The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Israel Scraps Plan for Segregated Buses

DonLever

You spend way too much effort arguing with someone who does not deserve that effort.

When my experience is dismissed so casually by such an "expert" it gets to me.

And by expert I of course mean someone without any bias or interest what so ever of course. Like at all. Seriously. :bigblush:

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Wednesday called off a proposed plan to segregate Palestinians from Israelis on West Bank buses, overruling his own defence minister following a flurry of criticism in an attempt to avert the first crisis of his new government.

An official in the prime minister's office said Netanyahu called Defence Minister Moshe Yaalon to tell him he found his proposal "unacceptable" and the two then decided to freeze the plan.

Yaalon had launched the three-month pilot program following repeated complaints from Jewish settlers who ride the buses and say the Palestinian workers constitute a security threat and harass female Jewish riders.

Thousands of Palestinians enter Israel for work each day from the West Bank and often return home in buses alongside Jewish settlers. The Palestinian labourers all have security clearance and special permits, but the proposed change would have forced them to return home through the same checkpoint they entered and prevented them from riding West Bank buses alongside Israelis.

Critics derided the plan as racist and said it would harm Israel's image, which has already been under pressure because of its continued settlement activity in the West Bank. Israel captured the West Bank from Jordan in the 1967 war and Palestinians want it as part of their future state.

"The separation between Palestinians and Jews on public transportation is an unnecessary humiliation and a stain on the face of the country and its citizens," opposition leader Isaac Herzog wrote on his Facebook page. "It adds unnecessary oil to the bonfire of hate against Israel in the world."

Zehava Galon, leader of the dovish Meretz party, went further, saying, "This is how apartheid looks."

The proposal even came under fire from backers of the settlements, who said it did not promote their cause and created undue damage to Israel's image.

Netanyahu quickly reversed course amid the criticism, marking an inauspicious start for a government that took office this week and has held exactly one cabinet meeting.

Netanyahu's narrow coalition is dominated by hard-line lawmakers aligned with the West Bank settler movement. In particular, the heavily pro-settler Jewish Home party managed to drive a tough bargain during coalition negotiations — with party members securing appointments as education minister, agriculture minister, justice minister and deputy defence minister.

Their support for further settlement construction, and their opposition to peacemaking with the Palestinians, has set the stage for likely clashes between Israel and its Western allies. The bus segregation plan, if implemented, would have likely drawn global comparisons to both South African apartheid and the racial segregation on buses that sparked the American civil rights movement.

Later Wednesday, Netanyahu was scheduled to meet the European Union's foreign policy chief, Federica Mogherini. The EU has voiced harsh criticism of Israeli settlements, and some countries are pushing for the bloc to require goods produced in settlements to have special labels if they are to be sold in Europe

=======================================================================

Not apartheid or racist at all. Nope. Totally kosher and cool as can be. Yup. equality for all.

Hey look that Arab Israeli kid has a ball, all is well.

Honestly what´s wrong with Israel?

ok. it´s their country, we know they have problems with Arabs and that hole Nazi story. ok everybody knows...

but it´s done. the Nazi were defeated and this strategy of segregation is cleary not working. maybe if they start a peacefull conversation with their neightbours things might just go fine for both sides...

Palestine want their own country? why not just let they have it?

-maybe with their own country Palestines would be very busy to manage their own land and will be too busy there instead fighting Israel...

Israelis can´t use the "Holocaust excuse" for everything. Israel does everything using this excuse, why not simply go there and fight back the Germany government?

why Israel don´t push over Russia or USA. maybe because Russia don´t give a damm s#%#% about Israel and because USA is the number 1 supplier to Israel (money and weapons)....

seems "amazing" how many enemies Israel can make. this "segregated buses" would cause so many problems because an open apertheit will not be accepted.

the "choosen people" is becoming fast "the choosen people to be hated by many countries"

talk with Arabs instead bomb them. might work. maybe if Israel give Palestine some piece of land to be their (Palestine) country things will probably become less dangerous for the hole middle east.

but the amazing thing is. here in Brazil the "choosen people" have to understand that a Palestine person will take the same bus/taxi/car/plane with you and don´t try tell that "in Israel..." because people will tell to the "choosen people" this thing:

"you´re not in Israel and we don´t care what religion you have..."

gee. wake-up Israel...

My friend just got back from Israel last week. He's not a simple tourist, his wife has family there. Racism in that country is a very real part of daily life. It's closer to eastern Europe than Canada or any developed western nation.

Israel should drop the whole Jewish state designation, it's not going to work out for them in the long run anyway.

Mate you should come to Aus, the country I live in is very racist/xenophobic

VUKg7ZF5Sw0QxJtU.jpg

This was made in response to such images as a map of aus with the words inside reading , F#(k of we are full .....fit in or f#(k off.

Southern Cross 'gangstas' boast of Aussie pride
scs_wideweb__470x352,0.jpg

'Only one ethnicity' … SCS leader Adds.

Dylan Welch, Police Reporter

December 14, 2008

THEY shave their heads, wear Southern Cross tattoos and drape everything - from their web pages and bedrooms to their rhetoric and their bodies - in the livery of Australian nationalism.

Meet the teens and young adults of the Southern Cross Soldiers: white, Australian and willing to violently defend "their" country.

"We are not racist, just patriots. Out to set it straight, there is only one ethnicity in Australia, Australian," read a statement on all SCS MySpace club pages.

Their profile pages are littered with slogans such as "Aussie pride in my mind, Aussie blood is my kind" and "proud to be Australian".

Photos show Caucasian teens drinking, posing and, in many cases, wearing black-hooded jumpers with "SCS" emblazoned on the front, "Aussie" stitched on one sleeve, "Pride" on the other.

