The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canada Blocks Nuke Ban

stawns

What the hell is a ban on nukes?? Are China or Russia going to comply?? It would really be a move to disarm ourselves, meaning the West, so those who don't can say, hands up, give us your stuff. No thanks.

What about North Korea?

What if ISIL got their hands on one, do you think they will say "Hey Mr. UN, we want to be part of Nuclear Disarmament, we didn't make one but we found this one so we are handing it over to you..."

you don't think the effort should be made? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

The effort should be made, but if the west disarmed, Putin would take the opportunity to further flex his military muscle. The West controlling nukes keeps the rest of the world Nuclear powers just enough at bay, though it seems North Korea doesn't really care one way or the other.

This infantile race to power and dominance through WMD's is pretty pathetic, and just shows the true cowardice of the human race; rather than face issues diplomatically, world leaders opt to hide behind devices that amplify their mental instability.

Reality is messed up, and truth is often stranger than fiction. In the end, we have no one to blame other than ourselves for the state we find the world, and society at large to be in. We created religion, economics, bigotry, hate and violence towards our fellow man. These are all ingredients that have been thrown into the cauldron and allowed to brew together, the outcome is terrorism, war, greed, elitism and general unrest.

Until we as a race truly correct our perceptions of life, what it means and what it's inherent worth is, it will be a long and arduous trip down the rabbit hole, and the inevitable fall of our society; just as every great society that has come before has fallen.

The effort should be made, but if the west disarmed, Putin would take the opportunity to further flex his military muscle. The West controlling nukes keeps the rest of the world Nuclear powers just enough at bay, though it seems North Korea doesn't really care one way or the other.

This infantile race to power and dominance through WMD's is pretty pathetic, and just shows the true cowardice of the human race; rather than face issues diplomatically, world leaders opt to hide behind devices that amplify their mental instability.

Reality is messed up, and truth is often stranger than fiction. In the end, we have no one to blame other than ourselves for the state we find the world, and society at large to be in. We created religion, economics, bigotry, hate and violence towards our fellow man. These are all ingredients that have been thrown into the cauldron and allowed to brew together, the outcome is terrorism, war, greed, elitism and general unrest.

Until we as a race truly correct our perceptions of life, what it means and what it's inherent worth is, it will be a long and arduous trip down the rabbit hole, and the inevitable fall of our society; just as every great society that has come before has fallen.

I'm all for dealing in reality........however, the reality is that israel is a nuclear power and refuses to declare their nuclear arsenal to the rest of the world, all while crying foul at Iran etc. In no way should Canada being endorsing that kind of behaviour, especially while we are at war in Iraq.

Until Isreal is made accountable for it's nukes everyone knows they have, there will be not meaningful purpose for the NPT. Canada's support here isn't surprising, but it sure is embarrassing. I'm tired of Harper's reign here and scared that it will continue due to the incompentence of the opposition and contentedness of average Canadians.

I'm all for dealing in reality........however, the reality is that israel is a nuclear power and refuses to declare their nuclear arsenal to the rest of the world, all while crying foul at Iran etc. In no way should Canada being endorsing that kind of behaviour, especially while we are at war in Iraq.

Agreed, but this is really just another surface issue; just another layer further obscuring the root of the problem from public perception.

The establishment likes it this way, it allows them to continue operating as they see fit, for if people focus on the wrong things, nothing will actually change. It's like a giant shell game.

My point is, there shouldn't even BE a war in Iraq, Israel shouldn't be in conflict with Palestine. Don't get me wrong, I'm not naive. I know that there will always be people/causes/etc who are incapable of getting along with others (The Kim Jongs, Vladimir Putins and Hitlers of the world and it's history), but fundamental differences over something that is completely fabricated by us just seems about as infantile as it gets.

Almost everything at one point or another was, is or continues to be fueled largely in part because of theological differences, and the indifference of people to see the root cause for what it is.

It always comes down to that same old argument, but every time I find myself bringing it up, I always seem to have to remind people that there is a clear and distinct difference between belief, and an organization of that belief to the point that it becomes an institution that is nothing more than a mirage.

Like all things, religion suited a purpose during a specific point in time. The problem, is that we as a race have not evolved spiritually enough to realize that it was a crutch that kept the world largely civilized when our understanding of the world and the universe was simplistic and ignorant.

We have stopped using it as a crutch, and know wield it as a sword at anyone who would disagree with it.

