The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumor/Speculation) Franson: Vancouver 'would be a very intriguing spot'

Pair with Tanev from day 1 please.

Franson and Tanev are both right handed, fyi so that's not gonna happen.

I haven't seen him play a lot so hard to give much on the eye test but his advanced stats are excellent. Everyone says how bad he is defensively but his stats tell a different story. Right shot, offensive D-man, 6'5" but doesn't really use his size. TO was a hard place for him because almost every D man they have is an offensive D man so he didn't really get an appropriate partner. Every D man he was paired with though had worse corsi without him.

The only defenceman who can be considered an offensive D man is Morgan Rielly. Gardiner, Phaneuf, Robidas, Polak are more defensively minded or in Gardiner's case, a two way defenceman.

Yessss

Franson > Bieksa, Corrado Clendening

Miller and Bieksa moved out for a 2nd and 3rd and 4th

Edler Tanev

Hamhuis Franson

Sbisa Corrado

Clendening

Webber

So why did we sign our 5th dman to a 3.6mil/year multiple year contract? It'll make Benning look like a moron; therefore, not gonna happen.

Franson would be an upgrade over at least 3 of our d. 5m$ would also be a discount for what he could fetch. All we have to do is move miller, and open up that 6m for a d upgrade.

-----

The Province had an article about 2 days ago, showing our log jam on the back end. Clendening AND Corrado will be eligible for waivers next season, meaning they're all but gifted roster spots. JB has said he wants to keep Weber, which is another RHD to add to that side. You have to think that Stanton walks or is traded for what you can get. The end result:

Edler - Tanev

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Sbisa - Weber

Clendening, Corrado

Still a pretty green back end. If we were to bring in Franson, a big RHD that can put up points, that right side would look a lot deeper. I'd imagine it would spell the end to Bieksa, who let's face it, was terrible through stretches last season.

Yeah I know he said that- seriously what is he thinking? He wants keep miller, Bieksa and hammer, sign Sbisa and take himself if the UFA market. I am calling it now, we see very little done at the draft and come October we will all be disappointed. I had faith in Gillis early on then he went full retard, I had faith in Benning early on and now he is going full retard- Kesler trade, vey trade, Sbisa (my problem is he was signed way too early) Dorsett (great guy but that's big money)

Miller signing (where was the competition from other teams six freakin mill!!! 3rd highest paid guy on team and we would be better off without him)

The only thing worse would be not trading miller and I seriously doubt he will

It doesn't sound like you understood the Kesler trade.

As for Miller - what?

Franson isn't that great. He's not good defensively and he can't move the puck as well as most people here are thinking. He's definitely not worth the price tag.

Franson isn't a PMD just like Edler isn't a PMD.

He won't sign for anything close to $4M.

Franson's not bad defensively but a lot of people seem to be confused as to what a PMD is. Guys like Franson, Edler etc are physical, 2-way D with some offense. They are not speedy, offensively gifted PMD's.

Just because a guy can put up decent points and has a hard slapper does not make him a PMD.

Wrote an article on the frenzy of Franson speculations:

https://complacentcanuck.wordpress.com/2015/05/25/franson-frenzy/

Well written, and interesting. Would it not make sense to move Bieksa, as well as not sign Franson, in order to make room for our young guns?

Edler - Tanev

Hamhuis - Weber

Sbisa - Clendening

Stanton - Corrado

Not the greatest d-corps, but it will allow for Clendening and Corrado to get nhl time and develop.

Well written, and interesting. Would it not make sense to move Bieksa, as well as not sign Franson, in order to make room for our young guns?

Edler - Tanev

Hamhuis - Weber

Sbisa - Clendening

Stanton - Corrado

Not the greatest d-corps, but it will allow for Clendening and Corrado to get nhl time and develop.

Management MO = "Stay competitive".

That right side is also teeny tiny.

Franson actually shoots the puck but hits the net, so he could be a valuable contributor from the blue line. Although Toronto was not going to be able to pay what he will command so they moved him, Vancouver is not in a position to add Franson financially as the team's defense currently stands..

Franson is on the market a year too early. No way we can move Bieksa, can't afford to lose Hammer. Nothing doing here unfortunately.

If we put Bieksa on the market, there will be 20 teams inquiring. People underestimate the toughness level he brings to the team.

At his cap hit, he is still a bargain in this league.

I don't think that this year's UFAs are that attractive, at least not for us. That being said, i do think that Franson is one of the few attractive ones. He's only 27 and should be good for the next 5 years at least. It makes me kinda concerned though since he didn't really live up to the expectations with the Preds. Definitely a risk at 5M, but could also be worth it.

Archived