The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning needs to deal miller, lack or markstrom before July 1st

billabong

You must have been Lacking vision in the playoffs. 886 sv %, let in very soft goals, looked shakey all series, got hooked in game 4, and looked like a minor league goaltender in Calgary.

"looked shakey all series"

All series, huh?

Game 1-2nd star of the game. Stopped 30 of 32 shots, save % .933. http://canucks.nhl.com/gamecenter/en/recap?id=2014030181

Game 2-1st star of the game. Stopped 22 of 23, save % .957. http://canucks.nhl.com/gamecenter/en/recap?id=2014030182

Garrison move sucks.

opened up the cap space to sign vrbata....

Vrbata+vey>>>>>>>>garrison

I am with Tan on this one. To get the calculation right we have to remember that Sbisa replaced Garrison on D. His cap hit was approximately 2.2 million. Garrison's cap hit was 4.6 million. The net saving was only 2.4 million. And next year Sbisa's cap hit will be 3.6 million so the net saving will be only 1 million.

An alternative to getting Sbisa in the Kesler deal would have been to get a good prospect who could have played in Utica or maybe a low cost young forward.

Anyway, getting rid of Garrison really only saved 2.4 million given that he needed to be replaced on D. There were other ways Benning could have liberated 2.4 million. In fact the Canucks carried a cushion all year anyway so the amount needed was less. Certainly trading Higgins for a pick or prospect would have been enough.

But my favored way of liberating cap space would have been to not sign Miller. Or if Benning had to sign Miller he should have done it for less, like maybe 5 million. (Benning seems to get impatient when negotiating contracts. He signed Miller very quickly, Sbisa very quickly, Dorsett very quickly, and Tanev very quickly. He overpaid for all of them. He obviously likes scouting. I am guessing he does not like negotiating contracts.)

Garrison had an excellent year in Tampa, really wanted to be in Vancouver, and was a great guy. Trading him for a second round pick was a bad move. And trading that second round pick for Vey was another bad move.

Benning made a lot of good moves this past year. But every GM makes mistakes and, with the benefit of hindsight, trading Garrison for a 2nd round pick was a mistake.

I am with Tan on this one. To get the calculation right we have to remember that Sbisa replaced Garrison on D. His cap hit was approximately 2.2 million. Garrison's cap hit was 4.6 million. The net saving was only 2.4 million. And next year Sbisa's cap hit will be 3.6 million so the net saving will be only 1 million.

An alternative to getting Sbisa in the Kesler deal would have been to get a good prospect who could have played in Utica or maybe a low cost young forward.

Anyway, getting rid of Garrison really only saved 2.4 million given that he needed to be replaced on D. There were other ways Benning could have liberated 2.4 million. In fact the Canucks carried a cushion all year anyway so the amount needed was less. Certainly trading Higgins for a pick or prospect would have been enough.

But my favored way of liberating cap space would have been to not sign Miller. Or if Benning had to sign Miller he should have done it for less, like maybe 5 million. (Benning seems to get impatient when negotiating contracts. He signed Miller very quickly, Sbisa very quickly, Dorsett very quickly, and Tanev very quickly. He overpaid for all of them. He obviously likes scouting. I am guessing he does not like negotiating contracts.)

Garrison had an excellent year in Tampa, really wanted to be in Vancouver, and was a great guy. Trading him for a second round pick was a bad move. And trading that second round pick for Vey was another bad move.

Benning made a lot of good moves this past year. But every GM makes mistakes and, with the benefit of hindsight, trading Garrison for a 2nd round pick was a mistake.

Benning was probably trying to put his stamp on the team and change the culture..Garrison being the first NTC to fall (I thought his play was absolutely brutal in his last year here)...Sbisa has no NTC,he's fairly young ,and will improve...He is a big physical presence,on what is probably the softest D in the entire league.

Garrison is still in the playoffs and has a legit chance to get his name on the cup and playing great. Vrbata and Vey were invisible agains't Calgary as well as our d-corps. Vrbata is a nice piece and a good signing but Garrison could have been kept. Garrison>>>>Vey any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Cap space that was needed because the Canucks spent 6 million dollars on a goaltender who was well past his "best before" date. Stop pretending that it was a straight up Garrison for Vrbata swap.

Besides, why does Vrbata get a pass for his playoff no show? People love to criticize the twins for not showing up in the playoffs, even though it's inaccurate.