Getting back on point, the establishment relies on this exact sort of misdirection so it can continue unfolding it's agenda, known only to those few in a position to chase the dream of power and control, and the sickening need to feed our egos and leave any lasting legacy so as to become immortalized in the world's history.

It's cliche but nevertheless true; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Canada: We don't have nukes, but we support them. That's pretty much what I'm hearing.

It actually sickens me.

I'm seeing the usual rhetoric defending the same old positions, but at the end of the day, anything other than fighting against nuclear proliferation is unacceptable to me. We could abstain from voting, or vocalize support for allied nations without voicing a stance against nuclear non-proliferation. Or even better, we could vocalize support for our allies and trading partners while vocalizing our preference of nuclear non-proliferation. Instead, Harper lets war mongers affect foreign policy. This Canadian does not approve.

Netanhayu, Cameron, Obama and Harper are all bum buddies, and that's great, but it doesn't mean we need to support nuclear proliferation, in fact, in my opinion anything but speaking against it is tacit approval.

By no means am I suggesting the US should get rid of their nukes while other nations grow their arsenal, I'm suggesting there should be a global mandate to decrease nuclear arms. Our civilization is moving in the wrong direction and current Canadian policy is part of the problem.

Which Canadians?

Not this one.

I'm sure I'm not the only one neither.

As much as I hate weapons of mass destruction, having all the "nice" countries disarm is like banning guns from the average citizen - do you think the "bad" guys will hand in their nukes/guns?

People have some real illusions about who has access to Nukes as well. Pretty much anyone who is bed with Pakistan is a phone call away from being a nuclear power. The Pakistani nuclear program was funded by Saudi Arabia. As part of their relationship with America, the Saudis don't have nukes on their soil, but they most certainly have access to them.

Which Canadians?

Not this one.

I'm sure I'm not the only one neither.

As much as I hate weapons of mass destruction, having all the "nice" countries disarm is like banning guns from the average citizen - do you think the "bad" guys will hand in their nukes/guns?

Totally, I mean some countries stone women for being raped so why shouldn't 'nice' countries like Canada? It's not like us saying that's bad stops them!

What about North Korea?

What if ISIL got their hands on one, do you think they will say "Hey Mr. UN, we want to be part of Nuclear Disarmament, we didn't make one but we found this one so we are handing it over to you..."

Your breakin my balls Hans

https://youtu.be/UEaKX9YYHiQ?t=18

There is only one rogue nation in the middle east that has nukes.

Jesus loves Nukes I guess

Religion , the opiate of the masses

But when they talk about god they make him sound like a fascist

jesus christ was a pacifist

Most of of the crap they do in his name would probably make him pissed...........Jaya the Cat

Disarmament has become the urgent imperative of our time. I do not say this because I equate the absence of arms to peace, or because I believe that bringing an end to the nuclear arms race automatically guarantees the peace, or because the elimination of nuclear warheads from the arsenals of the world will bring in its wake that change in attitude requisite to the peaceful settlement of disputes between nations. Disarmament is vital today, quite simply, because of the immense destructive capacity of which men dispose.

Portion of : Haile Selassie's address to the United Nations General Assembly. Delivered 6 October 1963

You may be surprised in the nearish future

There won't be another war of that caliber until there is the appetite in a powerful country to punitively and openly slaughter millions of innocent civilians. I truly believe that having the technology to specifically target "enemies" and only slaughter hundreds of innocent civilians (number for effect only), there will not be war like WW1 and 2 for a long time. Any nuke detonated in a populated setting will be the work of a Madman. From reading your posts, I gather you suspect there will be some cataclysmic event related to religious beliefs. Perhaps it's disease or famine Jazz, it doesn't make much sense that it's a world war. Proxy wars sound far more likely.

I hope I'm right.

There won't be another war of that caliber until there is the appetite in a powerful country to punitively and openly slaughter millions of innocent civilians. I truly believe that having the technology to specifically target "enemies" and only slaughter hundreds of innocent civilians (number for effect only), there will not be war like WW1 and 2 for a long time. Any nuke detonated in a populated setting will be the work of a Madman. From reading your posts, I gather you suspect there will be some cataclysmic event related to religious beliefs. Perhaps it's disease or famine Jazz, it doesn't make much sense that it's a world war. Proxy wars sound far more likely.

I hope I'm right.

Well if unemployment goes up and population runs out of control it may be a welcomed thing. However I think most of the fighting will be with drones.

I hope I'm right.

There's going to be a few cataclysmic events. But for everyone's sakes, I hope you're right about the proxy wars.

Archived