The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

cdcpuck 2015

Drewismyname

Taking out hits and fights is a bad idea imo - just because you personally don't like the idea doesn't mean the players in real life don't like it...

Hit's shouldn't be worth as much as goals obviously, but are still very valuable in a real game

I would like to thank Buddhas Hand and Mike Vanderhoek for accepting Assistant Commissioner roles. I am extremely happy to have such knowledgeable guys running the league with me.

This is the tentative scoring structure. It is up for discussion so please review it and post your opinions. It is tough to change the scoring without throwing the resulting values of players out of whack so keep that in mind if we cannot grant your requests.

Skaters

+/- .75

A 4

Blk .75

Fight 3

G 5

GWG 1

Hit .5

Hat Trick 3

OT Goal 2

SH Point 1

Goalies

A 4

OT Loss 5

Shutout 5

Win 10

I'm not a fan of hat trick points, since I think it's better to have goals spread out then all in one game, but I can live with it if everyone wants it. I'd prefer powerplay points instead.

If my opinion means anything, goals and assist should more for defence.

Definitely this. We need a way for defence to keep pace with forwards.

This.

Also, I'd make:

- Goalie assists = 6pts (much rarer, therefore should be worth more than skaters)

- Goalie goals = 20pts (very rare indeed, 99pts in other leagues is way too much but they should be given credit)

- Take out hits completely

- +/- should be 0.5 pts per +

- 2pts for a GWG, rewarding clutch performers

- take out fights completely, as the NHL should do. I'm not having fighters on my team out of principle and I don't think we should be rewarding them at all

- 1pt for an OT assist maybe?

Under the current rules, I took the Hart Trophy winner (Jamie Benn) and the winningest goalie (Carey Price)

Now those are the three extremes - best scorer, best goalie and best pest - for me, Orpik gets too many points under the current system. I'd rather take out hits completely and just have blocks.

I'm in agreement with all of this. One of the biggest factors IMO is having things spread out accordingly. Top F/D/G's should all be worth around the same. Guys like Orpik and other pests should have value, but shouldn't come anywhere close to the top scoring forwards or defence.

Ok guys so there are a few changes we agreed with an unfortunately there were a few i couldn't do for a number of reasons.

Powerplay points are easier than five on five to get. Yes, they show that the player was rewarded but its not like we are chosing these players to be on the pp. I can't justify rewarding pp points as its easier to score on the powerplay. I am all for rewarding short handed points.

The +\- has been lowered. Ot point is +1 for any point not just a goaI. I tried implementing higher scoring for d men but it basically made d ridiculously overpowered. I think i have answered most of the requests that can be done without overpowering any one position.

As far as hits go i think the majority likes hits being rewarded. I might lower them to .25 but still have to do some tweaking.

Skaters

+/- .5

A 4

Blk .75

Fight 3

G 5

GWG 2

Hit .5

Hat Trick 3

OT Point 2

SH Point 1

Goalies

A 4

OT Loss 5

Shutout 5

Win 10

Ok guys so there are a few changes we agreed with an unfortunately there were a few i couldn't do for a number of reasons.

Powerplay points are easier than five on five to get. Yes, they show that the player was rewarded but its not like we are chosing these players to be on the pp. I can't justify rewarding pp points as its easier to score on the powerplay. I am all for rewarding short handed points.

The +\- and hits have been lowered. Ot point is +2. I tried implementing higher scoring for d men but it basically made d ridiculously overpowered. I think i have answered most of the requests that can be done without overpowering any one position.

Skaters

+/- .5

A 4

Blk .75

Fight 3

G 5

GWG 2

Hit .5

Hat Trick 3

OT Point 2

SH Point 1

Goalies

A 4

OT Loss 5

Shutout 5

Win 10

What about making defensman scoring points more valuable? It's a lot harder to score as a defender

What about making defensman scoring points more valuable? It's a lot harder to score as a defender

Third paragraph.

Ill elaborate a bit more. The blocks and hits seem to have added enough that if i have d men scoring higher the top two pages are basically all d men. The primary job of a defenseman is defense (go figure). Makes sense that theyd get their points from more than scoring.

Third paragraph.

Ill elaborate a bit more. The blocks and hits seem to have added enough that if i have d men scoring higher the top two pages are basically all d men. The primary job of a defenseman is defense (go figure). Makes sense that theyd get their points from more than scoring.

