The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

On Victoria Day, Think About Ending the Monarchy in Canada

I like the fact that we're a part of the Common Wealth - the "Monarchy" isn't really anything meaningful to us in Canada except as a tradition and a part of our history. And a lot of our history that is very meaningful (to be at least), we were still a part of GBR... 1812, WWII... One of the biggest downsides to being an avid history buff, is the fact that Canada, as a young nation has so little history compared to a lot of other places, so I view what we do have as something special... and when we gained independency, that was just awesome... Anyways, drunk rant over

Didn't realize dropping the monarchy would erase hundreds of years of history. Also, I just learned that our monarchy is what separates us culturally from the US.

No, but it removes us further from our roots. Imagine seeing Harper on the back of a coin. No Thanks.

Who cares? I care. I care that we're wasting 50-60 million every year on the monarchy. I care that my head of state is a foreigner living thousands of miles away. I care that we preserve, even symbolically, an institution that, at its very core, is based on royal supremacy in the eyes of god.

50-60 mil? proof?

Hyperbole like "part of Canadian DNA" doesn't serve to support your stance.

What im saying is that Britain helped build this nation, their DNA runs through the foundation of Canada. Im not saying "every canadian has british blood" but rather it was Britain who conceived this nation.

What I'm trying to say is we should respect our heritage, but we shouldn't let our heritage dictate our future.

And it doesn't. It is just a reminder of the heritage of our founders.

Anyways, there is SOOOOO many useless things happening in the gov't that id rather see gone. The Monarch is the least of my worries.

Now I would love to sit and debate about this, but rambling on about this on CDC is about as useless as the Senate.

I like the fact that we're a part of the Common Wealth - the "Monarchy" isn't really anything meaningful to us in Canada except as a tradition and a part of our history. And a lot of our history that is very meaningful (to be at least), we were still a part of GBR... 1812, WWII... One of the biggest downsides to being an avid history buff, is the fact that Canada, as a young nation has so little history compared to a lot of other places, so I view what we do have as something special... and when we gained independency, that was just awesome... Anyways, drunk rant over

Exactly my point! Thank you, +1

Exactly my point! Thank you, +1

And +1 to you sir... it's true that when it comes to actual valid problems that we should really be dealing with... the Monarchy isn't even on the list.

This is nothing more then a talking point... I almsot think (if I was a conspiracy nut) that the whole "get ride of the common wealth" movement would be a Harper propaganda idea to deflect away from what our real problems are

"Any change in the office of the Queen, the governor general and the lieutenant governor of a province requires consent of Canada's 10 provinces and the federal Parliament. Consider the political struggle involved in getting such a constitutional consensus." < total political fear mongering here lool

The number one reason to get rid of the monarchy right in the article imho. A unanimous appointment would be the best solution would it not ? Put a time limit on the process so it cannot drag out for eons and get er done.

No one would bitch and say well that does not represent our interests.

Further down I read this

"But the head of state has one important power: to protect the integrity of the parliamentary system. This is true of all parliamentary systems whether they are republican or monarchical. There has to be a person who is not a player in partisan parliamentary politics to ensure that the principles of parliamentary government are observed."

How can the head of state not be part of the partisan parliamentary politics ? What I mean how could they not support one particular agenda ? A committee style system is what truly embodies democracy.

To bad that has not and never will be the case. Even 10 year olds understand group dynamics. Politics is nothing but a popularity contest with hidden agendas and back door deals to get their interests to the front of the line.

Pretty much the meat and potatoes system I see as a corrupt government. As I have said many times, if Canadians think we live in a true democracy then we are Royally screwed.

"It would be irresponsible to inflict a constitutional maelstrom on the country in order to fix something that isn't broken." .......not broken ? When a donkey has sweeping powers to change laws that affect each and every one of us in a negative way I would totally disagree. Also more political fear mongering.

Seems like the author is suggesting Canadians could not handle a constitutional debate ?

&nbsp;

Seems like the author is suggesting Canadians could not handle a constitutional debate ?

&nbsp;

Uhhh... yeah... do you know anything about our history? Canadians DEFINITELY, 100%, reservedably, without a doubt, categoricall... (I'm running out of words now...) can NOT handle a constitutioal debate...

seriously

the ruling class of people on earth should be stripped of their property and wealth and made to suffer like the poor people around the world instead of being helicopter pilots and spoiled lil brats that do nothing to help anyone except the filthy corporations they own

:picard:

the ruling class of people on earth should be stripped of their property and wealth and made to suffer like the poor people around the world instead of being helicopter pilots and spoiled lil brats that do nothing to help anyone except the filthy corporations they own

yeah! :towel:

those bastards thinking they´re better than anybody just because they can take-off and land vertically while the rest of us need at least 1000 meters to take-off/land!

just because these bastards can hover above my house for 1 hour at 100ft with their fancy smanxy Bell Jet Ranger without punishment because they can tell to the ATC they´re "just holding for traffic"...

damm chopters! :P

Yes meaningful history. Funny you mentioned war histories, like how Britain sent us to Dieppe to "test" Hitler's fortress and we got our asses kicked. How Britain sent us to Hong Kong ahead of our weapons to protect her colony and we got our asses kicked. How we won Vimy Ridge when the British couldn't. How we took Juno Beach and freeing Belgium and the Netherlands on our own despite being a small population country.

Yes we are full of history. Getting rid of the monarchy, a symbol of colonialism, inherit inequality/birthright and stands for everything un-Canadian, will add to our history, making it better.

&nbsp; &nbsp;

Uhhh... yeah... do you know anything about our history? Canadians DEFINITELY, 100%, reservedably, without a doubt, categoricall... (I'm running out of words now...) can NOT handle a constitutioal debate...

seriously

You are gonna let paperwork get in the way of doing what's right?

This is a Commonwealth Country. All the ethnic people who have no respect for our heritage may not like it, or want to participate in our culture, but that wont change the fabric of our nation.

Try to shove more rhetoric into two lines?

So (at least) 4 out of 10 people in Canada are 'ethnic'? No. Lots of anglo-saxon heritaged Canadians are also in favour of abolishing the monarchy. Also, lots of 'ethnic' people are in favour of monarchy. They love their 'British subject' heritage, common wealth status and this 'fabric' of our nation.

What's "right"?

Getting rid of the monarchy, a symbol of colonialism and inherit birthright.

Archived