The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour/Speculation] Joel Ward to hit free agency, Vancouver a possible landing spot

I'd rather the Canucks not do too much aquiring in FA this year...why tie up money. Next year's crop is supposed to be way better and we will be shed some contacts of our own. We need to build our D forget about getting another plug for our forward group. I think Brent Seabrook is an FA next year. I'd target him as the Hawks are up against it.

I'd rather the Canucks not do too much aquiring in FA this year...why tie up money. Next year's crop is supposed to be way better and we will be shed some contacts of our own. We need to build our D forget about getting another plug for our forward group. I think Brent Seabrook is an FA next year. I'd target him as the Hawks are up against it.

Seabrook is going nowhere but Chi

If a 4th liner like Dorsett gets 2.5mil, then maybe there is a case for Ward here as a $3.7mil 3rd liner.

The reason Benning is over paying Dorsett is because he loves his work ethic and professionalism. Benning wants his rookies to play with Dorsett on the 4th line to be mentored. Worked great with Bo! This year probably Jake and to a smaller degree Cole Cassels or Gaunce are playing on the 4th line with Dorsett. Ward would also be a great mentor in this regard. I personally am done with Higgins lack of playoff success aka. Mason Raymond. You can't teach heart.

I have heard nothing but bad things about his work ethic. I guess Tim Hunter was disgusted and wanted to scratch him but upper management wouldn't let him.

Or maybe he is a racist, who knows.

Not saying night and day. Ward is a clutch playoff performer who has proven himself. Higgins is a decent defensive forward who disappears for long stretches of time during the regular season and was a complete non factor for this team in the playoffs.

That's because Higgins isn't supposed to be a top 6 LW. In an appropriate 3rd or 4th line role he's only a slight downgrade from Ward and at what will likely be ~1/2 the cap hit. It's simply not worth it.

Especially when Dorsett didn't even show up in the playoffs

Dors was injured.

Old news, sorta. I believe he was very close to signing in Vancouver a few years ago. I believe Vancouver offered a 3 yr deal and Washington offered a 4 yr deal...He took the Caps deal.

And while Gillis isn't here anymore, a lot of the front office in Vancouver is the same - Gilman and Henning. It would not shock me if they kick tires on him again, but I doubt they offer him as much as other teams.

I Ward wants to play in Vancouver he will, but it likely won't be for the money others will offer him.

No way Vancouver signs Joel Ward. There would have to be multiple holes in the lineup to fill next season. I don't think JB fancies making his lineup Swiss cheese at the draft. He's gonna try and find that puck mover who can skate the puck in with speed and that's pretty much it. Maybe Hansen or Kassian are traded and then that makes a hole for 1 player to make the team. That's it for the forward lines.

Archived