The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Blues sign head coach Ken Hitchcock to contract extension

One more chance to get the Blues over the playoff hump:

Ken Hitchcock will be back behind the St. Louis Blues’ bench next season. The club announced today that the veteran head coach has agreed to return on a one-year contract.

That return was far from a certainty after the Blues once again failed to advance past the first round of the playoffs. There were reports the club was talking with Mike Babcock about replacing Hitchcock, before Babcock decided on Toronto.

But there’s no denying the Blues’ regular-season success (175-79-27) under Hitchcock. For them, it’s been a matter of getting it done in the playoffs, where the past three years they’ve lost to some good teams in Los Angeles, Chicago, and Minnesota.

There will be a press conference this afternoon to discuss the extension.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2015/05/26/hitchcock-re-signs-for-one-more-year-in-st-louis/

I don't think Hitch is the problem. Far from it. They were playing horribly just before he came onboard.

Some of the acquisitions made were poor though. J-Bo, Stastny, Ott. They need a bit of a shakeup, and maybe they're thinking Backes is better than what he is.

Backes/Oshie are absolute garbage playoff performers.

Backes: 13 points in 20 games (5/8)

Oshie: 9 points in 30 (5/4)

That's just terrible production for your first line players. They never show up in the playoffs, they're just not playoff performers, at all.

If the coach is staying, that means they're probably going to change up the players a bit.

Don't know if it's possible, but they'd be wise to shed some cap and free up roster space, and then get on their hands and knees to beg Sobotka to come back. He was a really underrated player for them.

I'm very surprised he accepted a one year deal.

If Doug Armstrong really thought Hitch was the problem, he would have fired him already. This has the feel of a situation where he might have wanted to fire him, but where maybe the team leadership group lobbied to keep him for another year.

Backes/Oshie are absolute garbage playoff performers.

Backes: 13 points in 20 games (5/8)

Oshie: 9 points in 30 (5/4)

That's just terrible production for your first line players. They never show up in the playoffs, they're just not playoff performers, at all.

Just shocking from Oshie, considering what he was like last Olympics. I think he's got more potential than to just write him off, but the clock is ticking for him to show something.

Just shocking from Oshie, considering what he was like last Olympics. I think he's got more potential than to just write him off, but the clock is ticking for him to show something.

You mean, TJ Sochi? Looooooolllll. Dumbest hype ever given. Was honestly so dumb at the Americans that were all over his nuts about a few penalty shot goals :lol:

Yeah, it's weird how unproductive they are in the playoffs, I mean you'd think Backes had a "Kesler-esque" gear in the playoffs, but nope. Backes doesn't have an extra gear, neither does Oshie. It's kinda sad really. Backes is sneakily old too, i doubt anyone realizes he's already 31..

I don't watch a ton of Blues games to be honest, but from a few fans i know that do, those two just completely sh*t the bed come playoff time. Same story last 5~ seasons or so too. Hitchcock sadly isn't the answer, i think they're just never going to be playoff performers on the Blues.

I'm very surprised he accepted a one year deal.

If Doug Armstrong really thought Hitch was the problem, he would have fired him already. This has the feel of a situation where he might have wanted to fire him, but where maybe the team leadership group lobbied to keep him for another year.

Albeit one that puts his work in and mirrors the effort he expects from his players, unlike Torts, Hitch is otherwise the quintessential "my way or the highway" coach.

He makes the decisions. Like it or not.

From what I have read, players respect that Hitch is extremely sharp, understands the game and has guys prepared. But not too many like him from my understanding.

You mean, TJ Sochi? Looooooolllll. Dumbest hype ever given. Was honestly so dumb at the Americans that were all over his nuts about a few penalty shot goals :lol:

Correct, massive hype job. But he was still fairly good I guess. Just surprised nothing has translated to NHL playoffs yet is all.

Should be interesting to see what Tarasenko commands.

Like I said when I picked Minny to beat them in the first round, the Blues are a scrap heap of spare parts. Good depth for the regular season, no stars to elevate the team to a Stanley Cup. I don't care who you have on your team, if your best player is David Backes, you aren't a contender. Maybe Tarasenko can be that guy in a few years.

Archived