”

Canada’s victory was its first at the world tournament since 2007.

Personally, this only irks me a little bit. That said, it's good to see that some of the more renowned NHL Russians had the respect to stay while the rest of their team left.

It's understandable. You've just been embarrassed in the GMG, you want to get off the ice and collect your thoughts without the constant drum of your opponent's anthem bragging in your head. It may not have been the "correct" thing to do, but it's certainly understandable.

Seemed like an honest mix up. Cant blame them for skating away with their heads down. After ripping the US for 4 in the 3rd I bet they thought it was gonna be a barn burner against us. NOOOOOOOOOOT !!!!!!

The Russian GM humbly apologized on behalf of the team. Case closed as far as i am concerned.

“We are feeling very ashamed and uncomfortable now and on the behalf of the national team I bow to the Canadians,” Safronov said.

While he's already down there maybe he can truly show Canada how bad he feels... :bigblush:

**I wonder how many people will actually get the joke.

They didn't stay either, watch the video. They stayed longer than the others.

http://www.tsn.ca/russians-could-be-sanctioned-for-snub-1.285765

Ah yes. This shows the truth, but it also shows how pointlessly long the ceremonies are. Any way to shorten this or make it so that the losers don't have to watch the winners enjoy just about everything?

It's understandable. You've just been embarrassed in the GMG, you want to get off the ice and collect your thoughts without the constant drum of your opponent's anthem bragging in your head. It may not have been the "correct" thing to do, but it's certainly understandable.

It was classless, you dont see that on the podium at the Olympics or other world sporting events. In recent history at the WJC and IIHF events the Russians have gloated in front of our bench when they won, we acted like men and took our poison and stayed on the ice for the anthems. The Russians acted spoiled school yard kids who lost and took their ball and went crying home to mommie.

While he's already down there maybe he can truly show Canada how bad he feels... :bigblush:

**I wonder how many people will actually get the joke.

Yeah, stay down there and shine our shoes.

**I actually do get the joke, you silly goose.

Ah yes. This shows the truth, but it also shows how pointlessly long the ceremonies are. Any way to shorten this or make it so that the losers don't have to watch the winners enjoy just about everything?

They should get right to the presentation before commencing with the stick in the air deal that the Russians engaged in. Seems they took it upon themselves to have their moment/crowdfest but perhaps make them wait and do their thing after the official award presentation. The Canadians respectfully stood by and applauded (for) that, doesn't seem right that the Russians did their thing and split. Honest mix up my ass...these guys know the drill by now (or should). Poor losers and sportsmanship is part of the deal.

Archived