The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumor/Speculation) Franson: Vancouver 'would be a very intriguing spot'

I was driving an ATV down Burtch Rd in Kelowna and saw Shea Weber crossing the street. I drove up to him and asked why he wasn't playing in Vancouver. He said he was waiting for Cody Franson's sister to tell him to demand a trade.

Lol I understand that my post doesn't have provable substance. All I'm trying to say is don't let your heart break when Franson doesn't sign in Vancouver. No need to hotdog.

Lol I understand that my post doesn't have provable substance. All I'm trying to say is don't let your heart break when Franson doesn't sign in Vancouver. No need to hotdog.

Franson is not what this team needs. My heart won't be breaking. I'll hotdog until I'm good and done hotdogging!

theres 2 tiers of players on van that need trading

tier one will get us the biggest returns

vrbata will get us a mid first rounder 12-23rd overall lotsa teams would want a 30 goal sniper

hamhuis olympics and world champs raised his value. should get a late first and decent prospect for him

tanev and jensen and a first could get us someone like (yakupov)

miller couod get us a late first (ducks please) or early second (sharks) and a prospect retain a mill in cap

tier two would be vets to trade to make room for youngsters and reaquire picks

higgins should get us at least a 3rd possibly a 2nd

weber for a third

hansen same as higgins

mattias rights 4th

richardsons rights 5th

sign franson and a mean puck clearing dman (maquaid)

sedin sedin yakupov

baertchi bonino kassian

kenins horvat virtanen

dorsett cassels burrows

edler franson

maquaid clendenning

sbisa bieska

corrado

lack

markstrom

Why the heck would Kassian be on the first PP instead of Vrbata?

To give us more depth on each unit. Kassian for the net front presence and has proven he can play with the Sedins. This would all depend on signing Franson though.

http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/770021

"Two days after saying he hopes the Toronto Maple Leafs are "in the mix," Nashville Predators defenseman Cody Franson is hopeful another Canadian club comes calling when he becomes an unrestricted free agent.

The 27-year-old spoke to Vancouver's News 1130 Sports Radio on Monday where he discussed the possibility of becoming a member of the Vancouver Canucks.

"It would be a very intriguing spot, three years with the Giants, Vancouver is a very interesting place to play," Franson said. "Playing in my home province, parents watching would be a great honor, the Canucks in the mix would be fun."

Franson played three years of junior for the Vancouver Giants of the WHL and grew up in Sicamous, British Columbia so a deal with the Canucks would be a homecoming for the blue-liner.

Wherever he does go, Franson is just hopeful that he will be put into a position to get adequate playing time, something he saw considerably less of after he was moved to Nashville.

"I want to play in roles that make me earn the money we are going to be asking for, the power-play role is huge for me," Franson said.

Franson had seven goals and 36 points in 78 games during the regular season."

What do you guys think? Is Franson worth signing? I personally think it wouldn't hurt.

So, is this hopeful in the same sense that Justin Schultz was interested in playing here?

regards,

G.

Maybe to give us more of a 1-2 punch? Our second power play line seems pretty dismal. Kass being a big body can stand in front of the net causing havoc with the twins, and Vrby can give us a little more success on our second PP line. Seems reasonable to me. At least enough to try it.

I think about it differently. It's time they started using the tools kassian has, rather than trying to get him to adapt to new ones. Put Kassian on the 2nd unit as the guy with the puck and let him use his excellent passing skills to set up teammates. Many guys can stand in front of the net, but not many can pass like Kass.

I think about it differently. It's time they started using the tools kassian has, rather than trying to get him to adapt to new ones. Put Kassian on the 2nd unit as the guy with the puck and let him use his excellent passing skills to set up teammates. Many guys can stand in front of the net, but not many can pass like Kass.

Ironically, I think that's what they're trying to do. They're trying to get him to stick with the style of play where he uses his body and creates space and confusion with the other team, instead of suddenly switching to trying to play like the Sedins using solely finesse and focusing only on his playmaking. He has to keep working at everything else when those skilled chances aren't there, and that's what will help those kind of chances come.

But Franson, he can work on a PP but isn't a puck mover like we could use. He'll cost to much to bring him in as a chance when we should be looking to get other, more affordable options for both short and long term.

I really don't see the prospect of signing him here as cheaply as folks think he will sign for. Of course he and his agent would say they are intrigued by any team that may show interest, it doesn't mean he will play for half price.

With the complete lack of high end UFAs this summer, and so many teams needing to add a top 4 D... that Franson gets paid just silly money, even to a decent team. I am talking over $7 million per for 5-7 years term. We will be nowhere in the ballpark by offering $5 million max.

We are much better off getting a lower tier guy, and trying to use our depth of forward veterans to land us a nice #3-4 guy in a trade.

The lack of defencemen on the open market also makes Hamhuis a darn valuable commodity in trade. I stick to my belief that he will be traded this summer and replaced by a younger role player who is either physical shut down, or a pure offensive threat.

I'm thinking he'll keep as many suitors in play to drive up the price. At $5 million (or more) then I'd want the Canucks out of the chase.

regards,

G.

I think Schultz genuinely had us as a potential team on a short list, where Franson has us on a pretty long list right now. He might even like to come here, but he also knows what he's asking for and our situation don't exactly mesh currently.

All I know, is that JB signed Sbisa to a 3.6 mill. per, contract. If he's willing to give a mediocre player that kind of cake, what's Franson gonna want?

Like I said in another post; It's those kinds of contracts that send salaries through the roof.

We dont need to sign any FA unless he's a stud. We use what we have, develope our youth and wait for the right guy and then pounce. You'all are to excited and thinking irrationally. Allow JB and TL to do what they do and be patient.

The issue is that I don't think we'll be able to require any high end D via trade without dipping into our prospect pool, and nobody wants that.

If we have Bieksa sitting in the press box, then we have 4.5 million dollars worth of cap space doing nothing for the team. Personally, I think it would be better to move him for whatever assets we can get for him. We're just going to lose him to free agency once his contract runs out anyways, might as well get something for him while we still can.

The one good thing about free agents, is that you get them for nothing but money and cap space. We wouldn't need to part with, say, a pick or a prospect to land Franson. And, we can always move him if it doesn't work out.

Personally, I'd like to see us move some of our redundant vets (Bieksa, Burrows, Higgins) for picks, and land one of the higher end free agent Dmen (like Franson).

I was wondering if you could inform us as to which teams would like to acquire "some of our redundant vets" for just picks, with no contract(s) or cap coming back to Vancouver? Further, as Bieksa does have a NTC in his contract I'm going to assume (on his behalf) that were he to agree to a trade then he will not want to go to a team which looks like they will not not be a Cup contender. I figure you have less than 15 options, likely a lot less.

And if they are going to do the Canucks a favour by taking on an aging vet, with high cap, wouldn't there be some additional incentive for them to accept the deal, like a prospect/pick coming from the Canucks?

regards,

G.

Maybe to give us more of a 1-2 punch? Our second power play line seems pretty dismal. Kass being a big body can stand in front of the net causing havoc with the twins, and Vrby can give us a little more success on our second PP line. Seems reasonable to me. At least enough to try it.

Stacking the first PP unit was what worked best when our PP was good. Taking your number one goal scorer off the PP, that has the best two offensive D AND the Sedins, so that your 2nd PP that only gets 30 seconds of PP time usually, can have some of the scoring power, seems really silly to me. I honestly cant see how that would make any logical sense.

Vrbata had 12 PPG, which is almost half his total goals for the year. Largely because of the Sedins. Squandering that by relegating him to the 2nd PP unit is sheer lunacy imo.

Archived