The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Surprised That Nobody Here Is Talking About Nolan And The Giants

Good to see. I thought it was pretty unfair that he got axed given the way Murray dismantled his team, or what scraps of a team he had to begin with. Has a good track record with young players, a pro-level resume, and the opportunity to work with the wunderkid Tyler Benson. This could be good.

Yeah, that's right. Regier offered the deal after taking over from Muckler. That's what I get for going off the top of my head.

Regier was a pain in the butt from day 1. :mellow: I loved Ruff, but Nolan has gotten boned by Sabres GMs twice now. First Regier then Murray.

I think the best thing for any coach who has a bad run in the NHL is to go back to their roots!

I was not a fan of Nolan's work in Buffalo. Happy to see him get a chance there, but he did not make the best of it.

Its encouraging that hockey is the actual priority. Like when AV went back to junior after being sacked in Montreal. Any "pure'' hockey man should be happy with $100K to coach where the real goal is to help kids...

I think the best thing for any coach who has a bad run in the NHL is to go back to their roots!

I was not a fan of Nolan's work in Buffalo. Happy to see him get a chance there, but he did not make the best of it.

Its encouraging that hockey is the actual priority. Like when AV went back to junior after being sacked in Montreal. Any "pure'' hockey man should be happy with $100K to coach where the real goal is to help kids...

How can you really fault him for his time in Buffalo? He was given a horrible team to coach and some of the few good pieces he had to start with were taken away. Watching a few Sabres games this year I was actually impressed by the way they played- to a man they seemed to compete as hard or harder than any team in the league. That's got to count for something when you consider the roster...Teddy did a good job getting the most out of what he had.

How can you really fault him for his time in Buffalo? He was given a horrible team to coach and some of the few good pieces he had to start with were taken away. Watching a few Sabres games this year I was actually impressed by the way they played- to a man they seemed to compete as hard or harder than any team in the league. That's got to count for something when you consider the roster...Teddy did a good job getting the most out of what he had.

Totally agree. IMHO, some weird hybrid of Scotty Bowman, Al Arbour and Dick Irvine Sr, all in the same body, wouldn't have been able to do much better with that roster.

I think people would be better advised to judge him on his work with the Latvian National team, rather than this last go-round with the Sabres.

Personally, I think the Giants are getting an excellent coach. (if the deal does go through)

Totally agree. IMHO, some weird hybrid of Scotty Bowman, Al Arbour and Dick Irvine Sr, all in the same body, wouldn't have been able to do much better with that roster.

I think people would be better advised to judge him on his work with the Latvian National team, rather than this last go-round with the Sabres.

Personally, I think the Giants are getting an excellent coach. (if the deal does go through)

Absolutely. What were people saying in the Babcock thread, something along the lines of "the greatest chariot in the world is useless if it doesn't have the horses to pull it"? The Sabres simply did not have a roster capable of competing for a playoff spot but Teddy did an excellent job with what he had. I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do with the Giants (as you said, if the deal goes through).

They should also consider his Jack Adams award from the 90's as well as 3 jr. league championships in 5 tries. He's a good coach and a great guy.

Archived