The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(DISCUSSION) Sabotka and Franson

Franson would be a great addition to our D if we can move Bieksa and his 4.5M cap hit.

Sobotka would be a great help in the FO circle. He is an RFA so we would have to give up something for him to the blues. Not sure on the rules.

Sedin Sedin Burrows

Baertschi Horvat Vrbata

Higgins Bonino Kassian

Dorsett Sabotka Hansen

Edler Tanev

Hamhuis Franson

Sbisa Weber

Corrado

Clendenning

First of all, it's Sobotka, second, he's with Avangard Omsk right now. And I don't want a $6M or $7M defender on the team... not worth it IMO. Corrado and Clendening need their shot.

I think we could get him at 4.5-5M.. 5.5M at most(2-3 year NTC), unload Bieksa's 4.5M it becomes 1M.

So 1M for Franson over Bieksa skills dont sound so bad. Plus Franson is what we need. One or 2 of Corrado/Weber/Clendenning will be traded for a pick or other younger prospect

I think we could get him at 4.5-5M.. 5.5M at most, unload Bieksa's 4.5M it becomes 1M.

So 1M for Franson over Bieksa skills dont sound so bad. Plus Franson is what we need. One or 2 of Corrado/Weber/Clendenning will be traded for a pick or other younger prospect

The guy's never scored more than 33 points, and in 23 games with Nashville this season, he only had 4. The last time he had positive +/- was in 2012-13, that one season where the leafs were actually decent.

I'm not sure this is what we need, and certainly not for that price.

I think we could get him at 4.5-5M.. 5.5M at most(2-3 year NTC), unload Bieksa's 4.5M it becomes 1M.

I would rather try and get Mike Green for 1 mill over Bieksa, Franson is over-rated, go for a guy who is proven offensive and can actually help a problem we have

Can't believe people still want to try to sign older free agents to try and patch this team up. It's time to give young players the opportunity. Franson and Sobotka won't get us much closer to winning a cup but Benning does want a competitive team so who knows what the hell he's got up his sleeves. We will be basking in mediocrity until the Sedins are gone then the real rebuild will begin. Getting bounced in 6 during the first round and we pick 23rd overall!? Winning atmosphere is good but this almost felt like a useless season imo.

Yeah, the longer we put off the inevitable the farther behind Edmonton, Calgary and Winnipeg we are. If we continue to patch it up we`ll be the doormats of western Canada for full generation. Of course this is not on Benning and Linden, Aqua has to commit to it obviously.

Cody Franson works well with a mobile puck mover, but he is not at all the type of defenseman we need.

His point totals and size are alluring, but he is in the same mould as Jason Garrison, and despite having close to 50% more points than any of our other D in the 2013-2014 season Garrison was cast off for a 2nd round pick.

We need speed on the blueline. A Jovanovski or Christian Erhoff type who can carry the puck, not necessarily a trigger man with a booming shot. Our D is so slow. Sbisa is actually a pretty good skater, and that with his physicality is why he got the big contract despite his less than stellar performance.

We can try to acquire one at a high cost, hope for a bounce back from a has-been free agent (Meszaros, Ehrhoff) OR develop from the inside (Clendening). I think we are going to go with the last option and give Clendeing a shot.

sobotka would be great for faceoff and possession numbers, franson would be decent as well i like it

trade vrbata for a first, miller for a second and third, higgins for a third, hamhuis and hansen and a 2nd for pouliot

sedin sedin kassian

baertchi bonino virtanen

kenins horvat burrows

dorsett sobotka gaunce

shinkaruk

edler tanev

pouliot franson

clendenning bieska

stanton corrado would be a sick lineup

Can't believe people still want to try to sign older free agents to try and patch this team up. It's time to give young players the opportunity. Franson and Sobotka won't get us much closer to winning a cup but Benning does want a competitive team so who knows what the hell he's got up his sleeves. We will be basking in mediocrity until the Sedins are gone then the real rebuild will begin. Getting bounced in 6 during the first round and we pick 23rd overall!? Winning atmosphere is good but this almost felt like a useless season imo.

I can see where you're coming from but try to look at it this way.

The Sedin's will develop the current group of young prospects (Horvat, Virtanen, Vey, etc) When the Sedin's retire these prospects (plus the Tanev's, Lack's, and Kassians of the team) can help bring along the good picks from the decline of the team when the Sedin's retire.

Currently, Edmonton is doing it backwards. They seem to hope that an 18 year old can develop their players into winners because Hall, Eberle, Shultz, RNH haven't figured out how to win in the NHL yet.

Im a very big fan of Sobotka but I wonder if the Canucks would have any room for him in their re-tool plans. I know he can play wing but he is more effective as a center in my opinion.

Would fans be ready to see Horvat on the 4th line again next year? - I want him centering that 3rd line.

Im a very big fan of Sobotka but I wonder if the Canucks would have any room for him in their re-tool plans. I know he can play wing but he is more effective as a center in my opinion.

Would fans be ready to see Horvat on the 4th line again next year? - I want him centering that 3rd line.

We kind of need a 4th line centre. I am fine with brining Richardson back. Gaunce isn't ready. I wouldn't mind putting Malhotra on a cheap 1 year deal to mentor a guy like Vey and swap in and out with him on the fourth line.

Santorelli was a great fit, I'd be happy to have him back. Marcel Goc, Torrey Mitchell, Jim Slater, Gregory Campbell, Max Lappierre, James Sheppard, Daniel Winnik, Tyler Kennedy, Shawn Horcoff, and Matt Cullen are available UFAs who would make a good 4th line centre.

Getting back on topic, no, not acquainted with the Nutella donut. I want guys on the back end who are repesented in classic dependability.

Eg: an apple fritter & Boston cream are what we need..+ extra-large, real man's TimHo brew drunk black, to show you mean business...

I'd take a flyer on franson at 4.5m but not a penny more. Hes big, mobile, right handed, big shot and he'd be paired with hamhuis so that's a good recipe for success

On the other hand, franson has had some real ups and downs in his career. Although I don't think his short stint in Nashville isn't a fair estimate of his play this year because he didn't really fit there.

Axe Higgins, bieksa, vey and burrows. Bring in bickell and santorelli

Sedin-sedin-kassian

Baerschi-horvat-vrbata

Bickell-bonino-Virtanen

Dorsett-santorelli-Hansen

Kenins

Edler-tanev

Hamhuis-franson

Sbisa-weber

Stanton-clendening/corrado

Archived