The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumor/Speculation) Franson: Vancouver 'would be a very intriguing spot'

http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/770021

"Two days after saying he hopes the Toronto Maple Leafs are "in the mix," Nashville Predators defenseman Cody Franson is hopeful another Canadian club comes calling when he becomes an unrestricted free agent.

The 27-year-old spoke to Vancouver's News 1130 Sports Radio on Monday where he discussed the possibility of becoming a member of the Vancouver Canucks.

"It would be a very intriguing spot, three years with the Giants, Vancouver is a very interesting place to play," Franson said. "Playing in my home province, parents watching would be a great honor, the Canucks in the mix would be fun."

Franson played three years of junior for the Vancouver Giants of the WHL and grew up in Sicamous, British Columbia so a deal with the Canucks would be a homecoming for the blue-liner.

Wherever he does go, Franson is just hopeful that he will be put into a position to get adequate playing time, something he saw considerably less of after he was moved to Nashville.

"I want to play in roles that make me earn the money we are going to be asking for, the power-play role is huge for me," Franson said.

Franson had seven goals and 36 points in 78 games during the regular season."

What do you guys think? Is Franson worth signing? I personally think it wouldn't hurt.

Franson's still only 27 and will be 28 in August so he could be a perfect fit

Edler - Tanev

Hamhuis - Franson

Sbisa - Bieksa/Corrado/Clendening

I think if we get Franson, we trade Bieksa and have Corrado and Clendening rotate in and out of the line up every few games.

We would have to trade/remove Bieksa before going after any UFA defenseman.

Franson could take a hometown discount, can play big minutes, blocks shots(38th amongst defenseman with 132 blocks this season), can hit(18th amongst defenseman with 177 this season), can play on the PP(19th in PP points as a defenseman with 17 PP points this season which is the same as Green despite not being used on the PP in Nashville... go figure), is right handed, 6'5'' and turns 28 in August so he has a lot of good hockey left in him.

Pretty much an Edler-type player. Another one of those wouldn't, especially on the right side.

Edler-Tanev

Hamhuis-Franson

Solid top 4 that you could throw out in pretty much any situation.

We would have to trade/remove Bieksa before going after any UFA defenseman.

Franson could take a hometown discount, can play big minutes, blocks shots(38th amongst defenseman with 132 blocks this season), can hit(18th amongst defenseman with 177 this season), can play on the PP(19th in PP points as a defenseman with 17 PP points this season which is the same as Green despite not being used on the PP in Nashville... go figure), is right handed, 6'5'' and turns 28 in August so he has a lot of good hockey left in him.

Pretty much an Edler-type player. Another one of those wouldn't hurt, especially on the right side.

Edler-Tanev

Hamhuis-Franson

Solid top 4 that you could throw out in pretty much any situation.

Franson won't take a hometown discount. He'll expect $5 M at the minimum. A nice balance of size on the blueline is necessary in the West.

If only Franson's fellow Sicamousian (is that a word?) could be traded for.......

Franson won't take a hometown discount. He'll expect $5 M at the minimum. A nice balance of size on the blueline is necessary in the West.

If only Franson's fellow Sicamousian (is that a word?) could be traded for.......

I'd take him at that than Bieksa at 4.6M.

Good player but too much money for something we already have. Rather crack the piggy bank a little more for Green if we're upgrading the D and spending $$$.

Either that or play it safe and grab McQuaid.

(Or ideally both Green/McQuaid and actually have a quality 1-6 D-core again).

Good player but too much money for something we already have. Rather crack the piggy bank a little more for Green if we're upgrading the D and spending $$$.

Either that or play it safe and grab McQuaid.

(Or ideally both Green/McQuaid and actually have a quality 1-6 D-core again).

Green is overrated and will be overpaid for more so than Franson. McQuaid would be a nice pickup for our top 6.

We don't have the luxury to spend $5m on redundancy when we lack key role players on D.

Rather give Clendening a chance rather than pay 6-7M for an overrated Green.

Archived