Garrison is still in the playoffs and has a legit chance to get his name on the cup and playing great. Vrbata and Vey were invisible agains't Calgary as well as our d-corps. Vrbata is a nice piece and a good signing but Garrison could have been kept. Garrison>>>>Vey any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Garrison sucked when he was in Vancouver. The guy is a terrible skater and was expected to be our pp guy. He was signed coming off his 16 goal season and was expected to be the answer to the loss of Salo. It only took him 3 season to break that next 16 goal mark. He was weak defensively (not a PK shut down guy), never used his body and couldn’t hit the net. What was he providing this team that we already didn’t have on our back end? other than another 4.6 cap hit. Sbisa at least provides some size on our back end and throws a hit every now and then. Garrison is essentially a more expensive version of Yannick Weber. Who cares that Garrison is in playoffs. It he the reason Tampa is in the conference finals, Tim Jackman is also still in the playoffs. He must also be better than Vbrata and Vey

Garrison sucked when he was in Vancouver. The guy is a terrible skater and was expected to be our pp guy. He was signed coming off his 16 goal season and was expected to be the answer to the loss of Salo. It only took him 3 season to break that next 16 goal mark. He was weak defensively (not a PK shut down guy), never used his body and couldn’t hit the net. What was he providing this team that we already didn’t have on our back end? other than another 4.6 cap hit. Sbisa at least provides some size on our back end and throws a hit every now and then. Garrison is essentially a more expensive version of Yannick Weber. Who cares that Garrison is in playoffs. It he the reason Tampa is in the conference finals, Tim Jackman is also still in the playoffs. He must also be better than Vbrata and Vey

Sorry but i will take Garrison's 33 points on a crap coached Torts team over Sbisa's 11 point and a couple of hit season this year. Garrison played most of his time here on his off side with triple the points of Sbisa.

I strongly disagree Garrison could play defense and definitely way better than Sbisa and Weber, If he couldn't play defense, then why would he be the third most used defenseman on the lighting. He also is one of their key penalty killer and a component a key component on their second power play. He hit 30 points which is more than any canucks defender except Edler.

Garrison is a top 4 defenseman while Sbisa, and Weber aren't, to say that both are better than Garrison right now is idiotic.

I think we would have kept him over Bieksa if he was a right handed shot, unfortunately he wasn't and was stuck in behind hamhuis and Edler.

I'm freakin' tired of reading on cdc about how Garrison sucked here when he plainly didn't. And now he's one game away from the finals.

If all we're going to do is trade effective vets away to teams that want to go far in the playoffs, then let's just get this done already and end the pretend phase. After watching this team in the playoffs get trounced by a garbage team, I'm pretty sure nobody is sold on inflated regular season bs anymore.

Re: Garrison.

Maybe the reason he looks so good on D in Tampa is because with players like Stamkos, Johnson, Palat, Kucherov, Callahan and Filppula, the puck is in the other teams end a large part of the time.

What's the phrase, sometimes a good offence is the best defence?

Garrison is a good player who was redundant on our team. He didn't suck, he was just a redundant and hence inefficient use of cap space. He's basically a poor man's Edler.

He's playing well in Tampa because he's a good player playing with other VERY good players on a more talented and offense oriented team in an easier division and conference.

He's a prime example of why it would be poor use of cap to sign Franson this summer.

If we're going to complain about signing Miller, complain we didn't use that money to sign Niskanen instead. He would have filled a MUCH needed role and would have been cap far better spent IMO.

I'm not sold on Niskanen being a hindsight answer either. 4 goals, 31pts reg. season. 0 goals, 4pts playoffs. $5.75m cap for seven years?

At least Miller's contract is only 3yrs. Should have been two, but oh well.

Hardly hindsight. I was all over Niskanen last summer that he would have been the best available player to improve our team/defense just as I'm sure Green would be the best player available this summer.

Role we need filling.

Would have been better off IMO with Niskanen than Miller. If we can move Miller now we'd be better off with Green.

That said, just like last year, I doubt that happens.

Edit: IMO Niskanen is almost a hybrid of Tanev/Ehrhoff. He's got Tanev's smarts and good stick defensively but really good speed and better offensive instincts more like Ehrhoff (though at less of an extreme). Green's more pure offense. Either would have been a vast improvement to our top 4.

Hardly hindsight. I was all over Niskanen last summer that he would have been the best available player to improve our team/defense just as I'm sure Green would be the best player available this summer.

Role we need filling.

Would have been better off IMO with Niskanen than Miller. If we can move Miller now we'd be better off with Green.

That said, just like last year, I doubt that happens.

Edit: IMO Niskanen is almost a hybrid of Tanev/Ehrhoff. He's got Tanev's smarts and good stick defensively but really good speed and better offensive instincts more like Ehrhoff (though at less of an extreme). Green's more pure offense. Either would have been a vast improvement to our top 4.

Perhaps Benning is more interested in short-term help? Who knows.

Archived