The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

On Victoria Day, Think About Ending the Monarchy in Canada

That article was written by someone who grew up in the internet age for sure. In 1867 there were no instant global communications so there was no way for someone in britain to know what canada did. So his faux outrage generation kinda sux.

That article was written by someone who grew up in the internet age for sure. In 1867 there were no instant global communications so there was no way for someone in britain to know what canada did. So his faux outrage generation kinda sux.

This generation is better than the last who still prefers to cling onto old ways.

Strange, I thought the article was a lot longer than the quip about 1867.

But you're right, not like there's any planning involved into something like forming a new country. I'm sure the Queen had no idea what was going on in her colonies.

Who cares? The British inhabitated, settled and developed this nation, and eliminating the historical ties would make us a less interesting country. Personally, I enjoy having the monarchy because it is unique. They literally have no power over us, and it separates us- in terms of culture, from the states.

Monarchy is a symbol of our past, and its part of Canadian DNA.

What im trying to say is we should respect our heritage, and respect where (majority) of us came from. Without Britain there would be no Great Nation known as Canada :)

Slavery is also part of the American heritage. Did they make a mistake by getting rid of it?

If you want your holidays, we can keep them by renaming them all. No problem.

So we save what? $5 million bucks or so getting rid of the Governor-General and Lieutenant-Generals across Canada.

It would also mean an admendment to our constitution, basically declaring Canada as a republic and possibly meaning we need to rewrite parts of the Constitution. If it was anyone but our existing Government, I'd be ok. But knowing Harper he'd rewrite the Constitution eliminating what rights we have.

This is no joke. Our rights and freedoms are diminishing at an alarming rate.

"Just fewer than four in 10 favour abolishing monarchy in Canada upon the death of the Queen," Forum Research says in a release Monday, based on the poll of nearly 1,300 Canadians.
Fifty-four per cent of the 1,286 polled don't want to see Charles on the throne after his mother dies.
While about 45 per cent of those polled were against distancing the nation from its royal roots, men (44 per cent), the rich (46 per cent of those earning $80 to $100,000 annually), Quebecers (71 per cent),NDPers (49 per cent), francophones (72 per cent) and moms with kids under age 18 (46 per cent) think severing those ties is just what Canada needs.
About 16 per cent of respondents didn't have an opinion either way, Forum Research said.

Well, just like religion, social conservatism, and more right wing economic policies, monarchy seems to be on a decline in Canada.

Anyone else wonder if there's a similarly negative correlation between intellect and opposition to monarchy, as there is between intellect and religion and conservatism? Wouldn't surprise me one bit.

Well, just like religion, social conservatism, and more right wing economic policies, monarchy seems to be on a decline in Canada.

Anyone else wonder if there's a similarly negative correlation between intellect and opposition to monarchy, as there is between intellect and religion and conservatism? Wouldn't surprise me one bit.

Yes. Except I would replace intellect with education attainment.

Archived