The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks, PG Cougars to Make "Exciting" Announcement Tomorrow

Pears

http://www.focusnorth.ca/english/province/british_columbia.php

http://www.bcbc.com/content/556/2020_200910_IPG.pdf

http://www.vancouversun.com/business/Northern+lead+province+economic+growth+Central+report/6303173/story.html

Heres a few pieces of reading that some people may want to look into. No wonder the Canucks are heading north, money a plenty up there for well into the future.

Yeah, I get that a lot when I tell people that I grew up there.

I think a lot of people buy into all of the negative publicity and ignore anything positive. For whatever reason, the city seems to be the focus of a lot of misinformation, like Hedy Fry's "burning crosses" fantasy...

Haha. Hedy Fry. I remember that well. Id say back then, we deserved a negative reputation though, but things have changed.

Canucks aren't stupid, this is an important area to market their product. No other place in North America had more millionaires per capita not long ago. Thank you, Canucks! I will most likely go to another three games this season and spend thousands of dollars once again on tickets and Canuck merchandise this season. As will many other residents here.

Sorry about my rant. Just got a little tired of all the hate for my community, and I will defend it endlessly.

Go Canucks!

Never really had much occasion to go up there when I lived in PG, but I did spend a fair amount of time downtown.

I used to work in a bar called the Rock Pit (later became the Cadillac Ranch) and at the old Generator, when it was just a small club above a strip club.

I also played a few gigs at the old MacDonald Hotel, the National Hotel and the Ironhorse Pub, but I don't know if any of those exist anymore.

WOW, all that name dropping brings back memories. Not necessarily fond memories. Grew up there, left when i was about 21. Haven't looked back.

Why? What's so important in prince George they have to send everybody so far? No hate on PG just strikes me as odd they don't just train in the lower mainland. Plenty of different rinks and activities to keep the scenery fresh.

WOW, all that name dropping brings back memories. Not necessarily fond memories. Grew up there, left when i was about 21. Haven't looked back.

I left a couple of years after graduation, back in the early 80s.

I played all my minor hockey there, though. I've even got my name on one of the banners hanging in the Kin Center. :)

Yeah, I get that a lot when I tell people that I grew up there.

I think a lot of people buy into all of the negative publicity and ignore anything positive. For whatever reason, the city seems to be the focus of a lot of misinformation, like Hedy Fry's "burning crosses" fantasy...

Haha yeah between Hedy fry and the stupid title mcleans gives us ever year people seem to think it's all mad max up here... I always laugh it off like an American thinking we all live in igloos

Why? What's so important in prince George they have to send everybody so far? No hate on PG just strikes me as odd they don't just train in the lower mainland. Plenty of different rinks and activities to keep the scenery fresh.

I can think of several reasons. It gives back to their fans that are outside the lower mainland. Gives a boost to the Cougars, (who are partly owned by Hamhuis). It's the city's 100th birthday. PG just got rave reviews for hosting the Canada Winter Games (both for it's facilities and the residents)

They may be the Vancouver Canucks, but their revenue comes from all over the province

I can think of several reasons. It gives back to their fans that are outside the lower mainland. Gives a boost to the Cougars, (who are partly owned by Hamhuis). It's the city's 100th birthday. PG just got rave reviews for hosting the Canada Winter Games (both for it's facilities and the residents)

They may be the Vancouver Canucks, but their revenue comes from all over the province

That may be true but it has nothing to do with revenue. I also don't think it has anything to do with the cougars except maybe the canucks might get rink priority thanks to Hamhuis. Either way doesn't really matter I was just curious.

That may be true but it has nothing to do with revenue. I also don't think it has anything to do with the cougars except maybe the canucks might get rink priority thanks to Hamhuis. Either way doesn't really matter I was just curious.

Considering it was a joint annoncement with the Cougars, yeah it does involve them

I've been a die hard canucks fan my whole life. Spend lots of money on merch and never miss a game. I don't get to go to live games because I live 9hrs away. I'd have to say this is a well appreciated thank you to us up here and I couldn't be more excited to see all my favorite players and prospects in person.

It may be a smaller portion of revenue but more a bigger thank you for our unwavering support. We supported the team through years of hardship just like the lower mainland did. For what it's worth, when we spend our money to go see a game we've gotta fork out road trip gas, hotels and eating out for a few nights. It's pretty awesome for them to bring the game to us. Even if it's only training camp.

Wow. A lot of hate for PG on here. I am guessing mostly people who have never been here are most opinionated.

Lots of good people here, one of the best universities in Canada, that is spitting out fully trained doctors, lots of high paying jobs, disposable income, weather for all seasons offering unlimited recreational oppurtunities. Probably the best leisure facilities per capita, top rate Olympic size ice rink..... Its not the hell hole it used to be. But keep thinking it is, cause we like our 8 minute commutes to our 100,000 dollar a year jobs from our 250,000 dollar homes. We like our city.

We recently held the Canada winter games, and there was absolutely zero negative criticism by the athletes. Prince George has been an economic driver for this province for years.

I think the Canucks are making a wise decision by coming here. There are many Canuck fans who spend a lot of hard earned money supporting the team. Why not?

