The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Todd McLellan to coach Oilers

Flipping off the crowd in Montreal for starters.

That happened 4 years ago.

I remembered him coming with a lame excuse as to why he did it, before finally admitting that he was inappropriate.

While you're talking about that, he's close friends with a kid that he met in Boston. The kid has some kind of illness but the fact that Ference had always been keeping in touch with him made the kid really happy. I saw the story.

That story happened last year.

People do stupid things but Ference isn't quite the 'piece of trash' of a person that some other people in the league may be, i.e. Matt Cooke.

That happened 4 years ago.

I remembered him coming with a lame excuse as to why he did it, before finally admitting that he was inappropriate.

While you're talking about that, he's close friends with a kid that he met in Boston. The kid has some kind of illness but the fact that Ference had always been keeping in touch with him made the kid really happy. I saw the story.

That story happened last year.

People do stupid things but Ference isn't quite the 'piece of trash' of a person that some other people in the league may be, i.e. Matt Cooke.

So because other people are worse someone can't be bad?

So because other people are worse someone can't be bad?

I'm not condoning what he did. As I said, the lack of remorse afterward (i.e. making excuses for it) didn't look good on him. That being said, it did happen 4 years ago and he did (eventually) admit that he was wrong, perhaps due to pressure. He was fined for the incident.

Don't get it twisted.

It was ONE incident and it happened four years ago. Meanwhile, Matt Cooke was/is a repeat offender.

What bait. I seriously just lost some respect for Scotty Bowman. True story.

9 Stanley cup rings for Scotty and 2 for Stan has to be some sort of record. In fact, after Stan's career, there would be nothing left to do but train someone to take over after retirement....like your son? True story...still not completely written.

Stan Bowman:

He is named after the Stanley Cup; his father won his first Stanley Cup, as coach of the Montreal Canadiens, just one month before Stan's birth.[7]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stan_Bowman

Stan Bowman cannot remember the last Montreal-Chicago Stanley Cup final, although he has been made aware that his birth certificate has something to do with it. Stan’s mother, Suella, was quite pregnant with him in June of 1973 when the Blackhawks, despite having lost Bobby Hull to the Winnipeg Jets of the World Hockey Association, went all the way to the big dance. Stan’s dad, Scotty, was coaching the Canadiens.

“I remember being told,” Stan said, “that if Montreal won the Cup, I would be named for it.”

The Canadiens, indeed, won the Stanley Cup, 4 games to 2.

http://blackhawks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=529135&navid=DL%7CCHI%7Chome

11 cups in the family, and this year is not over yet. Have some respect.

Really, the Oil have been after Mclellan for weeks now, at least according to the Edmonton media. The team has finally made a number of smart moves over the past few months that may pay off in the relative short term. In some respects it reminds me of the changes in Vancouver one year ago.

The Oilers are still in need of a quality goaltender and defensemen. They expect to be a better team next season and much more competitive in the western conference.

i see a deal with the canucks in the making.. maybe to get the oilers second number one pic...i could actually see hammer going there after playing with team canada...

9 Stanley cup rings for Scotty and 2 for Stan has to be some sort of record. In fact, after Stan's career, there would be nothing left to do but train someone to take over after retirement....like your son? True story...still not completely written.

Stan Bowman:

He is named after the Stanley Cup; his father won his first Stanley Cup, as coach of the Montreal Canadiens, just one month before Stan's birth.[7]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stan_Bowman

http://blackhawks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=529135&navid=DL%7CCHI%7Chome

11 cups in the family, and this year is not over yet. Have some respect.

Believe it or not, Scotty Bowman's name appears on the Stanley Cup 13 times. 9 times as a coach, and 4 times as team management.

Good move for the Oil, as they will be shooting from all angles... But they still need that good first pass out of the defensive zone, and guys that can stop a puck. They will improve, but I'm not yet convinced they will be playoff bound until they fix the defensemen issues.

They've fixed one monster problem they've had for years - got a true NHL-worthy coach. It's hard to tell if McLellan is really very good because he's had a star-studded Sharks team to play with these last few seasons, so we'll see how good he really is now.

First they fixed their upper management problem, now they get a decent head coach, next they'll draft a generational star so all the pieces are falling into place. All they really have to do next is trade some pieces for a much sturdier defence and maybe get an NHL goaltender.

I'm not a fan a huge fan of the former Boston management other than Neely, TBH. (Who was indeed the one to stick.)

But, anyone is an upgrade over what they had and Chiarelli will give them some growth.

I'm a big fan of Mclellan though, helluva coach.

Oilers are gonna be better. Calgarys gonna be better, SJ gonna be worse, Canucks gonna be worse La will be better and so will anahiem. arizona could be either one I don't know.

I don't think we are gonna make playoffs next year because of how things are probably gonna look next year but I just really hope this team can try to get as many draft picks and young players as we can start to tear apart this old core who can't get it done.

Why are we going to be worse? If anything, we'll be the same as this year, at least.

McLellan will get a lot more out of that roster than the mediocre guys that preceded him, mark my words.

The potential for Edmonton to be a juggernaut in this league is overwhelming at this point.

I think it's laughable that people are so worried about the goaltending and defense....for one I think a real coach gets better performance out of their lineup, the defense in Edmonton is bound to improve whether they make changes or not. They were last place in goals allowed last season, their roster should be better than that.

Archived