The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposal) Moving up in Draft, Improving Defence and some Offseason Signings

Trade 1: Miller and our 1st to San Jose for their 1st and 3rd

Trade 2: Higgins to NYR for their 2nd

After these two trades we will have about 14.5 million in cap space (assuming the cap moves up to 71 million for next season). Miller would probably waive to go to San Jose to be closer to his wife. We move higher up in the draft while also getting a 3rd rounder. Higgins would definitely waive to go play for AV, and even though he was a fan of the Islanders growing up, I'm pretty sure he wouldn't turn down a chance to go play in New York for his former coach.

Sign Cody Franson for 5.5 million without NTC or 5.2 million with NTC for 2-3 years.

Sign Adam Mcquaid for 2 million for 3 years

Re-sign Richardson 2 million for 3 years

Re-sign Vey 1.4 million for 2 years

Re-sign Baertschi 1.4 million for 2 year

Re-sign Kenins 1.2 million for 1 year

Daniel-Henrik-Burrows

Baertschi-Bonino-Vrbata

Hansen-Horvat-Kassian

Kenins-Richardson-Dorsett

Edler-Tanev

Hamhuis-Franson

Bieksa-Mcquaid

Sbisa

Lack

Markstrom

I feel like Hansen could be extremely effective on the left side since he's got a good right hand shot which could be used better on the left. I'm also confident that Lack and Markstrom can carry the load in net with the improved defence. I'm not too good with values so please tell me if you agree with my ideas or not. Thanks.

Trade 1 is better than any other Miller/SJ trades.

Trade 2: Higgins doesn't want to be in NY or surrounding area. I think Benning will respect that as much as he can.

Please not Franson at that price.

Macquaid is okay.

Richie contract is too long; a year or maybe two should suffice.

Vey's contract is a bit much, but okay.

Bart's contract is a good bridge deal.

Kenins' is decent.

You're also forgetting that Clendening and Corrado aren't waiver-exempt.

Other than that, great job! It's better than most proposals I've seen.

Where did you hear that Higgins doesnt want to go to the new york area?

Trades are underpayments. Miller wasnt stellar last season. Niemi is almost as good. We would need to add.

And thats a lot of money in the defense. We would need to shed some cap space to fit under me thinks

Trade 1 is better than any other Miller/SJ trades.

Trade 2: Higgins doesn't want to be in NY or surrounding area. I think Benning will respect that as much as he can.

Please not Franson at that price.

Macquaid is okay.

Richie contract is too long; a year or maybe two should suffice.

Vey's contract is a bit much, but okay.

Bart's contract is a good bridge deal.

Kenins' is decent.

You're also forgetting that Clendening and Corrado aren't waiver-exempt.

Other than that, great job! It's better than most proposals I've seen.

lol thanks ive learned from my previous proposals...

Like the overall idea.

But

Need to resign Lack long term.

Franson would be good but 5.2 should be maximum. And go 4.5 if limited NTC

Also corridor and clendening and Stanton, don't need Mcquaid

Can anyone compare the two Defencemen Franson and Green?

Which one is better or which one fits our need.

Green is probably better offensively and was one of the best offensive Dmen back in his prime he used to be able to put up 70 points and 30 goals. He's regressed a lot recently and Franson would probably be a better fit since he's most likely gonna be cheaper and is also younger.

I'm thinking Franson will be looking for more term and will likely get it. In a league where player's are so susceptible to serious injuries at any time, hitting the free agent market around his age is often when they look to cash in on guaranteed money (i.e.: longer term).

Green is probably better offensively and was one of the best offensive Dmen back in his prime he used to be able to put up 70 points and 30 goals. He's regressed a lot recently and Franson would probably be a better fit since he's most likely gonna be cheaper and is also younger.

I wonder what Green will command on the open market...

yeh lol thats why we should go after Franson instead. He's reportedly also interested in signing with the Maple Leafs or us so thats a bonus

maybe franson signing with us will convince green to come here for better opportunity. :rolleyes:

Like that you are addressing D which is the Canucks biggest need.

Trade with SJ may be possible. Or something similar.

Higgins to somebody for a 2nd is likely.

Defense is a bit of a puzzle.

I think they will be carrying 8 D (and 13 Fwds). Clendening and Corrado have to clear waivers so they are either on the list of 8 or traded. As much as Benning seemed to like Weber, he may find himself on the outside as an extra body because they need some beef on the back end. Stanton as well, capable and cheap but an extra body.

I think they would be better on defense by simply adding a physical presence McQuaid. Bringing in Fransen and his salary would depend on what Benning does with the goalies. I don't know what he will do but if he does move Miller after all, what you suggest for a trade looks fine and possible and with the free cap space, Fransen could be signed.

Edler Tanev

Hamhuis Fransen (or Clendening)

Sbisa McQuaid

Bieksa (Corrado)

.....that's my list of 8D anyways.....

All pretty reaasonable ideas... naturally not all of them could ever happen because there are too many other teams and players as variables.

I think our defence is going to look quite different, Benning wants 11 NHL level defencemen in the system, that means we could end up trading out Corrado/Clendening and getting a waiver exempt D prospect in return who is close to NHL ready.

Bieksa would almost certainly have to be moved out, if only to open a roster spot up, unless we trade away either Clendening or Corrado (not impossible), it also allows cap space.

I don't see us signing Richardson, at least for that much. His health will be a big concern going into the season. Depending on how things are looking, it could be a good thing to have him on IR and a young guy getting some playing time in that 4C spot, but it could also simply be a waste of a signing because he could easily be too far into the season before he is better and never catch up.

There is always the option of moving Vrbata which would open up cap space, it is more possible than one would think. The return from a team like Pittsburgh could be great, and he may be OK with that move as he isn't playing with the twins often and has crappy linemates here.

Archived