The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Looking Back On Cup Run

Nucks89

I was thinking today, how will most of you remember the 2011 cup run? Fairly or unfairly, I look at it as an oppurtunity lost. I see Sedin getting punched like a dog, I see Roberto Luongo melting down. There were good moments, yet it's hard not to look at it as a waste.

Living in the past. The Canucks defense was it's weakness even back then.

It was a mobile defense but an undersized and soft one that failed to handle larger tougher forwards like Lucic. The Bruins defense was capable of neutralizing the top line effectively.

Until Vancouver addresses what had been it's most glaring weakness, nothing will change.

I see AV leaving Leaky Lu out there in Boston to get ventilated while keeping a better goalie on the bench.

AV is clueless when it comes to goalies. Leaving Luongo in to get embarrassed in both Chicago and Boston was a mistake. He seems to be repeating history with Lundqvuist.

We lost our best defensive d-man in game one and that set the tone for the rest of the series. We had so many injuries and to star players too, much more than recent Stanley Cup Champions have had.

That said, Lui was Hyde one game more than he was Jekyll.

I love how everyone points out the bad things that happened and always blames "weak defense and goal tending" but not many people think "we were one game away from the Stanley cup" we must have done something right.

Give your heads a shake for once we had a good team we blew it.

Nothing about the team was weak at the time.

Now get on with your lives and look forward to when the Canuck's are in another Stanley cup final.

A should-have-won scenario, and would have for sure if not for being decimated by injuries, and horrible officiating/suspensions.

Look at all the recent cup winners, somehow they stay relatively unscathed. I don't know how teams like Chicago and LA stay healthy every year, but it's pretty frustrating to see them get all the luck while we get none.

Living in the past. The Canucks defense was it's weakness even back then.

It was a mobile defense but an undersized and soft one that failed to handle larger tougher forwards like Lucic. The Bruins defense was capable of neutralizing the top line effectively.

Until Vancouver addresses what had been it's most glaring weakness, nothing will change.

Canucks defense was decent back then. Actually it was really good. It was the Injuries (and Suspension) that made Boston able to walk all over them.

From what i remember, the Defense was in pretty bad shape.

Hamhuis (Groin Injury)

Erhoff (Shoulder Injury)

Edler (Broken Fingers)

Rome (Suspended)

Salo (most-likely injured lol)

Bieksa

Alberts

Ballard

Tanev (I think he was still a rookie?)

As a matter of fact, I believe a healthy Canucks team could've beat the Bruins. But that's what happens when you play in the West Coast.

goalie wasnt problem it was the crappy dcorp and soft bottom six

Canucks D was DECIMATED by Injuries and Suspensions. If healthy they were arguably top of the league.

You are absolutely right about the soft bottom six though. The third-line was good because they had enough skill to play, but the fourth line got outplayed on a night-to-night basis.

Archived