Tyler Cassidy, the 15-year-old shot dead by police in Melbourne on Thursday, boasted of belonging to this group.

Victoria Police say they are aware of the SCS. Last month a self-described co-leader of Tyler's Melbourne chapter said members included neo-Nazis and relatives of bikie gang members.

The group stood for "Aussies", said the leader, known as Adds. "All these people that are coming over to our country that aren't Aussies are trying to take it over. We're just trying to put the word out that we don't like it," he said.

Seeing more and more of this type of aussie.

Mate you should come to Aus, the country I live in is very racist/xenophobic

VUKg7ZF5Sw0QxJtU.jpg

This was made in response to such images as a map of aus with the words inside reading , F#(k of we are full .....fit in or f#(k off.

Southern Cross 'gangstas' boast of Aussie pride
scs_wideweb__470x352,0.jpg

'Only one ethnicity' … SCS leader Adds.

Dylan Welch, Police Reporter

December 14, 2008

THEY shave their heads, wear Southern Cross tattoos and drape everything - from their web pages and bedrooms to their rhetoric and their bodies - in the livery of Australian nationalism.

Meet the teens and young adults of the Southern Cross Soldiers: white, Australian and willing to violently defend "their" country.

"We are not racist, just patriots. Out to set it straight, there is only one ethnicity in Australia, Australian," read a statement on all SCS MySpace club pages.

Their profile pages are littered with slogans such as "Aussie pride in my mind, Aussie blood is my kind" and "proud to be Australian".

Photos show Caucasian teens drinking, posing and, in many cases, wearing black-hooded jumpers with "SCS" emblazoned on the front, "Aussie" stitched on one sleeve, "Pride" on the other.

Tyler Cassidy, the 15-year-old shot dead by police in Melbourne on Thursday, boasted of belonging to this group.

Victoria Police say they are aware of the SCS. Last month a self-described co-leader of Tyler's Melbourne chapter said members included neo-Nazis and relatives of bikie gang members.

The group stood for "Aussies", said the leader, known as Adds. "All these people that are coming over to our country that aren't Aussies are trying to take it over. We're just trying to put the word out that we don't like it," he said.

Seeing more and more of this type of aussie.

Equally horrible.

And LOL @ the fact that they use MySpace.

It doesn't matter whether or not the majority of Israelis are racist or not, if a racist policy makes it that far, the government has a problem with discrimination and intolerance. It's a disturbing policy and the optics are really bad. I have no sympathy for Netanyahu. He pandered to hardliners to get elected and then to moderates immediately after the election to get his coalition. Israel politics is a huge mess, and these type of racist policies will continue to be put forth until there really is no appetite for the hard liners from the population. I'm very happy to hear the level of outcry. Hopefully up and coming Israeli politicians are listening.

I don't know, if USA and Canada were at war and US citizens kept coming up here and blowing up buses with bomb vests, I would probably feel safer if I know the bus I was on did not have any US bomb vests.

Not that it's right, but I would feel safer riding the bus.

I don't know, if USA and Canada were at war and US citizens kept coming up here and blowing up buses with bomb vests, I would probably feel safer if I know the bus I was on did not have any US bomb vests.

Not that it's right, but I would feel safer riding the bus.

Lawl.. What?

Are you assuming all Palestinians are terrorists who strap suicide bombs to themselves?

Lawl.. What?

Are you assuming all Palestinians are terrorists who strap suicide bombs to themselves?

Well, the US did heighten security after 9/11... If they had thought that that was a one-time incident, more safeguards wouldn't be needed.

It may not be everyone but it certainly gives them a bad rep.

Well, the US did heighten security after 9/11... If they had thought that that was a one-time incident, more safeguards wouldn't be needed.

It may not be everyone but it certainly gives them a bad rep.

No to the point of segregated an entire population of people..

Your moral compass is way off if you think this compares to US security during 9/11..

Humanity is supposed to move forward not take steps back.

No to the point of segregated an entire population of people..

Your moral compass is way off if you think this compares to US security during 9/11..

Humanity is supposed to move forward not take steps back.

I didn't say segregation was the way to go, but if they're feeling threatened, then they should definitely have more security protocols.

First they came for the war profiteers, and I did not speak out—

Then they came for the corrupt leaders, and I did not speak out—

Then they came for the greedy elite, and I did not speak out—

Then we all lived happily ever after.*

* Well not really. But at least we stopped getting manipulated into doing their dirty work.

I didn't say segregation was the way to go, but if they're feeling threatened, then they should definitely have more security protocols.

They have security protocols in place. All the Palestinians that get on that bus have work permits and should already have cleared security.

One does not count as 'all the time'.

That was the most recent, but buses and bus stops are a very frequent target for terrorist attacks in Israel. They contain a large number of citizens concentrated into a small area. Here's a few lists of major terrorist attacks in Israel. Search for the word "bus", it comes up frequently:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Palestinian_suicide_attacks#2008_.282_bombings.29

https://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/Terrorism/victims.html

The fact you know so little about the conflict, yet have such a strong opinion, speaks poorly.

That was the most recent, but buses and bus stops are a very frequent target for terrorist attacks in Israel. They contain a large number of citizens concentrated into a small area. Here's a few lists of major terrorist attacks in Israel. Search for the word "bus", it comes up frequently:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Palestinian_suicide_attacks#2008_.282_bombings.29

https://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/Terrorism/victims.html

The fact you know so little about the conflict, yet have such a strong opinion, speaks poorly.

maybe he was just a tourist, or doesn't speak the language.

Right?

Because if you don't live there full time you're obviously not qualified to comment.

Archived