The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

benning needs to unload vets (proposal) max values

our vets stank in last 3 playoff series higgins, hansen and all secondary scoring vanishes plays soft team doesnt hit except for sbisa, kenins and bieska.

miller signed 2 yrs six mill per trade at draft plus jensen for a 2nd and 3rd rounder to sharks retain 1mill cap

cheaper option in lack/markstrom combo cap with both is like 2.5 mill lack proved by making playoffs that he can be a number one.

hamhuis stock went up for team canada he could get a first and decent prospect clears 4.5 mill cap

vrbata most valuable forward could get us a mid first rounder and b prospect clears 5m

higgins and hansen can both get us late 2nd round picks frees 5m

clears 19 mill cap space gets us 2 first rounders 3 second rounders

trade one first a second and bonino for couturier

sedin sedin shinkaruk

virtanen couturier baertchi

kenins horvat kassian

dorsett cassels burrows

edler tanev

hutton corrado

clendenning bieska

sbisa stanton

lack

markstrom

young fast team i think wed run over teams with speed

yep shinkaruk is ready sign bosang call up subban we really don't need Higgins burrows trade them for 2nds trade miller to sj for hertl trade sedins for mcdavid trade miller for ovechkin trade sbisa

Hertl-mcdavid-ovexhkin

Shinkaruk-horvat-virtanen

Kenins-bonino-dorsett

Tanev-subban

Edler-bisang

Stanton-corrado

Lack

Agree with you the team needs to find ways to purge players who have exceeded their best before date. That being said I think you over-value some of our current assets in the trade market.

It still would be interesting to see how a team with half a dozen rookies would compete in the todays NHL.

One thing I do not want to see happen is Willie playing veterans ahead of proven prospects just because he is old school.

they won't unload these guys until the young guns can prove that they can play in the nhl...why is that so hard for people to understand....rush a young guy and ruin his confidence...i can see baerschi and maybe even gaunce grabbing matthias and richardson's spots but the rest won't be known till training camp and maybe even beyond that...shinkaruk and jensen haven't

played that well in the minors so far and virtanen, mccann, cassels or even kenins have really proved that they can play at this level yet....hansen, burrows and higgins are very good defensive players...and if your only judging their worth to this team by the goals they score, then your missing what they really bring to this team....can any of the young guns bring strong defensive play to the canucks?...i don't know...willie and his coaches will figure that out...

What we need is to add secondary scoring. Unloading vets is one thing, relying on bottom 6 forwards to play top 6 minutes is another thing altogether. I agree we need to focus on youth, but only if they are top 6 scoring youth, otherwise what's the point.

What we need is to add secondary scoring. Unloading vets is one thing, relying on bottom 6 forwards to play top 6 minutes is another thing altogether. I agree we need to focus on youth, but only if they are top 6 scoring youth, otherwise what's the point.

definitively this.

unload Miller asap and sign a 6M top forward. (eberle would be perfect on a line with Vrbata and Horvat)

they won't unload these guys until the young guns can prove that they can play in the nhl...why is that so hard for people to understand....rush a young guy and ruin his confidence...i can see baerschi and maybe even gaunce grabbing matthias and richardson's spots but the rest won't be known till training camp and maybe even beyond that...shinkaruk and jensen haven't

played that well in the minors so far and virtanen, mccann, cassels or even kenins have really proved that they can play at this level yet....hansen, burrows and higgins are very good defensive players...and if your only judging their worth to this team by the goals they score, then your missing what they really bring to this team....can any of the young guns bring strong defensive play to the canucks?...i don't know...willie and his coaches will figure that out...

Higgins is a "good" offensive player when he decides to show up, which is really only half the season. Trading him away should be a given.

... :mellow:

Wow.

But, you know what? I'll play along. Assuming all the deals you listed go through, let's improve on your lineup.

Miller, Jensen, Hamhuis, Vrbata, Higgins, Hansen and Bonino gone. Couturier in. No mention of players being re-signed or not (i.e. Richardson, Matthias and Weber).

Sedin Sedin Kassian

Baertschi Couturier Burrows

Kenins Horvat Virtanen

Matthias Richardson Dorsett

Vey

Edler Tanev

Sbisa Clendening

Stanton Bieksa

Corrado Weber

Lack

Markstrom

I really doubt we see Shinkaruk, Cassels and Hutton draw in. Even Virtanen is a question mark. Certainly if we move all those veteran pieces we'd want to re-sign the pending free agents we have, even is that changes a little.

Regardless, there's no way either my lineup or yours will suddenly be good enough to run over teams with speed - at least not with an consistency. It's still going to be a transition period where we win and lose some.

not sure how kenins hasnt proved he can play in nhl in 30 games he had 12 points hit anything that moved and was a constant threat with horvat plus a goal and assist in playoffs on a soft team that didnt hit flames much higgins, mattias, hansen, richardson dissapear when it counts id rather see if rookies dont dissapear when it counts plus have extra cap space 4-5 rookes on entry level contracts helps us alot

cassels mccann gaunce play a strong 200 ft game shinkaruk and virtanen worked whole yr on 200 ft game so not sure if you dont look at prospects just because burrows higgins and hansen are good defensively doesnt mean we should keep them we need offense as well

What we need is to add secondary scoring.