Yes but you can't win a Cup without having scoring from you defeseman. I sure a lot of GM's agree. Even if it's two more points per goal and assist.

The +\- has been lowered. Ot point is +1 for any point not just a goaI. I tried implementing higher scoring for d men but it basically made d ridiculously overpowered. I think i have answered most of the requests that can be done without overpowering any one position.

As far as hits go i think the majority likes hits being rewarded. I might lower them to .25 but still have to do some tweaking.

Skaters

+/- .5

A 4

Blk .75

Fight 3

G 5

GWG 2

Hit .5

Hat Trick 3

OT Point 2

SH Point 1

Goalies

A 4

OT Loss 5

Shutout 5

Win 10

Why do shutouts and OT losses give the same amount of points?

So far I've looked at the 1st, 31st and 61st D men in scoring this season, using the proposed scoring structure (ie no increase in D scoring points):

Erik Karlsson = 434.75

Trevor Daley = 300.25

Jared Spurgeon = 249.5

Next I'll look at the 1st, 31st and 61st in hits, then +/-.

1st, 31st and 61st in hits then:

Brooks Orpik = 398.5

Shea Weber = 427.25

Rasmus Ristolainen = 258.5

I like how close Spurgeon and Ristolainen are - different skill sets, equally important to a D core - but Orpik is vastly overpowered, he shouldn't be worth that many points compared to the Norris contenders Karlsson and Weber.

Up next, best players in overall +/- this season.

Finally, 1st, 31st and 61st in overall +/- this season:

Jason Garrison = 249.5

Torey Krug = 288

Chris Tanev = 242.5

I have all the calculations saved if anyone wants to see the breakdowns, but for me, the following are the key points:

- Hits and Blocks make a huge difference to the scoring. Karlsson has c.1/4 of his points from H+B, Spurgeon nearly 1/2, Orpik 2/3.

- There are so few GWGs amongst these 9 players (13) that I think GWGs for D could be increased (maybe 3pts, so not too much?)

- SHP are rarer than OTP and I think they should be reversed (OTP = 1, SHP = 2). Only 3 SHP across the 9 players but 11 OTP. OTP are much easier to score.

- With blocks scoring .75 each, we value 20 blocks the same as three goals. For me, D men are there to block, not to score, and so we should either decrease block values, or increase D scoring for G+A.

- Either that, or introduce PPP, as most shot blocking kings don't get tons of PP time.

- Giving +/- for each game, but not deducting for negative games, means that someone like Jason Garrison - uber consistent, league leader in D for +/- this season - actually gets less points than Erik Karlsson, inconsistent and streaky. I think +/- should be more valued, in the sense that - games would see a loss of 0.5 per -.

Just some initial thoughts :)

Finally, 1st, 31st and 61st in overall +/- this season:

Jason Garrison = 249.5

Torey Krug = 288

Chris Tanev = 242.5

I have all the calculations saved if anyone wants to see the breakdowns, but for me, the following are the key points:

- Hits and Blocks make a huge difference to the scoring. Karlsson has c.1/4 of his points from H+B, Spurgeon nearly 1/2, Orpik 2/3.

- There are so few GWGs amongst these 9 players (13) that I think GWGs for D could be increased (maybe 3pts, so not too much?)

- SHP are rarer than OTP and I think they should be reversed (OTP = 1, SHP = 2). Only 3 SHP across the 9 players but 11 OTP. OTP are much easier to score.

- With blocks scoring .75 each, we value 20 blocks the same as three goals. For me, D men are there to block, not to score, and so we should either decrease block values, or increase D scoring for G+A.

- Either that, or introduce PPP, as most shot blocking kings don't get tons of PP time.

- Giving +/- for each game, but not deducting for negative games, means that someone like Jason Garrison - uber consistent, league leader in D for +/- this season - actually gets less points than Erik Karlsson, inconsistent and streaky. I think +/- should be more valued, in the sense that - games would see a loss of 0.5 per -.

Just some initial thoughts :)

All good points. I will try punching these sugggestions in when i get home. I agree with most of your points.

Unfortunately if i increase d scoring it sends the whole system out of whack. The top forty players will be 90% d

Archived