The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Bruins name Don Sweeney GM

Boston Bruins name Don Sweeney General Manager. Read full release: http://bbru.in/1efi6cO ^BB

Sweeney becomes the 8th GM in Bruins' franchise history & will enter his 10th season in the Bruins' front office after 6 years as Asst. GM

Cam Neely, Charlie Jacobs and Don Sweeney will hold a press conference @TDGarden at 1:30 p.m. ET. As always, we'll provide live updates ^CS

Sweeney's Progress-'06- Bruins Director of Player Development, '07 Director of Hockey Ops, '09- Assistant GM- Today 1:30 est, Bruins GM #TSN

now to trade Kassian to them.

Media: "So Don, what will be your first course of action?

Don: "Well, you know that nobody the Canucks traded for a number of years ago who's been completely underwhelming? We're going to trade a 4th round draft pick for him, because that's all he's worth."

Yes, because the playoffs proved we don't really need physical players with size, right?

Ok, Zack Kassian's best season in the NHL he had 91 hits.

(He had 88 this year which is great for 42 games.)

However, MacMillan had 91 in 58 games, Stanton had 93 in 54 games, Bieksa had 109 hits in 60 games, Sbisa had 151 in 76 games, and Dorsett had 166 in 79 games.

In a lot of games I saw he had chances to lay the body, and he didn't. Or he got knocked down. Now is this due to his back issues? Because it looked like to me the fans and the organization want him to play like a power forward. Yet Zack wants to be a skilled winger. I'd really want to get an expert opinion on what's wrong with his back.

However, MacMillan had 91 in 58 games, Stanton had 93 in 54 games, Bieksa had 109 hits in 60 games, Sbisa had 151 in 76 games, and Dorsett had 166 in 79 games.

In a lot of games I saw he had chances to lay the body, and he didn't. Or he got knocked down. Now is this due to his back issues? Because it looked like to me the fans and the organization want him to play like a power forward. Yet Zack wants to be a skilled winger. I'd really want to get an expert opinion on what's wrong with his back.

It's not just about throwing hits. It's about being able to be hit. (Not only is a bigger guy less likely to be phased by a hit, but it can hurt the guy throwing the hit as much or more, if he's smaller). And when a hit is thrown, you can make it count.

We only had a couple guys as big-or-bigger than Ferland playing in the 1st round. But he's the average size for Anaheim, with a number of guys much bigger. And that MF didn't last even 1 period trying to throw his body around on them the same way he did against the Nucks.

In a lot of games I saw he had chances to lay the body, and he didn't. Or he got knocked down. Now is this due to his back issues? Because it looked like to me the fans and the organization want him to play like a power forward. Yet Zack wants to be a skilled winger. I'd really want to get an expert opinion on Walt's wrong with his back.

6'4. Remember that.

I know a guy who is 6'4 and completely uncoordinated and soft as a marshmallow. So I am not sure what you are getting at.

In the playoffs a guy like Kassian thrives. 6'4 and can fight+score. While the rest of the league gets faster and bigger, Canucks fans want to get smaller and slower...

After watching Kesler turn back into an power forward again in Anaheim, I think this issue with Kassian and all other players on this team is that they'd try harder if the team had a hope in hell of winning.

This is part of the reason why we should not get too excited about inflated regular seasons again. Esp. with cushy schedules and a bunch of wins against teams who didn't regard this team with any importance. Who cares about regular seasons if they chose not to show up for the playoffs?

I respect Kesler's decision to move to a team that had a chance. In the meantime maybe this team should forget about the denial phase that they're in. Not sold.

After watching Kesler turn back into an power forward again in Anaheim, I think this issue with Kassian and all other players on this team is that they'd try harder if the team had a hope in hell of winning.

This is part of the reason why we should not get too excited about inflated regular seasons again. Esp. with cushy schedules and a bunch of wins against teams who didn't regard this team with any importance. Who cares about regular seasons if they chose not to show up for the playoffs?

I respect Kesler's decision to move to a team that had a chance. In the meantime maybe this team should forget about the denial phase that they're in. Not sold.

So Kassian doesn't play hard because he doesn't think this team will win? Whaaaaat?

No, Anaheim has better players for Kesler to play with, hence he becomes a better player himself.

If Kassian was playing with Getzlaf and Perry like Maroon is, I'm sure he would look a hell of alot better too.

Yes, because the playoffs proved we don't really need physical players with size, right?

True, but Kass is hot & cold with his physical play...the question I have is which Kassian are we going to see when he returns from an obviously serious back injury? Kass's back is certainly more serious than fans and media have been led to believe.

Archived