Just don't go downtown by Fort George Park. No worries

Vancouverites tend to be an arrogant bunch of wankers that think that pretty much anywhere in the world doesn't measure up to their precious city. They're a delusional bunch, but they're our delusional bunch. Just ignore them.

The Canucks have a huge population of fans outside the lower mainland that deserve to be rewarded for their loyalty. As you've said, PG has some awesome facilities and is very capable in handling a large influx of people.

The Nucks need a place to team build and work on their game; not a high end tourist resort.

Wow. A lot of hate for PG on here. I am guessing mostly people who have never been here are most opinionated.

Lots of good people here, one of the best universities in Canada, that is spitting out fully trained doctors, lots of high paying jobs, disposable income, weather for all seasons offering unlimited recreational oppurtunities. Probably the best leisure facilities per capita, top rate Olympic size ice rink..... Its not the hell hole it used to be. But keep thinking it is, cause we like our 8 minute commutes to our 100,000 dollar a year jobs from our 250,000 dollar homes. We like our city.

We recently held the Canada winter games, and there was absolutely zero negative criticism by the athletes. Prince George has been an economic driver for this province for years.

I think the Canucks are making a wise decision by coming here. There are many Canuck fans who spend a lot of hard earned money supporting the team. Why not?

Just don't go downtown by Fort George Park. No worries

it isn't the greatest place considering it's such a small town a lot of gang activity has been going down the last few years. Drive by shootings people getting into shootouts in the streets. And it is not just in the hood I used to live in a decent area and only a block away someone shot up a house. But there is a lot of good about it here also. the wages are good the house prices are great. I bought a house for 250k with a nice yard in a nice area that if it was in Vancouver probably would have cost me 2+ million. And the commute to work is great 10 min drive and I see maybe 6 cars the whole way. Plus hunting fishing hiking etc is some of the best around.

And we have decent weather. It can change in a matter of min but overall it is nice and warm in the summer and the winters are not as bad as they used to be.

Oh dear god. Is that your best?

It has everything to do with revenue. Its called marketing. The more interest you create in your product, the more you can charge for your product. Merchandise sales etc. Its not difficult to understand.

it isn't the greatest place considering it's such a small town a lot of gang activity has been going down the last few years. Drive by shootings people getting into shootouts in the streets. And it is not just in the hood I used to live in a decent area and only a block away someone shot up a house. But there is a lot of good about it here also. the wages are good the house prices are great. I bought a house for 250k with a nice yard in a nice area that if it was in Vancouver probably would have cost me 2+ million. And the commute to work is great 10 min drive and I see maybe 6 cars the whole way. Plus hunting fishing hiking etc is some of the best around.

And we have decent weather. It can change in a matter of min but overall it is nice and warm in the summer and the winters are not as bad as they used to be.

Who gets into shootouts in the street? I don't pack a gun, so I sure as hell don't. What streets should I avoid. Enlighten me. I have lived here for 45 years. If you are looking for trouble, sure, you will find it. But Kelowna, Surrey, Nanaimo are no different.

This is beyond ridiculuous..... the misinformation is truly shocking.

I left a couple of years after graduation, back in the early 80s.

I played all my minor hockey there, though. I've even got my name on one of the banners hanging in the Kin Center. :)

You used to. Purolator Cup?

They took banners down and rebuilt Kin 1 for the Canada Games. Its an unbelievable new rink now. They haven't rehung them

Who gets into shootouts in the street? I don't pack a gun, so I sure as hell don't. What streets should I avoid. Enlighten me. I have lived here for 45 years. If you are looking for trouble, sure, you will find it. But Kelowna, Surrey, Nanaimo are no different.

This is beyond ridiculuous..... the misinformation is truly shocking.

there was a shootout downtown like two years ago. Buddy got shot infront of moxie's a few years ago and just recently guy got shot on 15th Ave and Harper area.

Also several drive by shootings without injuries in the 5th and tabor area over the last couple years I lived there. And house got shot up on 1st and tabor three years ago. Had like ten bullet holes in front window. Just because you don't know what is happening in your community doesn't make it misinformation.

Not saying other places don't have the same thing but in a smaller town it seems to happen more then it should. Lucky most are targeted and don't involve the general public but the one that happened down town happened mid day with lots of people around from my understanding.

But I would also like to point outthat I would never leave this place.

there was a shootout downtown like two years ago. Buddy got shot infront of moxie's a few years ago and just recently guy got shot on 15th Ave and Harper area.

Also several drive by shootings without injuries in the 5th and tabor area over the last couple years I lived there. And house got shot up on 1st and tabor three years ago. Had like ten bullet holes in front window. Just because you don't know what is happening in your community doesn't make it misinformation.

Yes, all gang hits. Nothing random about those events. For the average person, its not a dangerous place.

These events happen every day in the Lower Mainland. Also, Kelowna, Kamloops and Victoria are not immune to them. Its no different here

Yes, all gang hits. Nothing random about those events. For the average person, its not a dangerous place.

These events happen every day in the Lower Mainland. Also, Kelowna, Kamloops and Victoria are not immune to them. Its no different here

It's quieted down recently. There's no flashy gangs here anymore. Bikers are gone now and it's more small time criminals battling it out. Got pretty gnarly a few years ago but it's not nearly as bad today

Archived