Good luck with that. This team has been searching for this mythical beast known as secondary scoring since the Sedins took control of the top line duties. Even when Kesler, who is a prototypical 2nd line center, was here he was the helicopter line (no wings) and couldn't really provide the secondary scoring that was desired.

Since getting a 2nd line player through free agency or trades seemingly will cost a lot in money or prospects, our only realistic (yet far fetched) hope is that someone from within the organization is ready to make an impact next season from the get-go.

Good luck with that. This team has been searching for this mythical beast known as secondary scoring since the Sedins took control of the top line duties. Even when Kesler, who is a prototypical 2nd line center, was here he was the helicopter line (no wings) and couldn't really provide the secondary scoring that was desired.

Since getting a 2nd line player through free agency or trades seemingly will cost a lot in money or prospects, our only realistic (yet far fetched) hope is that someone from within the organization is ready to make an impact next season from the get-go.

Our secondary scoring was best in the league 09-11. One year Raymond / Kesler / Samuelsson tied SJ for highest scoring 2knd line in the league. Next year our team was the highest scoring team in the league.

Common denominator?

We had a PMD who could dance any guy who challenged him when he had the puck. Ehrhoff could get into the lane, pass, and get shots on net where our current D passes around the perimeter. Passes on the perimeter on a good day > coughs up the puck under pressure on others.

We need a D man with puck skills, speed and jam offensively. Then you will see the "secondary'' scoring re-ignite...

Vets should be unloaded to make space for upcoming youth ONLY if they are ready, or to recoup picks

With Matthias likely to walk, and with Richardson as a bit of a question mark, that leaves Higgins, Burrows, Hamhuis, Bieksa, and Vrbata as potential tradeable vets. I'm leaving out players 24 - 30 because they can provide means of transitioning our new and upcoming players (that includes Tanev, Dorsett, Sbisa, Bonino, Hansen, and Edler).

Higgins could probably get us an equivalent of what Nashville got for David Legwand (Eaves, Jarnkrok, + conditional), so possibly early 2nd, late 2nd + cond, two 3rds and B prospect, etc.

Burrows could get us a 2nd and a B prospect, but i feel he's too versatile to give up for such a low return. Maybe to Montreal for Tinordi's rights, 2015 3rd and a conditional 2016 third (becomes 2nd if Tinordi doesn't sign with Vancouver)

Hamhuis could easily land what Jay Bowmeester got at the deadline a few years ago when he was traded to st Louis (Cundari, Berra, and first). All comes down to if he'd waive his NTC. Maybe to Dallas for 2015 first and Oleksiak.

If Bieksa waives, I can see him traded to Columbus for a 3rd and a B prospect. I seriously doubt it though.

Vrbata could get us a 1st and two b prospects at the deadline if everything goes wrong.

Very hard to say. With the possibility of the Max cap not rising, there could be a ton of offer sheets. Will be an interesting summer.

... :mellow:

Wow.

But, you know what? I'll play along. Assuming all the deals you listed go through, let's improve on your lineup.

Miller, Jensen, Hamhuis, Vrbata, Higgins, Hansen and Bonino gone. Couturier in. No mention of players being re-signed or not (i.e. Richardson, Matthias and Weber).

Sedin Sedin Kassian

Baertschi Couturier Burrows

Kenins Horvat Virtanen

Matthias Richardson Dorsett

Vey

Edler Tanev

Sbisa Clendening

Stanton Bieksa

Corrado Weber

Lack

Markstrom

I really doubt we see Shinkaruk, Cassels and Hutton draw in. Even Virtanen is a question mark. Certainly if we move all those veteran pieces we'd want to re-sign the pending free agents we have, even is that changes a little.

Regardless, there's no way either my lineup or yours will suddenly be good enough to run over teams with speed - at least not with an consistency. It's still going to be a transition period where we win and lose some.

I have a similar view to Elvis.

The OP's proposal will pretty much insure that we a high draft pick next year. Maybe that is what some people on CDC want.

The proposed team would likely finish last in the Pacific Division. The defence in particular would have a solid top pairing, no second pairing and two pairings that would be borderline 3rd pairings.

Obviously some changes need to be made. And I never liked Miller's deal -- 6 million for a guy is aging and is a below average NHL goalie (based on the numbers).

But trading Hammer is madness. Trading Bonino is madness. Yes he is better at 3C than 2C but he was probably the most valuable defensive forward on the team last year, contributes significant secondary scoring, and is huge bargain with a cap hit of 1.9 million. For those who did not notice both Hammer and Bonino were excellent at the world championships. Having gotten rid of two of our most valuable players defensively (Hammer and Bonino) the plan then calls for getting rid of our top goal scorer (Vrbata). Hansen was also very valuable and is a key reason Bo did well.

This proposal is basically tank city -- pretty much what Buffalo did this year.

And let's not forget no-trade-clauses while we are at it.

I could see the Canucks trading Higgins. And Bieksa is probably no longer good enough to be any more than a marginal bottom pairing guy but he is unlikely to waive his NTC and would not get much if anything in trade in any case. And if the Canucks could trade (or give away) Miller that would be great. Richardson and Matthias are unlikely to be re-signed so there will some change. Baertschi will play next year and so will Clendening and maybe one other prospect. Virtanen and Cassels will both get a long look in training camp and so will Shinkaruk, Gaunce, and Grenier. One of those 5 guys is likely to make the team.

Archived